2019 1st Ashes Test - Edgbaston 1-5 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

With 2 weeks off and a tour game in between, doubt any of the quicks will be sore. The tour game should see Hazlewood, Starc and Neser as the bowling attack, none of the quicks from this game will play it. Batting lineup will be interesting, you could leave out Smith and maybe Head to give someone else a hit, but the rest of them need it so won't be much chance for someone outside the batting lineup to beat down the door.

I guess Bancroft could keep wicket for the tour game if Paine and Wade were rested?

so something like: Warner, Harris, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Marsh, Bancroft, Hazlewood, Starc, Neser + 2 players

TheP
English weather forecasts are insane, one will say heavy rain the other mostly sunny and then ten more will be at varying points between those extremes.

From the wc experience the met office does seem the best bet and they have it raining heavy early then some patches of sunshine with afternoon showers, my guess is we get maybe 75-80 overs at best.

It's grey and humid, humidity is rotten in summer these days. Might affect the ball moving.

Why is it so hard to imagine them batting for the draw?

I know they’re an aggressive side by nature but scoring 385 in 90 overs on a fifth day pitch is very tough. It’s more likely that they attempt to dig in than all out attack I would think.
From a mindset perspective I think it is tougher to bat for a draw than a win. Trying to be negative all day takes a big bit of mental application, going for the win has a touch of freedom to it. They will be dangerous if they decide to have a crack, I think its a bridge too far though.

Considering how the English team bats, I think there is more chance of them winning than drawing. They bat down to 10 as Broad is such a ****head who remembers how to bat against the Aussies.
I think it will be easier to bowl them out tonight. That 09/11 England team could really grind it out and could be very difficult to bowl out twice. This England though, not so much.

Considering how the English team bats, I think there is more chance of them winning than drawing. They bat down to 10 as Broad is such a ****head who remembers how to bat against the Aussies.
A few well placed balls to his oversized scone will see him s**t the bed.

I thought he meant that England would chase it down with him bowling.
Ah, fair enough.

Was going to say, the selection talk has become seriously tiresome given the position we're currently in.

Some people on here have been watching too much T20 and one dayers. To make 380 runs on the last day of a test match to win is pretty much impossible, especially in England. Can see England batting at snowballs pace, especially if they lose early wickets. Will be lucky to get to 250 after 90 overs.
Yep they need to score at 4.28 an over and only managed 2.76 in the first innings.

From a mindset perspective I think it is tougher to bat for a draw than a win. Trying to be negative all day takes a big bit of mental application, going for the win has a touch of freedom to it. They will be dangerous if they decide to have a crack, I think its a bridge too far though.

Agree, stonewalling also allows the bowling team to set ultra attacking fields and have freedom to deploy other tactics such as using part time bowlers and on a 5th day crumbling pitch it is rarely a successful strategy. The pitch offers little for the quick's aside from some variable bounce so Lyon, with Smith and Head contributing, will be the main threat....

Some people on here have been watching too much T20 and one dayers. To make 380 runs on the last day of a test match to win is pretty much impossible, especially in England. Can see England batting at snowballs pace, especially if they lose early wickets. Will be lucky to get to 250 after 90 overs.

This 100%. They won’t risk losing by trying to go for it unless they get a good start and are 0/100 after 30 overs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope weather just does not play a part in the result and let the teams determine the result not the typical crap UK weather.

Go Aussies and show no mercy.

Big day for Nathan Lyon

I'd start with Cummins from one end bowling short while the ball is still somewhat hard and Lyon at the other end

Bancroft out, Usman to open and Labrador in at 3 could be an option.

Any option that involves Wade keeping again is not the best option. It's actually the worst.
Paine let through his fair share of byes this test and didnt look great and on top of that cannot bat. May as well have Wade keep and play another bat at 6

Paine let through his fair share of byes this test and didnt look great and on top of that cannot bat. May as well have Wade keep and play another bat at 6

Wade will never keep again. If Paine struggled at time old lead boots Wade will let 3 times more through. He is a truly terrible keeper

Starcs yorker at the tail is what they would need

Great that works well in tandem with the 29 garbage deliveries he'll throw down in between that one good ball.

Starc is a great ODI bowler but can people stop pretending he's the same with the red ball? He's far from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back