Analysis 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see Le Cras-Rioli-Ryan working - not enough defensive prowess. Cripps is a must have.
I have a tendency to agree.

However you really are assuming a lot about what defensive prowess Rioli and Ryan will provide. Perhaps they will have the fanatical dog after a bone manic pressure we jerk off over and Lecras can snag 3 joe the gooses a game.

Schofield can play on smaller types now he's slimmed down but Id back Shep to do better jobs on the likes of Rioli and Betts. Feel Cole will be a better small defender / mid then either of them playing on opposition smalls.
I wouldnt trust Schofield to play on smalls. He trails his opponent to the ball far too often these days and his body language when beaten is horrid.
Unless he has trained to do that specifically all pre season he is not the type to be able to chop and change role and have his mind 100% on a job

I wouldnt trust Schofield to play on smalls. He trails his opponent to the ball far too often these days and his body language when beaten is horrid.
Unless he has trained to do that specifically all pre season he is not the type to be able to chop and change role and have his mind 100% on a job

As the discussion re Schofield started he has slimmed down a heap which leads to the thought his role is changing.

There are small forwards and medium forwards, Schoi can cover the medium forwards fine but I agree the smalls like a Rioli or a Betts are to agile.

A mate of mine who knows one of the coaches reckons Schofield has been earmarked to play a forward pocket role, a la Mitch Brown
For east Perth? I’ll have what your mates having thanks

I
I don't see Le Cras-Rioli-Ryan working - not enough defensive prowess. Cripps is a must have.
I bet you wouldn’t of seen the Tigers and Dogs forward lines working the last 2 years either. It’s a mind thing. Alls those blokes are capable of pressure. The good thing is Darling and JK are probably the 2 best in the AFL and pressuring in the forward half. Look at the crows forward, not many of them are know as pressure forwards. Get it in there and let the boys kick a winning score

By the way I’m not saying Cripps is no good I think he is a easy best 22 player but going on his 2017 he was liability. Missed a lot of easy goals and couldn’t hit targets when I’m space. Preseason will tell who gets those spots but at least for once we have 4 blokes who I think can all play in those 3 spots. Pressure can only help bring out the best in those players. Lecras to a wing maybe? Only place I see is missing depth is on the wing

By the way I’m not saying Cripps is no good I think he is a easy best 22 player but going on his 2017 he was liability. Missed a lot of easy goals and couldn’t hit targets when I’m space. Preseason will tell who gets those spots but at least for once we have 4 blokes who I think can all play in those 3 spots. Pressure can only help bring out the best in those players. Lecras to a wing maybe? Only place I see is missing depth is on the wing
....and the midfield.

I’m a half glass full sort of guy. I believe Sheed will have a Matt Crouch sort of progress and be a star. Redden will be back to Lions Redden and Yeo or Duggan will fulfil that potential as a mid they have shown. Ah Chee will be the X factor we are seeking. I’m happy at this stage and think with a proper Ruck hitting it down their throat we will be in for a wild ride

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a half glass full sort of guy. I believe Sheed will have a Matt Crouch sort of progress and be a star. Redden will be back to Lions Redden and Yeo or Duggan will fulfil that potential as a mid they have shown. Ah Chee will be the X factor we are seeking. I’m happy at this stage and think with a proper Ruck hitting it down their throat we will be in for a wild ride
I like it

Hi
If so fortunate that I am on a go and

Look oo
O
I'd like to see Schofield grow a combover that flapped as he streaked out of the defensive half, having a bounce, arching his back and veering right to evade a would be tackler, then banging one home from 60.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I would usually agree but it sounds like both the young boys are doing ok defensively.
It is a key for them to get a spot in the team and keep it.

"But while the buzz around the untried goalsneaks has grown over pre-season, their line coach Jaymie Graham has noticed more than just an attacking chemistry that is improving with every session.

Defensive pressure has become a non-negotiable for small forwards, especially following the success of Richmond's mosquito fleet, and Graham believes trimmed-down Rioli and 2017 draftee Ryan will deliver more than just extra firepower.

"I do definitely see that (defensive pressure). Willie's got a really good balance," Graham told AFL.com.au.

"I probably hadn't seen it in Liam previously, not that I was watching too closely, but what we've seen so far in pre-season training is he has an impact defensively … and he's so quick.

"In the competition we've seen a bit of that and we think they can bring both sides of their game."

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2018-01-28/graham-excited-by-talented-duo

I hope both Riolli and Ryan play JLT and round 1.

I would usually agree but it sounds like both the young boys are doing ok defensively.

"But while the buzz around the untried goalsneaks has grown over pre-season, their line coach Jaymie Graham has noticed more than just an attacking chemistry that is improving with every session.

Defensive pressure has become a non-negotiable for small forwards, especially following the success of Richmond's mosquito fleet, and Graham believes trimmed-down Rioli and 2017 draftee Ryan will deliver more than just extra firepower.

"I do definitely see that (defensive pressure). Willie's got a really good balance," Graham told AFL.com.au.

"I probably hadn't seen it in Liam previously, not that I was watching too closely, but what we've seen so far in pre-season training is he has an impact defensively … and he's so quick.

"In the competition we've seen a bit of that and we think they can bring both sides of their game."

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2018-01-28/graham-excited-by-talented-duo

Add to that Le cras playing on a one year deal, one that took a while to be finalised he knows he isnt a protected species anymore.

At times Le cras plays a good balanced game with good defensive efforts but not consistently. He needs to get consistent.

Le cras should play every game as his last. Hopefully that is his mindset.

Add Ah chee and Venables rotating forward, both are quick, not small and like to tackle.

Cripps, Darling and JK are great defensively.

If our forwards can pile on the pressure we will be a different side.

Will get to see them in AFLX which should be interesting

After last night only change I'd make would be to increase Schofield's chance of getting a game.

Willie still a lock for round 1.

Schoey looks like defender number 7 at this stage. Nelson is like a chicken with it's head cut off and Cole isn't strong enough. Nelson im worried about cole i think just needs 12 months more conditioning.

After last night only change I'd make would be to increase Schofield's chance of getting a game.

Willie still a lock for round 1.

I think schoey had a poor year by his standards last year, but if back to his best would be a very handy third tall again this year. It makes our backline look more solid as well given barrass is great offensively but can still be beaten at times one on one. The advantage he has over emac is he has speed and offers us more rebound as well

Sheppard Barrass Schofield
Yeo Mcgovern Hurn

Looks like a very solid back 6, with duggo rotating through the middle and as our spare defender

Schoey looks like defender number 7 at this stage. Nelson is like a chicken with it's head cut off and Cole isn't strong enough. Nelson im worried about cole i think just needs 12 months more conditioning.

Cole has lost size since last year. Our development guys are stuffing up another blokes career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back