Training 2017 - Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still can't get over the idea of a forward line including McCarthy, Walters, Ballantyne, Yarran and Bennel.

Gonna be so weird having such a dangerous forward line.

Yeh, I don't really like this instinctive football stuff. Ballantyne said "if I don't know what I'm doing, how is the opposition going to know?"
Yeh, but what about his team mates? They won't know either. That sounds like a Clive Waterhouse philosophy to me. Fun to watch, as long as you don't mind losing most of the time.

Having said that, I am still hopeful that is not what Ballas or David Hale really mean. Team rules will still be in place, with the opportunity to create being a bigger part of that

Well drilled game plan where every player knows his role, Hawks won 3 cups with such a game plan or instinctive football. Can you have both?
I took it as increased freedom to be creative in the fwd line. In other words if you have a shot take it. So often we have complained about our guys passing it off when they could have taken a shot.

Well drilled game plan where every player knows his role, Hawks won 3 cups with such a game plan or instinctive football. Can you have both?
Freedom to play their natural game within a team structure. As much as I want to see high intensity pressure and gut running, I want to see the players play with a bit more flair, a bit more FIGJAM if you will.

And we won how many? And this came from an ex-Hawthorn player ;)

There is a big difference between instinctive football and running around like headless chickens. Everyone still has a clear role, and I am sure forward pressure will still be very structured by the forwards. But running towards goal our players should be able to back their skills rather than trying to assess the absolute best option which rarely ends up the best option by the time they actually execute.

I don't think postie need to panic so much about ballas interview , instinct mean by him is if somebody room forward the other forward will drop back to cover that position .

Last season when Tab move further down the field to mark the ball , there is no option in the forward line he can kick to or running player he can handball to . that why ballas mention about chemistry need a bit time to work with.

I think coulda last post in trimming fat make a lot of sense about running player where some moving forward the other know when to track back to counter turnover or counter attack.

Last edited:
Yeh, I don't really like this instinctive football stuff. Ballantyne said "if I don't know what I'm doing, how is the opposition going to know?"
Yeh, but what about his team mates? They won't know either. That sounds like a Clive Waterhouse philosophy to me. Fun to watch, as long as you don't mind losing most of the time.

Having said that, I am still hopeful that is not what Ballas or David Hale really mean. Team rules will still be in place, with the opportunity to create being a bigger part of that
Well if a game plan is well drilled enough, it becomes instinctive. Sooo I'm pretty sure that's what they're going for. It has to be able to be executed with no thought whatsoever, or it'll take too long. Speed is key.

From Freo website

David’s come in with a few different little changes to how we’re going to play,” Ballantyne said.

“He put it as a bit more instinctive type of footy where we can interchange a bit with our talls and smalls moving up and down the ground.”

For Ballantyne, it allows more leeway to embrace his fiery and determined style of play.

“Hopefully, it will get us all around the ground a bit more,” Ballantyne said.

“I think it’ll help everyone. If I don’t know in advance what I’m going to do next, how is the opposition going to know? When you play on instinct it makes it a lot easier.”

From what I read, positively I use it as a platform of learning English here.

Key word in this interview
1) a bit more instinct type of footy
2) interchange a bit more with small and tall forward
3) get around the ground more
4) if I don't know in advance ( future) .

Last edited:

Yeah, Ross Lyon is still the coach I think. I am not expecting anyone to start breaking out the calisthenics ribbons. I got the feeling that the forwards had prescribed positions where they could take shots from or where they should be looking to pass off. A little more freedom about that sort of thing would great.

From Freo website

David’s come in with a few different little changes to how we’re going to play,” Ballantyne said.

“He put it as a bit more instinctive type of footy where we can interchange a bit with our talls and smalls moving up and down the ground.”

For Ballantyne, it allows more leeway to embrace his fiery and determined style of play.

“I think it’ll help everyone. If I don’t know in advance what I’m going to do next, how is the opposition going to know? When you play on instinct it makes it a lot easier.”

I read the article, but I also watched the interview. The words "in advance" have been added, as he didn't say them. He said as I quoted it.
I look forward to being impressed by David Hale's coaching. He seemed casual last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read the article, but I also watched the interview. The words "in advance" have been added, as he didn't say them. He said as I quoted it.
I look forward to being impressed by David Hale's coaching. He seemed casual last year.
I believe Ross will be in early to correct hale this year and next year if something is wrong . no way Ross going to approve something that is bad for another season. Today session is also on video , so even though if Ross is not around he will look at the video, and see how his players train . in addition last year hale is the development coach rather than forward coach in his first year coaching .

Last edited:
structures are good for defending and ball movement through the middle but offensive footy is all about player synergy, coaching doesn't amount to much if players don't trust each other. The opponents backline isn't going to let you do what you want unless they are god awful so instinctual footy is really the only option.

Still can't get over the idea of a forward line including McCarthy, Walters, Ballantyne, Yarran and Bennel.

Gonna be so weird having such a dangerous forward line.
yep. that's what we'd be saying if we were just about any other club, but we are the perennially cursed freo, so you can scrub a couple of names from that list and it's only December.

From Freo website

Playing on instinct is a must. It brings out the true skills of a player. People saying then how does a player know what's going on. Simple it's called reading the play.

structures are good for defending and ball movement through the middle but offensive footy is all about player synergy, coaching doesn't amount to much if players don't trust each other. The opponents backline isn't going to let you do what you want unless they are god awful so instinctual footy is really the only option.

Yes exactly
Instinct is everything in football and more you possess the better you are at attacking the goals

Playing on instinct is a must. It brings out the true skills of a player. People saying then how does a player know what's going on. Simple it's called reading the play.
I don't want to make any comment anymore JMT . just heard Yarran news all the plan might not even work now. So much of talent yet......... I remember the potential you talk about freo forward line on Monday without Yarran just not the same.

Last edited:
Freedom to play their natural game within a team structure. As much as I want to see high intensity pressure and gut running, I want to see the players play with a bit more flair, a bit more FIGJAM if you will.

Yes. A bit of cockiness would go a long way - look at Yaz in the few games he played. Oozed total confidence and backed it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back