Training 2018 - Preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there, but missed the first hour or so.
There was lots of match sim and competitive work. Like others have said there is a lot more contact than previous years training. For what it is worth Darcy Tucker's parents were over as he is turning twenty one tomorrow. They were talking to everyone and seem wonderfully natured people. Just like their son. For what it is worth Darcy's dad says he checks the Freo Bigfooty Board training reports regulalrly as they get no info in the Melbourne media about anything freo (bar Harley Bennell of course) in the off season.

As far as training goes the most noticeable thing for mine is how much better shape the veterans on our list are in compared to a year ago. Sandy is moving a heap better. Ballantyne is making every post a winner and pushing himself in every drill. He was involved in everything in match sim play today and is notably fitter. Spurr is running laps but looking a heap leaner than the end of last season. D.Perace continues to take wrong options with ball in hand while looking fitter too. Johno is just running laps and probably the only one of the vets not looking fitter than last offseason. The star of the show though as far as our senior players would have to be Mundy who looks miles ahead in his conditioning compared to a year ago. Today he spent time as the deepest forward in some drills and he made some terrific leads.

Walters continues to look fantastic. Really is exceptional in clearance work.

Alex Pearce joined in everything today. His kicking has improved a ton since the last time he played for Freo.

Neale looks an absolute bull in match sims. He did some extra running at the end of the session and his conditioning is also most improved compared to a year ago where he was recovering from off season surgeries.

Ed Langdon and Tucker are both tracking brilliantly. Both have added more muscle since last season. Langdon is starting to use his pace more, but sometimes he holds onto the ball for too long. Tucker shapes as the ultimate utility in my eyes in season 2018 as he can play forward, back and midfiled. He has definitely gained confidence in kicking longer too.

As far as the newbies I made an effort to watch Giro and Crowden today. Not much to add on Crowden that hasnt been said other than to comment how easily he seems to get away from tackles. Really involved in some great pieces of play today. Giro is the original energizer battery and certainly can run all day. He is very slight, but definitely a great player to have develop on the rookie list. Will be too quick for plenty of opposition players at WAFL level for sure.

Logue went on a couple of great runs today. Exciting to watch. For what it is worth he had his hair pulled back (for a couple of training drills) so it was easier to judge his height compared to other players. Standing next to Cox it was clear he was at least the same height and perhaps a centremetre or so taller. He must be at least 193cm. Definitely key position size.

As far as player availability:
Ethan Hughes continues to run a ton of laps and join in some drills. Tabs and Nyhuis are both running a heap now and look only a week away from joining in the main training. Sean Darcy is running slowly and kicking so he is probably only a week or so away from joining in training to. He is not wearing the bandage on his calf now either. Apeness is only involved in some training. Stramidica is also only joining in rehab stuff and jogging slowly. Kersten, Hamling, Dixon and Switowski continue to build fitness running laps. Shane looks really fit. Pretty healthy squad with Bennell and Cam McCarthy the only players I noticed not out there.

Thanks for the detailed report we all appreciate that!

Sad to hear Apeness is only involved in some training. Doesn’t sound like he’ll make it.

Great to hear Tucker/Langdon are in ripping shape..with the hill brothers coming off the wings, one would assume they’d alternate from wing to half fwd with the two?

Very surprised Kersten is still only running and we’re nearly in February! As another poster mentioned, they must be grooming him to take croziers spot. Running/half fwd flanker.

Good to hear Mundy is in ripping shape..expect him and Fyfe to alternate between the goal square and ruck rover.

2018 is gonna surprise a few I believe.

Cam wasn't at training today.
His car wasn't in the carpark so that means, not in the gym or anywhere else out there.
his training last week however was solid. he is doing plenty of running work and appears to have dropped several kilos.
Perhaps the club has a changed role in mind for him; I know personally he started pre-season training early alone.
I'm tipping Cam will be back to his best or something close to it this season.
You know Cam’s car?
Do you know all of the cars?
Sorry, but i’m picturing a savant trainspotter type
By the way (great RHCP song) can any training watchers please give an update on how Sutty is going?
Thanks in advance for that

You know Cam’s car?
By the way (great RHCP song) can any training watchers please give an update on how Sutty is going?
They park in numbered bays. It’s not hard to figure out which car belongs to each player.

You know Cam’s car?
Suttcliffe is training with the defenders and not the mids. Is a bit lighter than a year ago. Moving well, but also turning the football over quite a bit in match sim play unfortunately.

So what does Cam drive? It would have to be a Camero if he has a sense of humor.
JD-rightfront_zpsemngye1o.jpg

You know Cam’s car?

Cam's a neighbor .
He drives a falcon but I won't give his number plate.
He always parks in the same bay or close to it in the shade at the club.

Cam's a neighbor .
He drives a falcon but I won't give his number plate.
He always parks in the same bay or close to it in the shade at the club.

So he does make some sensible decisions.

Bring on the reports team. Hanging for some more info on our new recruits and of course our secret weapon Strnadica.

I heard Kim Hagdorn say this morning on radio that he went to training on Monday and said that Nat Fyfe was a training beast and that Lachie Neale wasn't far behind him. He also said that Chris Masten was training the house down up the road and looks set for a big year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apeness was involved in all but full ground sims today. Pretty sure Tabs completed training (I left a bit early but he was still out there when I left) and he looks good, clunked some nice grabs. Big Sean was in the rehab group. Kersten was running laps again.
It was my first post xmas session and it is very evident that intensity has gone right up. The boss was prowling around barking instructions but also praising when he liked something. Was a pretty good session overall to my eye but Sonny had a poor session by his standards. I agree with others that Logue seems to have gone to another level.
Of the 1st year players, Brayshaw joined in late and looked pretty good, Cerra is taller than I thought, looks athletic but his kicks are a little floaty. Crowden's skills are elite! Dixon and Switta were running laps. Wilson and Matera were both solid with Matera showing that he is highly skilled and looks very fit. Meek looks quite athletic for a big guy and he did some one on one forward work in the goal square with Jones. He had Jones covered from what I could see.
North moves and kicks well although he got monstered by Mundy in a tackling drill. Giro is a little dynamo and doesn't do much wrong.
Fyfe, Mundy, Neale and big Sandi all look in incredible shape.

Apeness was involved in all but full ground sims today. Pretty sure Tabs completed training (I left a bit early but he was still out there when I left) and he looks good, clunked some nice grabs. Big Sean was in the rehab group. Kersten was running laps again.
It was my first post xmas session and it is very evident that intensity has gone right up. The boss was prowling around barking instructions but also praising when he liked something. Was a pretty good session overall to my eye but Sonny had a poor session by his standards. I agree with others that Logue seems to have gone to another level.
Of the 1st year players, Brayshaw joined in late and looked pretty good, Cerra is taller than I thought, looks athletic but his kicks are a little floaty. Crowden's skills are elite! Dixon and Switta were running laps. Wilson and Matera were both solid with Matera showing that he is highly skilled and looks very fit. Meek looks quite athletic for a big guy and he did some one on one forward work in the goal square with Jones. He had Jones covered from what I could see.
North moves and kicks well although he got monstered by Mundy in a tackling drill. Giro is a little dynamo and doesn't do much wrong.

Where do people think Crowden would play?

How did S and B Hill go?

Good report. I've been impressed with Meek too. Wouldn't surprise me if he dominates WAFL and gets a league game before most think he will.

What did you mean about Son Son? Lacklustre? Poor skills? Decision errors?

* me will Kersten ever pick up a ball.

Disappointed for Jones to be beaten One on one by the youngster Meek. One would of thought Jones would of been 3rd in line after Sandi and Darcy...maybe it’s Meek.

I thought Cerra's kicking style was awkward too. Didn't seem the elite ball user I thought we were getting. His action looks a bit different in this photo from training. As he is known to be classy by all the draft people I'm sure it's just a tempo thing at training.

Sheridan was kicking it flatter than him here too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back