Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else notice the young carlton boys on social media.
Pickett and willlo on insta and charlie on Twitter about being bound by blue.
I have a feeling this is IT.
The dynasty is taking shape. The strut will be back. Success is inevitable.

I'mm so excited about what we could expect out of Pickett next year. He'll never get a heap of touches, but when he does he makes them count.

I don't see how we get Hopper, Geelong have pick 20 (ours) which seems perfect value, and I have no doubt the AFL will let them trade next year's first aswell.
Geelong could easily trade pick 20 for Hopper and 2018 first round pick for Ablett.

GWS would barely blink at losing Kelly and Hopper. The amount of talent on their list is incredible and deep. If they continue to successfully trade out gun players for high picks and draft well, they can continue holding ridiculous amounts of talent and trade power for years.

The only thing stopping them having huge amounts of success in the foreseeable future is off-field issues (poor finances / support / not footy related things) and coaching.

There's a tipping point, I reckon, where if you don't retain enough of those young talented players past the age of 23 or 24, you become a breeding ground rather than a serious contender. Talent alone doesn't win finals and flags, you need a unified group of players - they need to get some continuity in their Best 22 over a few years to have the best chance at winning a flag.

I don't see how we get Hopper, Geelong have pick 20 (ours) which seems perfect value, and I have no doubt the AFL will let them trade next year's first aswell.
Geelong could easily trade pick 20 for Hopper and 2018 first round pick for Ablett.

All depends who Hopper nominates

No way they will give pick one for Ablett

IMO one of Kelly or Hopper is vital. Add them to Cripps Ed Charlie SPS Fisher Polson Cuningham maybe Balic and all of a sudden Murphy & Gibbs can be more outside and play up forward. Midfield depth flows into more goalkicking options and a much more dangerous side

Then add Rayner

In 2018 I would chase a 2016 draftee like McLuggage Berry Brodie or Ainsworth. Will have exposed form and be ready to step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless GWS win the flag I'm thinking Kelly will leave in two years time, which would give us more time too really rebuild our list through the the draft and then add a player like Kelly in his prime as the cream, would probably cost less too.
The kid is a genuine gun and if he is leaving, I'd love us to land him, love watching him play, but is the timing really right for us, if we're thinking long game, probably not.

I reckon the timing is absolutely right for Kelly to be signed up to us for next year. We have not been a "destination club" for proven talent for a long time (Judd or possibly Henderson for Fev are the most recent - I exclude Daisy since he was NO LONGER proven talent but just a MM stuff-up). In the meantime we have seen a massive walkout of talent and a walk-in of unproven youngsters (great) and last-chance list jumpers (Jones, Wright, Kerridge, etc).

Our salary cap should be low and flexible so we can offer big dollars. Getting Kelly would signify that we NOW see ourselves as having the list strength to be competitive. Kelly should be a perfect fit for Cripps and a great example for SPS and Fisher to emulate. Kelly would give us an instant boost in the area we are weakest in and getting him now will help set good patterns for ball delivery into the forward line we so badly lack. This could really help the likes of Charlie, McKay and SOJ develop into the damaging forwards we hope them to become.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-29/what-giant-demand-will-see-kelly-head-south

Interesting perspective on what it will take to get Kelly to Carlton.
Didn't realise we had so few decent picks (apart from No.3)

Interesting that the article references several times that industry people see us as having the highest chance of sustained success out of the suitors.

I think it's pretty obvious, but with some of the crap people like to sprout about Carlton it's not always clear whether other people think the same.

Sumner is a victim of an old fogies policy - signing Rowe, White, ASOS, Simpson and Thomas to one year extensions and holding on to Gibbs means there's no room for under 25s.

Sumner is a victim of not being an AFL quality footballer. And there is no shame in that.

We have plenty of kids in the team. If he was good enough he would have made it.

IMO one of Kelly or Hopper is vital. Add them to Cripps Ed Charlie SPS Fisher Polson Cuningham maybe Balic and all of a sudden Murphy & Gibbs can be more outside and play up forward. Midfield depth flows into more goalkicking options and a much more dangerous side

Then add Rayner

In 2018 I would chase a 2016 draftee like McLuggage Berry Brodie or Ainsworth. Will have exposed form and be ready to step up.

Didnt Brodie and Aimsworth extend their stays already?

Hopper will pick a destination and the destination list manager will get it done. That being said, poor compo for Casboult will make things a whole lot harder.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-29/what-giant-demand-will-see-kelly-head-south

Interesting perspective on what it will take to get Kelly to Carlton.
Didn't realise we had so few decent picks (apart from No.3)
It's the same debate we've been hashing out for months in the Bluemour and LM threads, and at no point does he raise the possibility that Collingwood didn't expect to finish that low, and such a DVI value for the total trade is a stupid premise to base discussons on.

Sumner is a victim of not being an AFL quality footballer. And there is no shame in that.

We have plenty of kids in the team. If he was good enough he would have made it.

The suggestion was we give him another year to get his body right.

I'm saying we're already carrying half a dozen who are holding us back and will inevitably be retired at the end of 2018.

Forgone conclusion they'll nurse him to 300.

I wouldn't pick him each week but what do I know.

Be interesting. Will we sign both him and Daisy? Simpson said he wants to play on but hasn't been told anything by club. We have apparently signed Rowe & White to one year deals

By my calculations that leaves only Buckley Jaksch Sumner Gorringe Boekhurst Armfield (ret) Graham & Casboult on the senior list without a contract for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back