Mega Thread 2018 Trade Period Discussion part 3!

What do you think the Crows should do with their Picks?

• Don't vote for that one above either (or this one)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to laugh at this.

You're quite demonstrably the least happy poster out.

If you had even the slightest self satisfaction you wouldnt feel the need to debase yourself by trying to achieve status through being the most servile, and you damn sure wouldnt take constant vicarious slight at the merest suggestion that the people that you're desperate to be servile to are flawed.

Taylor Swift’s squad are more critical than old Jen

Taylor Swift’s squad are more critical than old Jen

tenor.gif

Just thinking about our list, Shaz2012 is right - we need mids. Our forward line is stacked for the future - right now we have

Walker - 28
Jenkins - 29
Betts - 31 almost 32
Lynch - 28
Otten - 29

Fogarty - 19
Himmelberg - 20
Murphy - nearly 20
Stengle - 20
McAdam - 20

so we've got some tall ones and some smalls ones coming through. We need more, but we have a more pressing problem - our mids. We've got

Douglas - 31, nearly 32
Mackay - 30
Gibbs - 29
Sloane - 28
Greenwood - 26
Seedsman - 26
Smith - 26
CEY - 25
Atkins - 24
Brouch - 24
Mrouch - 23
Milera - 21

Think three years from now - the first seven guys on that list will all either be retired or nearing 30. The next 4 down will be entering their prime. It's time to look for the next generation, and with 4 picks inside 21 and our drafting record, we should be absolutely bedding our midfield for a decade. At the very least we should take 3 of those 4 picks to the draft - i'd be happy using one of them to upgrade 8, say 8 + 16 to get L/R/R etc, but we've never had a hand like this before, we need to play it smart. I would hope we've been in the ears of L/R/R saying, if you get drafted to GC, we'll be waiting with open arms after your first contract is up
Mids are quicker to develop than talls. Club also sees Fogarty as a midfielder long term (I prefer to keep him as a forward). We really don’t have high end talent key forwards coming through the ranks. Midfielders are also easier to find. If you get a chance to draft a high end KPF prospect who also happens to be a local you take it and back in your development program. By the time KPF prospect is ready, JJ and Tex are in the twilight years of their career.

Lovin' the dichotomy of all-in for a couple of potential superstars ... or play the percentages and get 4 or 5 good players.

I'm always trying to see both sides, but my heart says take Luko and Rankine at ALL costs. I know Hamish could produce something very special with the picks we have ... but I'd go for whatever we can get our hands on for everything that isn't nailed down this year and next.

I'd take our chance with Hamish plucking someone as a rookie or very late pick and just bank the obvious talent now.

Personally - I just want to see Rankine in a Crows jumper :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to care more about bigfooty standards than AFC standards :p
Nope, I care about both. I sent a very long email to Fages discussing my feelings re our standards at the Club. While I have next to no chance of making a difference in here, I have even less at the Club. Therefore, even if I can change just one attitude towards how they post in here, I’ve been a success. ;)

Just thinking about our list, Shaz2012 is right - we need mids. Our forward line is stacked for the future - right now we have

Walker - 28
Jenkins - 29
Betts - 31 almost 32
Lynch - 28
Otten - 29

Fogarty - 19
Himmelberg - 20
Murphy - nearly 20
Stengle - 20
McAdam - 20

so we've got some tall ones and some smalls ones coming through. We need more, but we have a more pressing problem - our mids. We've got

Douglas - 31, nearly 32
Mackay - 30
Gibbs - 29
Sloane - 28
Greenwood - 26
Seedsman - 26
Smith - 26
CEY - 25
Atkins - 24
Brouch - 24
Mrouch - 23
Milera - 21

Think three years from now - the first seven guys on that list will all either be retired or nearing 30. The next 4 down will be entering their prime. It's time to look for the next generation, and with 4 picks inside 21 and our drafting record, we should be absolutely bedding our midfield for a decade. At the very least we should take 3 of those 4 picks to the draft - i'd be happy using one of them to upgrade 8, say 8 + 16 to get L/R/R etc, but we've never had a hand like this before, we need to play it smart. I would hope we've been in the ears of L/R/R saying, if you get drafted to GC, we'll be waiting with open arms after your first contract is up
So if we take out the players we don't think will be playing in 3 years time from our current side, assuming:

Retired - Betts (34), Douglas (34), Jacobs (33), Mackay (33), Otten (32), Jenkins ? (32), Cheney (32), Lynch ? (31), Talia ? (30), Hartigan (30)
In last years (?) - Walker, Sloane, Gibbs (last 2 playing more up forward/down back than on-ball)

Key defenders - Keath (29), Himmelberg (23)
Other defenders - Gibbs ? (32), Brown (29), Smith (29), Laird (28), Kelly (26), Doedee (24), McPherson (22)
Ruck - O'Brien (26)
Midfield - Seedsman ? (29), Brouch (27), Atkins (27), Knight (26), Mrouch (24), Milera (24), Gallucci (23)
Key forwards - Walker ? (31), Himmelberg (23), Fogarty (22)
Other forwards - Sloane ? (31), Greenwood (29), Davis (24), McAdam (23), Stengle (23), Murphy (22)

So we need:
  • a ruckman
  • at least 1 key defender - possibly 2 if Himmelberg is played mainly as a forward (othewise a key forward)
  • rest of the picks on midfielders.

Get it done AFC. Embrace expectation. Don't run and hide from it amongst a gaggle of vanilla picks

He would prefer to play for a successful club, not one that has gone into rebuilding mode ;)

So if we take out the players we don't think will be playing in 3 years time from our current side, assuming:

Retired - Betts (34), Douglas (34), Jacobs (33), Mackay (33), Otten (32), Jenkins ? (32), Cheney (32), Lynch ? (31), Talia ? (30), Hartigan (30)
In last years (?) - Walker, Sloane, Gibbs (last 2 playing more up forward/down back than on-ball)

Key defenders - Keath (29), Himmelberg (23)
Other defenders - Gibbs ? (32), Brown (29), Smith (29), Laird (28), Kelly (26), Doedee (24), McPherson (22)
Ruck - O'Brien (26)
Midfield - Seedsman ? (29), Brouch (27), Atkins (27), Knight (26), Mrouch (24), Milera (24), Gallucci (23)
Key forwards - Walker ? (31), Himmelberg (23), Fogarty (22)
Other forwards - Sloane ? (31), Greenwood (29), Davis (24), McAdam (23), Stengle (23), Murphy (22)

So we need:
  • a ruckman
  • at least 1 key defender - possibly 2 if Himmelberg is played mainly as a forward (othewise a key forward)
  • rest of the picks on midfielders.

Think Peter J said we are getting Witts next year. Right Pete? :) Bit harsh on Talia mate. But we do need another KPD coming through, which is why I would be more than happy to take Ben King if he was best available at 8.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the age profiles of our inside mids is an issue that I think we need to address if we can. One of the problems we have is that this year, nearly all of our picks are those that you generally pick best available. You normally don't use those picks to address needs. So you take your Doedee at 17, Fogarty at 12, etc. But in the case of this year, I think its almost unavoidable that we find mids will be the best available choice.

Ben King/Rankine/Rozee at 8 and then RCD, Stocker and Butters is my dream haul. But Hamish knows best.

Ok, I haven't been looking at the pick swaps that occurred today...feed them to me slowly. I'll need time to digest each one...

Think Peter J said we are getting Witts next year. Right Pete? :) Bit harsh on Talia mate. But we do need another KPD coming through, which is why I would be more than happy to take Ben King if he was best available at 8.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the age profiles of our inside mids is an issue that I think we need to address if we can. One of the problems we have is that this year, nearly all of our picks are those that you generally pick best available. You normally don't use those picks to address needs. So you take your Doedee at 17, Fogarty at 12, etc. But in the case of this year, I think its almost unavoidable that we find mids will be the best available choice.

Ben King/Rankine/Rozee at 8 and then RCD, Stocker and Butters is my dream haul. But Hamish knows best.
I'm assuming Talia will continue to struggle with injuries & won't play much past 30. Our key defenders are a concern as Talia, Keath & Hartigan will all be around 30 in 3 years. One is likely to still be playing but we need to draft another one soon, or trade someone in.

but according to Keith Thomas they aren't ;)
Keith may want to catch up with his list management staff after trading out the outside run - Polec, Wingard & Pittard… but I understand Keith & Kochie are trying to sell false dreams for members to sign up.

Ok, I haven't been looking at the pick swaps that occurred today...feed them to me slowly. I'll need time to digest each one...
Isn't it SO BORING currently .....we know discussions are happening, but i miss the daily commentary, speculation & yes the wild rumors

Back