List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

Again why sps is priority 1, with bennell fyfe neale hill and blakely. Completely different dynamic of outside, inside and line breaking
Because all of those players aren't great at delivering inside 50 except Hill and he's been pretty rubbish at it this season as well. SPS would help fill that gap whilst also offering so much more.

Why don't you think SPS should be a priority? Who do you think should be our first pick?

Because all of those players aren't great at delivering inside 50 except Hill and he's been pretty rubbish at it this season as well. SPS would help fill that gap whilst also offering so much more.

Why don't you think SPS should be a priority? Who do you think should be our first pick?
I'm saying, and have done for the past number of posts in the draft thread, sps should be our first pick. Not sure how you read my post? All good.

I'm saying, and have done for the past number of posts in the draft thread, sps should be our first pick. Not sure how you read my post? All good.
Ha ha. Sorry, I read it as a question "Again, why is SPS priority 1?" not as a statement "Again, why SPS (should be) priority 1" :) Classic.

My team for next year using current list

Johnson Collins Spurr
Mundy Pearce Crozier
Hill Blakely Weller
Sandi Barlow Neale
Walters Fyfe Bennell
YArran Tabiner Ballantyne

Res D pearce Sheridan Sutcliffe Griffen

Feeling confident the rebuild won't take long

My team for next year using current list

Johnson Collins Spurr
Mundy Pearce Crozier
Hill Blakely Weller
Sandi Barlow Neale
Walters Fyfe Bennell
YArran Tabiner Ballantyne

Res D pearce Sheridan Sutcliffe Griffen

Feeling confident the rebuild won't take long

Not sure about Sandi as a HFF or Yarran as our ruck tbh, and Tabs is mobile but not sure he's cut out to be rover ;):p

Spurr. Collins. Crozier

Hughes. A. Pearce. Mundy

Hill. Blakely. D.Pearce

Weller Tabener. Bennell(fit&healthy)

Walters. McCarthy(hopefully) ballantyne

Ruck:
Sandilands
Neale
Fyfe

Bench:
Barlow
our first pick
Langdon (if not back in Vic)
Johnson/pav if not retired could start to replace one of the starting 18

Fat burned :
Sheridan (trade)
Sutcliffe ( sucks but try trade)
Dawson ( sucks balls)
Mayne ( not signed up)
Suban (all grunt )

Spurr. Collins. Crozier

Hughes. A. Pearce. Mundy

Hill. Blakely. D.Pearce

Weller Tabener. Bennell(fit&healthy)

Walters. McCarthy(hopefully) ballantyne

Ruck:
Sandilands
Neale
Fyfe

Bench:
Barlow
our first pick
Langdon (if not back in Vic)
Johnson/pav if not retired could start to replace one of the starting 18

Fat burned :
Sheridan (trade)
Sutcliffe ( sucks but try trade)
Dawson ( sucks balls)
Mayne ( not signed up)
Suban (all grunt )
You're gonna be disappointed when most of the fat burned are best 22 come Round One.

No real surprises in this bunch of stats but thought I'd share anyway...

FORWARDS

Goals
Pavlich 1.7
Walters 1.6
Ballantyne 1.6
Taberner 1.2
Mayne 1.1

Goals Accuracy
Taberner 66.7%
Ballantyne 57.9%
Walters 50.0%
Pavlich 46.5%
Mayne 42.1%

Score Involvements
Walters 6.9
Pavlich 6.3
Mayne 5.7
Ballantyne 5.1
Taberner 4.3

Goal Assists
Mayne 0.9
Pavlich 0.7
Ballantyne 0.7
Walters 0.6
Taberner 0.2

Inside 50s
Walters 4.7
Ballantyne 2.1
Pavlich 1.8
Taberner 1.8
Mayne 1.2

Marks
Taberner 5.0
Mayne 4.8
Walters 4.4
Pavlich 3.9
Ballantyne 3.1

Contested Marks
Taberner 2.1
Pavlich 1.3
Mayne 0.8
Walters 0.6
Ballantyne 0.3

Marks Inside 50
Mayne 1.8
Pavlich 1.5
Walters 1.5
Ballantyne 1.4
Taberner 1.3

Pressure Acts
Mayne 19.4
Walters 15.1
Ballantyne 13.6
Pavlich 9.3
Taberner 8.9

Tackles
Mayne 5.6
Walters 3.6
Pavlich 3.5
Ballantyne 2.9
Taberner 2.2

And here are the average pressure acts for our mids as well...

MIDFIELDERS

Pressure Acts
Barlow 17.7
Fyfe 17.4
Neale 16.9
Mundy 15.7
Blakely 15.6
Suban 15.3
D.Pearce 15.2
Tucker 14.8
Hill 14.5
Weller 13.5
Langdon 12.5
Sheridan 10.8
C.Pearce 8.8

Ok I'll have a crack at my 22. I've gone in order of youth if there's a coin flip. I've tried to go with solid distributors from the backline. Mundy and Crozier specifically will play large roles. I've gone for a small but pacy midfield with elite delivery skills. Walters can interchange with Fyfe if we need a bigger body, but I'd love to see Fyfe play CHF and just own that area of the ground. I'm obviously making assumptions with SPS and McCarthy, but feel they're ones we'd be targeting to improve our forward line.

FB - Mundy Pearce Tucker
HB - Sheridan Collins Crozier
C - Weller Bennell Walters
HF - Taberner Fyfe McCarthy
FF - Ballantyne Apeness SPS
FOL - Sandilands Neale Hill
IC - Pearce (D), Blakely, Balic, Hughes

Noticeable outs in order of age: Pavlich (retired), Johnson (retired), Griffin (back up), Dawson, Spurr, Barlow, Ibbotson, Mayne, Yarran, DeBoer, Clarke, Suban, Pearce, Sutcliffe.

That's 14 outs. Somewhere around half of them will/should be retained as depth with the younger ones of greater priority. I'd love to keep Barlow and have a soft spot for Spurr and Griffin as genuine back up. We'd be more likely to keep Suban, Clarke and Sutcliffe, which I wouldn't want.

Others not in my best 22 or noticeable outs probably means definitely gone or just waiting for the inevitable: Mzungu, Silvagni, Hannath, Grey (really don't think he has what it takes) Langdon (thinking he wants out)

This is my quick review and with that in mind we should look to get whatever we can out of Spurr, Barlow, Ibbotson, Mayne, Clarke, Suban, Pearce or Sutcliffe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should add that I'm not suggesting this team will get us back into the 8.

MASSIVE question marks over that forward line. I'd hope Weller, Bennell and Walters could impact the scoreboard as goal scoring mids.

BUT this is the side I'd like to see play as many games together as possible.

Ok I'll have a crack at my 22. I've gone in order of youth if there's a coin flip. I've tried to go with solid distributors from the backline. Mundy and Crozier specifically will play large roles. I've gone for a small but pacy midfield with elite delivery skills. Walters can interchange with Fyfe if we need a bigger body, but I'd love to see Fyfe play CHF and just own that area of the ground. I'm obviously making assumptions with SPS and McCarthy, but feel they're ones we'd be targeting to improve our forward line.

FB - Mundy Pearce Tucker
HB - Sheridan Collins Crozier
C - Weller Bennell Walters
HF - Taberner Fyfe McCarthy
FF - Ballantyne Apeness SPS
FOL - Sandilands Neale Hill
IC - Pearce (D), Blakely, Balic, Hughes

Noticeable outs in order of age: Pavlich (retired), Johnson (retired), Griffin (back up), Dawson, Spurr, Barlow, Ibbotson, Mayne, Yarran, DeBoer, Clarke, Suban, Pearce, Sutcliffe.

That's 14 outs. Somewhere around half of them will/should be retained as depth with the younger ones of greater priority. I'd love to keep Barlow and have a soft spot for Spurr and Griffin as genuine back up. We'd be more likely to keep Suban, Clarke and Sutcliffe, which I wouldn't want.

Others not in my best 22 or noticeable outs probably means definitely gone or just waiting for the inevitable: Mzungu, Silvagni, Hannath, Grey (really don't think he has what it takes) Langdon (thinking he wants out)

This is my quick review and with that in mind we should look to get whatever we can out of Spurr, Barlow, Ibbotson, Mayne, Clarke, Suban, Pearce or Sutcliffe.

I don't mind it. My only knock is that the midfield is a bit on the small side but otherwise it's a good futuristic side, probably more late 2017 than round 1 though.

I've been surprised that everyone else has put Spurr in their team. Like you I think we need to move on from him but I doubt he's going anywhere. He's in our leadership group and Ross loves him, so do his team mates but if he's still getting regular games at the end of 2017 then it means others haven't stepped up and we're not getting the best from that area of the ground. Dawson the same.

Looking at that team, it'd be great to keep Langdon.

I don't mind it. My only knock is that the midfield is a bit on the small side but otherwise it's a good futuristic side, probably more late 2017 than round 1 though.

I've been surprised that everyone else has put Spurr in their team. Like you I think we need to move on from him but I doubt he's going anywhere. He's in our leadership group and Ross loves him, so do his team mates but if he's still getting regular games at the end of 2017 then it means others haven't stepped up and we're not getting the best from that area of the ground. Dawson the same.

Looking at that team, it'd be great to keep Langdon.

Yep this is ultimately the problem with teams attempting to rebuild. They continue to play their servants etc. If Johnson and Spurr play, it's at the detriment of guys like Collins and Tucker.

This year has forced us to play youth and had been great to give kids a taste and see what they have.

Agree with the middle being small. Fyfe and Mundy will still run through there.

We have class on most lines.

I think Fyfe would play 90% midfield in your team Cobbler as it's VERY light on inside mids without him and maybe even with him. Seriously, I can only count Lachie Neale and Blakely, who is on the bench?

Yeah true. Bennell can play inside, but he's not true inside.
I'd 100% play Barlow but only if he plays inside mid and then Fyfe can play forward.
I'd move Weller to bench, Hill to Middle and Barlow following. Hughes or Balic come out of best 22.
I think we're also trying to see if Walters and Hill can give us more inside.
We'll be able to see over next few weeks anyway with no Barlow or Fyfe.

Trimming the fat, hope the club is looking at off field roles, pretty hard to pick starting 22 when a third of your list is injured, and relying on veterans.
Looking again at Hawks, and why they are the best in the business with player management, training programs.
More like cross your fingers best 22 for 2017, should be best available across the whole club.

On Pav, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he played on in 2017

His leadership would be invaluable - especially if we throw a part-time coaching/development gig at him and he plays the big games, where he can help lift the team up. Whenever I've heard him speak, he's not talking like this is his last year, more talking about it doesn't feel like he's done (yet). No finals campaign or fight for a finals campaign could mean less load and could see him in Purple again next season.

He's still getting goals and working hard, he doesn't look done to me - but at the same time would be happy for him to sign off on his terms. I know Ross and the team have pretty much given him free reign in terms of when he retires.

On Pav, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he played on in 2017

His leadership would be invaluable - especially if we throw a part-time coaching/development gig at him and he plays the big games, where he can help lift the team up. Whenever I've heard him speak, he's not talking like this is his last year, more talking about it doesn't feel like he's done (yet). No finals campaign or fight for a finals campaign could mean less load and could see him in Purple again next season.

He's still getting goals and working hard, he doesn't look done to me - but at the same time would be happy for him to sign off on his terms. I know Ross and the team have pretty much given him free reign in terms of when he retires.
He'd probably make a good third tall, behind Tabs and either Apeness or McCarthy. Obviously won't be the perpetual motion machine that Mayne is but he probably wouldn't need to be.

I hope he retires this year. We need to move past him for our forward line to grow.

He would never be a third tall. Other teams would still put #1 or #2 defender on him and our midfield would still try to put it on his head even if Tabs/Ape were in a better spot.

I will always respect Pav but it's time for us to move forward. I bet Pav already knows this too. He'll do the right thing.

I hope he retires this year. We need to move past him for our forward line to grow.

He would never be a third tall. Other teams would still put #1 or #2 defender on him and our midfield would still try to put it on his head even if Tabs/Ape were in a better spot.

I will always respect Pav but it's time for us to move forward. I bet Pav already knows this too. He'll do the right thing.
You would hope after his 350th he will call it a carrier. He will be remembered as the best player for the club. To drain the inevitable out and keep going to the end of the season and possibly next season wouldn't help the club out or himself either. Time for the future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back