Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance we can submit your post history to the club as a CV for Head of Fan Engagement?

Sure, but once they see how many bad dad jokes are in there, I might be appointed Head of Fan Enragement....

What a wonderful list, by Soapy V

I see shoots of green, Kym LeBoises too
I see them reset for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful list

I see guernseys of blue and monograms of white
Polson and Pickett should play in place of Kerridge and Wright

I see friends shaking hands, saying Dow's wearing 2
They're really saying play the youth

Yes I think to myself what a wonderful list

Ooooh......yeah......
Brilliant, no 1 on the Aria charts next week.

It's not just Ben we have to hide, that young Liam kid over in WA could cost more than we think.

With a supposedly super draft, I doubt any of the F/S will be bid on in the first 2 rounds.

Supporters always pump io their own kids tyres. All year Naish was expected to go high and then slid, at the end of last season the Crows fans thought Edwards was a 1st rounder and he ended a rookie.

I’m expecting the same for us, if they go higher that’s fine as it means we are getting good players.

Good work Jimmae

Some suggestions:

1. I would not have both Cripps and Kennedy in the center square at the same time. Suggest Murphy to rover, Ed Curnow to center, SPS to LW, JSOS to the flank (where you’ve got SPS), and Kennedy in the pocket for midfielders to rotate.

2. McKay at FF if he can also take 10-15% of the ruck - or someone can (other than Kreuzer, Lobbe or Phillips) who means we don’t have to rely on Casboult.

3. I would put Pickett at LHF. So following 1, it’s JSOS, Charlie and Pickett as our half forwards.

4. In Pickett’s spot in the pocket, I think Wright starts and either Garlett or Polson will take it as the year goes on. So our full forwards are Wright, McKay and Kennedy / midfield rotations.

5. Byrne has every opportunity this year but he would want to remain injury-free and do well, because he could easily be pushed out / become trade bait ... Would have Williamson as the DEF bench spot as cover. If Byrne works out, Willa also adds to the midfield rotations. Garlett could well find himself here, and Lamb if he reinvents himself as a small defender in the VFL.

6. MID and FWD bench spots ... Fisher and Cuningham are my choices. I suggest above rotating the midfielders through a pocket as well as the bench.

7. I agree with Lang on the wing, but note he missed out altogether on the Consensus 22.

8. So I do not see a spot in the Best 22 for either Thomas or Kerridge.

9. Dow and O’Brien to earn their games with strong form in the pre-season and in the VFL.

10. Quite a few players stiff to miss the best 22 ... Garlett, Lamb, Macreadie, Mullett, Polson, Dow, O’Brien, Casboult ...

11. Not sure we will see a stable 22 often this season. Bolts will want to give young players such as Garlett, Dow, O’Brien, Polson and Macreadie an opportunity in the 22, and there’s horses for courses with ASOS in to play on Franklin ... We also have seven 6 day breaks (3 with an interstate leg), and I expect there’ll be around 4 changes to the 22 for the second leg of the 6 days.
1. I'd back in a combination of Cripps and Kennedy at the centre bounce, with the quicker blokes rotating in that final spot (and charging in off the wing, HF and HB).

2. McKay will be a lock if he plays well in the pre-season.

3 & 4. I don't think Pickett will be able to cover as much ground as those other options, and he's probably the most dangerous around goals of the names mentioned. Garlett seems the most likely to me, but it could just as easily be Polson or Fisher.

5. Byrne is a lock; don't pay much attention to his first month back or his ankle injury at the end of the season: he's right to go. We're lucky to have someone so talented step straight in with Doc's absence. He, Williamson and Simpson will all add to the midfield.

6. I've got SPS on the half-forward flank specifically to denote a rotation. Then there's Charlie, Jack and the open HF spot.

7. Who cares? Anyone with eyes can see he's going straight into the 22.

8. It's touch and go, but they're in the 18-25 range IMO. Kerridge's ability at the stoppage, Thomas' ability to play a variety of positions (including defence) and their combined running power see them in the mix. Their skills have also significantly sharpened up in recent times as they seem to be suffering less injury issues.

9. Probably towards the second half of the season, but that's not a round 1 calculation. Dow and O'Brien are physically miles behind (and in different ways).

10. There'll no doubt be injuries and form issues that see this play out differently at times. From a tactical standpoint, I'm really not disappointed to see Lamb and Casboult miss, at all.

11. Macreadie got a gig because Weitering started forward, Byrne was missing at the start of last year and we were more confident on him than Williamson initially. Different landscape this year, but he's the next medium defender in line. You're 100% right about the other names, which is why I've mentioned them in my post.

That's a mighty dark horse you've got there...

Next to no chance he plays seniors this year.
McDaid is physically ready and has great skills. I'd be reticent to drop Mullett in defence too much, so he presents as a viable small defensive option if he's soaking in game knowledge like a sponge. Highly rated as a professional in the GAA, so I don't see why not.

Lots of bold statements being made. The mood is high as Xmas is nigh. I have one to confidently add:

Tom Williamson will never be out of the starting 18 .

Scenario: Selection meeting each week 2018-2030

Act: Where's Willo's magnet?...Slot.....Next

I've got Williamson and SPS on the wings .
Doesn't matter which side Cripps wants to release the ball coming out of the centre , im happy .

Doesn't matter which side Cripps wants to release the ball coming out of the centre , im happy .

Yeah, i've got him pencilled in on the wing too atm. But the more i think about it the more i think he will stay at Half Back because of his excellent distribution. He'll probably take all the kick-outs too.

It's easier to slot him onto the wing when "making" a team, but i think he'll play back again in reality.

Gun modern footballer though. Play him in either spot.

That's the way I find myself lining them up, also.

All being well, SPS will have more genuine midfield time and O'Brien develops as that other winger delivering bullets into the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see the centre square being Samo's domain. I think he thrives in the confines. Head over the pill. Tough defensive tackles. Great hands. Great awareness & evasiveness.

Cripps, Samo, Dow and Kennedy is a complete core centre square 4some come 2020.

Yep , in time those 4 look the goods and i rate Fisher as well .
For now though id let SPS find his feet on the wing and Ed Curnow "introduce" himself to the oppositions best centre square player each week ...

Yep , in time those 4 look the goods and i rate Fisher as well .
For now though id let SPS find his feet on the wing and Ed Curnow "introduce" himself to the oppositions best centre square player each week ...

I'd be just a bit worried that Samo would "lose interest" out on a wing. He's an "in the action" kinda guy i reckon. He hasn't really shown he's an easy accumulator so far in his footy career. More a quick thinking hard worker.

I think Dow is the kind of player to break in on a wing and flank for a couple of years as he is a power runner and goalkicker too. He's more positionally versatile in my mind.

But Samo to me needs to be in the action. It gets his juices flowing. I've got Crippa, Ed and Samo as my starting mids this year, with others moving through of course.

I'd be just a bit worried that Samo would "lose interest" out on a wing. He's an "in the action" kinda guy i reckon. He hasn't really shown he's an easy accumulator so far in his footy career. More a quick thinking hard worker.

I think Dow is the kind of player to break in on a wing and flank for a couple of years as he is a power runner and goalkicker too. He's more positionally versatile in my mind.

But Samo to me needs to be in the action. It gets his juices flowing. I've got Crippa, Ed and Samo as my starting mids this year, with others moving through of course.

Don't think SPS or any of them will have the luxury of "losing interest" from now on under Bolton , they'll all be working hard up and down the ground .
I agree that ultimately SPS shapes as a beauty in the thick of the action but he and most of the team are a work in progress atm .

That's a very valid point, in as far as someone losing interest.
No one sets out to lose interest, but too much time in the VFL, too much time being played out of position, too much time playing against your nature and little things can start to give way.

I agree that SPS wants to be front and centre and as we've already seen, he's up to it.
I don't think Bolton will wait too long, to free the bull rider.

Lots of bold statements being made. The mood is high as Xmas is nigh. I have one to confidently add:

Tom Williamson will never be out of the starting 18 .

Scenario: Selection meeting each week 2018-2030

Act: Where's Willo's magnet?...Slot.....Next
I've got him on the bench; it's a 22, not an 18.

Yeah, i've got him pencilled in on the wing too atm. But the more i think about it the more i think he will stay at Half Back because of his excellent distribution. He'll probably take all the kick-outs too.

Willo off HB is a weapon. The ability to kick the ball with penetration over 50 metres and clear the zone is a massive advanatge for us. He's also very calm back there for a kid

Last edited:

IMO Dow is a straight into the action pure midfielder. Like Cripps he likes to be in the action and will be with SPS Curnow Kennedy Murphy & Cuningham

Pickett O'Brien Polson Lang Mullett Garlett even Murphy can all play on the wing at times plus there is Simpson

My baby is due the first game of season. I'm hoping its born by then so I can enjoy the game. Cannot wait for footy 2018.
Congrats!

Might need to spend some time walking around the block or "in bed" several days out from the due date to perhaps speed things along lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back