Port Adelaide v Fremantle, Adelaide Oval, 4.35pm

Gold Coast v North Melbourne, Cazaly’s Stadium, Cairns, 7.25pm

Hawthorn v Collingwood, MCG, 7.25pm

Sunday, March 25

Greater Western Sydney v Western Bulldogs, Canberra, 1.10pm

Melbourne v Geelong, MCG, 3.20pm

West Coast v Sydney, Perth Stadium, 7.10pm

ALL Melbourne times

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/e6c2933cafa6b545e6f0ccf5d8855479

Full fixture: http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/football/season/fixture

Last edited:
Doubt Vic supporters will get 8 games again next year. I’m sure we’ll play down in Geelong again, though.
I'm hoping for at least 4 MCG games next year, we really need some practice on the G'. We will definitely get a lot of Thursday & Friday night games again. We killed it ratings wise in those time slots this year.

I'm led to believe the teams we will plat twice will be Geelong, GWS, WC, St Scum and Brisbane. Always play Geelong at their shithole.
I heard Geelong, GWS, WC, Hawthorn and Norf.

I know it sounds bias because we are (generally) on the losing side of them but the Hawks vs Swans games have gotten so stale now. Usually just ugly, low scoring games full of off-the-ball scrapping. The whole "ooooooh will Buddy get booed?" and "OMG Buddy just hip and shouldered his old captain" sideshow is old news now.

I always said the Hawks and Swans games brought out the worst in both sides and you can go back over the years even dating back to 2011/2012 and they were usually games played at a pretty low standard. I would like to see us play Adelaide twice more than the Hawks even though they're harder to beat

I heard Geelong, GWS, WC, Hawthorn and Norf.
That's a bloody easy draw if true, 2 sides that couldn't make finals, and 1 that scraped in by percentage in the final week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping for at least 4 MCG games next year, we really need some practice on the G'. We will definitely get a lot of Thursday & Friday night games again. We killed it ratings wise in those time slots this year.
Previous year’s GF participants get Friday night priority. Expect Crows/Tigers to get more, stands to reason we will get less.

I'd like to see us hammer the Hawks in the first game then belt them in the second just to prove it was no fluke. Time to make them our bitches.

Hawks, Cats, Roos, Giants and Eagles are our double ups for next year (apparently).

I was under the impression that the double ups were from the same groups based on where you finished......top 8 double up with other top 8. If so how do we play hawks twice still???....or Roos??? And let me guess we play adelaide in adelaide and tigers in melbourne.?

I was under the impression that the double ups were from the same groups based on where you finished......top 8 double up with other top 8. If so how do we play hawks twice still???....or Roos??? And let me guess we play adelaide in adelaide and tigers in melbourne.?

The double ups are based on ladder position, but also, the AFL make sure that "Blockbusters" occur.

and tigers in melbourne.?

Id prefer to verse MCG tenants in Melbourne (If we don't have a double up), more exposure to the MCG where we obviously need practice.

The double ups are based on...

The teams are divided into 3 groups, top 6, middle 6 and bottom 6.

If you finish in Top 6 (like us), the breakup is either 3 - 1 - 1 or 2 -2 -1. In other words, only one double up with a bottom 6 side and either 2 or 3 double ups with top 6.

If you finish in bottom 6 you double ups are 1 -1 -3 or 1 - 2 - 2.

If you finish in middle 6 it can be 1 - 3 - 1 or 2 - 2 - 1 or 1 - 2 - 2.

That is what was released last year by the AFL, but as we know they make it up on the run so if they see an extra $$ somewhere they will make an exception...

I'm going to be devils advocate here. The whole concept that double ups isn't just entirely random from any in 18 is inequitable. How is a bottom team ever going to match a top team if they only play them once year in year out? The whole nature of draft is to try and create equality and then they go and create inequality in the match -ups!!!! Crazy. Likewise a team that has had it's window and is now on slide will continue to face stronger opposition. (Because they were in the six). Ok, I'll call it .....PLAIN STUPIDITY. Doesn't anyone have a brain there? Rhetorical question

I'm going to be devils advocate here. The whole concept that double ups isn't just entirely random from any in 18 is inequitable. How is a bottom team ever going to match a top team if they only play them once year in year out? The whole nature of draft is to try and create equality and then they go and create inequality in the match -ups!!!! Crazy. Likewise a team that has had it's window and is now on slide will continue to face stronger opposition. (Because they were in the six). Ok, I'll call it .....PLAIN STUPIDITY. Doesn't anyone have a brain there? Rhetorical question

There is no way this can be fixed unless the AFL goes to a 17 game season so you verse everyone once (Still the luck of the draw whether you play home or away verse your opposition), or a 34 game season where you verse every team twice. Neither of these will happen.

Completely random would not work because the AFL needs to control the amount of Home & Away games each club gets not to mention the timing between games. If it was totally random, you may play a team twice in a location to control the home games clubs get. For example, what if your 5 random opponents you all played away from home in the first 17 rounds?? When you have 18 teams, totally random would not work as there are more things in play.

There are a lot of threads on a 17 + 5 season, where the 5 extra games are verse the team in your bracket (1-6 playing for positions in the top 6), (7-12 playing for the last 2 positions in the 8), (13 - 18 playing for nothing). But there are as many negatives, if not more than the current system.

The draw is broken and it is what it is.

Last edited:
There is no way this can be fixed unless the AFL goes to a 17 game season so you verse everyone once (Still the luck of the draw whether you play home or away verse your opposition), or a 34 game season where you verse every team twice. Neither of these will happen.

Completely random would not work because the AFL needs to control the amount of Home & Away games each club gets not to mention the timing between games. If it was totally random, you may play a team twice in a location to control the home games clubs get. For example, what if your 5 random opponents you all played away from home in the first 17 rounds?? When you have 18 teams, totally random would not work as there are more things in play.

There are a lot of threads on a 17 + 5 season, where the 5 extra games are verse the team in your bracket (1-6 playing for positions in the top 6), (7-12 playing for the last 2 positions in the 8), (13 - 18 playing for nothing). But there are as many negatives, if not more than the current system.

Thx

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-30/your-clubs-2018-fixture-wish-list

What they'll want: Home games at the SCG on a Thursday or Friday night were a raging success this year, and the Swans want the eyes of those big television audiences on them again in 2018. Teams like Collingwood and Carlton always draw big numbers and a visit from reigning premier Richmond would also be on Sydney's wish list. The 'Pride' game against St Kilda and the Sir Doug Nicholls Indigenous Round are also important fixtures for the Swans.

The game the fans will be looking for: Hawthorn. At home or away it matters little, games between these two great rivals are must-watch and have been outstanding contests in recent years. - Adam Curley

Last edited:

I actually wouldn't mind a 17 game regular season then perhaps extended finals. I.e. include a "wildcard" playoff series over a couple of weeks or something.

No idea how it could work or anything but the idea of a "fair" fixture can only happen if opponents are evenly distributed (17 or 34 as you say).

But I think what we have has worked well enough. Nothing is perfect, we just have to accept the AFL want that extra layer of manipulation on fixturing & so be it. $ is king after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back