Analysis 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is the AFL.com view of best 22. I usually discount their input as the writers rarely understand the team dynamics.

The other annual part is that writers do not watch WAFL so have no idea.

I like the reference on Ainsworth. To say he is expected to slot in is a joke. They guy could not even break into Subiaco seniors so he has a fairly long journey ahead.

I expect the best 22 to include Ryan, Venables and Ah Chee. In addition, we will see who has had a great pre-season and is ready.

Players I am wanting to see push hard at pre-season are:
Partington, Cole, Venables, Rioli and Waterman.

Also - don't be surprised if Brayshaw is the first of this year's draftee mids that gets the nod.

upload_2017-12-2_15-11-31.png

Here is the AFL.com view of best 22. I usually discount their input as the writers rarely understand the team dynamics.

The other annual part is that writers do not watch WAFL so have no idea.

I like the reference on Ainsworth. To say he is expected to slot in is a joke. They guy could not even break into Subiaco seniors so he has a fairly long journey ahead.

I expect the best 22 to include Ryan, Venables and Ah Chee. In addition, we will see who has had a great pre-season and is ready.

Players I am wanting to see push hard at pre-season are:
Partington, Cole, Venables, Rioli and Waterman.

Also - don't be surprised if Brayshaw is the first of this year's draftee mids that gets the nod.

View attachment 441993

If Karpany can get a full preseason into him he's my tip as a big improver.

Post draft....

Vardy - Vardy - Vardy
Vardy - Vardy - Vardy
Vardy - Vardy - Vardy
Vardy - Vardy - Vardy
Vardy - Vardy - Vardy

N Vardy - Vardy - Vardy

Vardy Vardy Vardy Vardy

22 Vardy's should do it, would be the best goddam team in the comp.

Can’t say no to a Vardy Pardy

At least early in the season I'd like to see

FULL BACK:
Jackson Nelson ~ Tom Barrass ~ Brad Sheppard
HALF BACK: Shannon Hurn ~ Jeremy McGovern ~ Liam Duggan

CENTRE LINE:
Lewis Jetta ~ Dom Sheed ~ Andrew Gaff
RUCK/ FOLLOWERS: Nic Naitanui ~ Luke Shuey ~ Elliot Yeo

HALF FORWARD:
Jamie Cripps ~ Jack Darling ~ Mark LeCras
FULL FORWARD: Nathan Vardy ~ Josh Kennedy ~ Liam Ryan

INTERCHANGE:
Jack Redden ~ Luke Partington ~ Brandon Ah Chee ~ Daniel Venables

Phase out LeCras once Rioli has had a solid injury free run at East Perth.

I'm backing in Barrass at FB initially but if he continues getting out bodied by bigger opponents than he needs to go back to the WAFL and get his positioning and body (in the right areas) a lot better. Needs to be smarter about it.

Vardy over Lycett because he is deserving of first crack alongside Naitanui and I think is more of a forward threat offensive and defensively than SL is. About continuity in games early for SL.

Ryan obviously the most ready made of our draftees but if Allen can have a good run as an inside midfielder for EP than he comes into the mix.

Brander I'd give time to develop IN ONE ROLE at East Perth. Not as a swingman.
Swap Parto out for someone else like Brayshaw, Cole, Allen or Ainsworth and you have a great team!

Agree that Vardy >> Lycett at this point in time.

My rnd 1 team atm
FB Hurn Barrass Shep
HB Duggan Gov Yeo
C Jetta Redden Gaff
HF Ah Chee Darling Lecca
FF Ryan Kennedy Cripps
R Naitanuin Shuey Sheed
I Partington Venables Lycett Cole
EMG Emac Rioli Nelson

With a full compliment of players available I don't see how Parto will break into the team.

Not sure why Nelson gets a gig in so many Best 22s. I got annoyed with his ice-skate feet and defensive errors last year.

Went a bit off him, prefer Watson-Cole to start.
Yeah he will get pushed out with new talent over he next couple of years and can see him being delisted

Legit best 22

FB - Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB - Duggan McGovern Yeo
C - Jetta Redden Gaff
HF - LeCras Darling Venables
FF - Cripps Kennedy Ryan
R - Nic Nat Shuey Sheed

Bench - Rioli McKenzie Vardy Ah Chee

Hutchings is close, maybe if we need tagger, could drop Rioli or Ryan if we want extra mid.
IMO Nelson hasn't proven he's best 22 yet, especially when Duggan and Yeo are in the HB line.

I reckon with where our list is atm we’ll be pushing top 8 this year and if we can stay healthy and develop some familiarity between our debutants and new look midfield / forward line we can be a legitimate contender again by 2019

With a full compliment of players available I don't see how Parto will break into the team.

He'll vanilla his way in somehow!

Jesus that team is nowhere near top 8 quality. But it is different and new, so that's good

Also, where the hell is Brayshaw in everyone's teams? Surely he's in the mix being a mature ager

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll vanilla his way in somehow!

Jesus that team is nowhere near top 8 quality. But it is different and new, so that's good

Also, where the hell is Brayshaw in everyone's teams? Surely he's in the mix being a mature ager
With pick 69 as a mature age player, he's probably been recruited more as midfield depth, unless he shines at training and dominates the pre season games, and someone else drops off, then he might get a chance.

You say that but the majority is still the same as the team that finished 6th this year.
With nic nat coming back in, and a couple of genuine small forwards hopefully fit and ready to go. We just need a Sheed or Ainsworth, or Ah Chee or Venables, to stand up the middle and we'll be pushing top 4.

With pick 69 as a mature age player, he's probably been recruited more as midfield depth, unless he shines at training and dominates the pre season games, and someone else drops off, then he might get a chance.
if Brayshaw is a mature ager, so is Ainsworth, Olongo and Burrows. Being a year old than everyone else is not old enough to warrant mature age status.

Shepherd - McKenzie - Barrass
Hurn - McGovern - Yeo
Gaff - Shuey - Jetta
Cripps - Darling - Ah Chee
LeCras - Kennedy - ?????

Natanui - Sheed - Redden

Duggan - Lycett - ????? - ?????

Post Draft...

I think it make sense to drop Liam Ryan straight in, he’s mature age and could catch teams off guard in the early going.

2 spots left on the bench....and I think I’m settling on Venables and Hutchings to round the team off.

Shepherd - McKenzie - Barrass
Hurn - McGovern - Yeo
Gaff - Shuey - Jetta
Cripps - Darling - Ah Chee
LeCras - Kennedy - Ryan

Natanui - Sheed - Redden

Duggan - Lycett - Venables - Hutchings

Pretty happy with that but a couple of thoughts:

The forward line lacks height, but would be swinging Lycett and Natanui when required.

McKenzie, Cripps and LeCras are my bottom 3 in the first 18. If they don’t start the year well they’ll be seriously under the pump.

Interesting article on afl.com.au.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-03/big-preseason-not-debut-the-focus-for-new-eagle
We apparently have the most players on our our list with no senior games (16 after the draft). Have to start working some of them into the senior squad. You would think that next season we will have to debut quite a few of them to see what we got. Going to make match selection difficult.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Interesting article on afl.com.au.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-03/big-preseason-not-debut-the-focus-for-new-eagle
We apparently have the most players on our our list with no senior games (16 after the draft). Have to start working some of them into the senior squad. You would think that next season we will have to debut quite a few of them to see what we got. Going to make match selection difficult.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Interesting stuff and definitely testament to the last couple of years resisting blooding new players.

I think we should be looking at at least 8 debutants next year:

Ryan, Venables, Rioli, Waterman, Rotham, Brayshaw, Allan aaaand Watson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back