2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Rivers is probably top 10 from his draft. If you end up with the 10th best player from pick 3 you wouldn’t be disappointed but you’d be looking at what you could of had.

getting him at pick 32 was a steal

I don't think Rivers would look out of place in the top 10 at all.

Think of someone like Salem who was drafted #8 at the same point of his career. Id have Rivers ahead.of him

He's a bloody good player Trent, very difficult to become a regular before the end of your first year in what is now the leagues best back 6.

It's actually extraordinary. I've convinced myself he's top 5 material actually.

At this stage the whole draft is pushing to be one of the best in years. Rowell when fit is a gun, Anderson coming on bigtime, Ash, Serong, Georgiadis, Day, Warner, Jones, Riccardi all already great.

At this stage the whole draft is pushing to be one of the best in years. Rowell when fit is a gun, Anderson coming on bigtime, Ash, Serong, Georgiadis, Day, Warner, Jones, Riccardi all already great.
Top end looks good but a big drop off after that. I think thats how it was predicted to go from memory.

Top end looks good but a big drop off after that. I think thats how it was predicted to go from memory.
Bunch of those aren’t top end though. The depth is the surprise so far

The way you gotta evaluate how good the Rivers pick is to look at the 2nd round and who has shown some potential so far.
Who has sex god trent shown more than.

Dylan Williams- Trent's Better so far
Harry Schoenberg- 50/50 think he's good but maybe Trent bit better.
Jackson Mead- Trent's Better so far
Will Gould- Trent's Better so far
Jeremy Sharp- Trent's Better so far
Josh Worrell- Trent's Better so far
Finn Maginness- Trent's Better so far
Harry Jones- Will be good, Trent's got a years headstart effectively. KPF obviously longer.
Charlie Comben- Injured but will be good.
Jack Mahony- Trent's Better so far
Flynn Perez- Injured
Elijah Taylor- SHEEEESH
Keidean Coleman- Trent's Better so far
Nick Bryan- Too early + he's a ruckman.
Chad Warner- Rate this dude, probably better than Trent/
Jay Rantall- Trent's Better so far
Francis Evans- Trent's Better so far
Ronin O'connor- Trent's Better so far
Noah Cumberland- Trent's Better so far
Will Martyn- Trent's Better so far

Only notable player past 2nd round who i think is better/on par with Trent is Jake Riccardi who was mature age anyway.
Only a few out of that bunch have cemented best 22 spots. Schoenberg, Jones, Warner and many others still in and out or plodding around in the VFL.

The way you gotta evaluate how good the Rivers pick is to look at the 2nd round and who has shown some potential so far.
Who has sex god trent shown more than.

Dylan Williams- Trent's Better so far
Harry Schoenberg- 50/50 think he's good but maybe Trent bit better.
Jackson Mead- Trent's Better so far
Will Gould- Trent's Better so far
Jeremy Sharp- Trent's Better so far
Josh Worrell- Trent's Better so far
Finn Maginness- Trent's Better so far
Harry Jones- Will be good, Trent's got a years headstart effectively. KPF obviously longer.
Charlie Comben- Injured but will be good.
Jack Mahony- Trent's Better so far
Flynn Perez- Injured
Elijah Taylor- SHEEEESH
Keidean Coleman- Trent's Better so far
Nick Bryan- Too early + he's a ruckman.
Chad Warner- Rate this dude, probably better than Trent/
Jay Rantall- Trent's Better so far
Francis Evans- Trent's Better so far
Ronin O'connor- Trent's Better so far
Noah Cumberland- Trent's Better so far
Will Martyn- Trent's Better so far

Only notable player past 2nd round who i think is better/on par with Trent is Jake Riccardi who was mature age anyway.
Only a few out of that bunch have cemented best 22 spots. Schoenberg, Jones, Warner and many others still in and out or plodding around in the VFL.

I don't think anyone is arguing it wasn't an amazing second round pick lol cause it was. You can build a premiership side in 2-3 drafts with picks like that.

I don't think he's top 5 though, doesn't have the weapons. Top 10 yeah maybe which is a bloody steal.

I don't think anyone is arguing it wasn't an amazing second round pick lol cause it was. You can build a premiership side in 2-3 drafts with picks like that.

I don't think he's top 5 though, doesn't have the weapons. Top 10 yeah maybe which is a bloody steal.
Just kinda saying that there wasn't a lot of depth, sees him as a top 10 pick if an entire redraft was done.

Also like all he was drafted with its his second year and many of those players will look better over time as they develop. S
Same reason most Rising Star winners don't end up being the best players in their draft.

Just kinda saying that there wasn't a lot of depth, sees him as a top 10 pick if an entire redraft was done.
Entire draft was made up of like 60 picks which is crazy low.

Rivers and Hayden Young will be an interesting comparison in a few years time once Young has had a decent run at it. Young, pick #7 highly rated for his kicking and attacking ability off half back. Rivers possibly ends up being the better defender with his work rate, endeavour and reliable ball use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lunacy to suggest Rivers is top 5 good. Not that kind of player.

Let me know how many other players in premierships contenders with #1 rated backlines in the past are regulars by year 2. A quality backline is easily the hardest group to break into for a youngster. Easily. Usually full of vets.

He may not have the flash like Kozzy or Jackson but you wouldnt be upset if you took him at #5 at all right now.

Last edited:

Corey Enright didn't have weapons, Trent has a looooong way to go to reach that I know, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't look out of place as a top 5 pick now in his corresponding draft given what we know.

It's worth keeping in mind that when Rivers was drafted Jason Taylor had said that in a few years time Rivers has the potential to play midfield as well.
The Corey Enright comparison is spot on. Won't get the kudos externally like Koz and Jackson but will be highly respected member for some of his selfless acts.

The Richmond spoil was just a glimpse into that.

Those are your words, I would be thinking he's very solid but gee whiz there was some talent around for pick 3 that's better
Yeah Rivers looks like he could be a gritty hard work backman who plays 200 games

A little bit like Jetta, a fan favourite and gun but not the player you use pick 3 on

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

The kinds of players you want with top 5 picks are midfielders who are either extremely explosive and/or have sublime kicking/marking skills and/or have big forward impact, or top shelf KPFs. Or generationally athletic ruckmen;) Much easier to grab reliable running backs or key defenders or small forwards later in the draft. You’d be happy to cough up a top pick for exceptions like May or Lever or Kossie because they’re exceptional at kicking/intercepting/etc but I’m not sure Rivers has shown he can impact to that extent yet. Maybe it’ll reveal itself, but I think most recruiters would rather take the risk on a mid/KPF with a high pick than go for a super reliable half back type unless they’re someone like Lachie Ash who is freakishly quick and a great kick

The kinds of players you want with top 5 picks are midfielders who are either extremely explosive and/or have sublime kicking/marking skills and/or have big forward impact, or top shelf KPFs. Or generationally athletic ruckmen;) Much easier to grab reliable running backs or key defenders or small forwards later in the draft. You’d be happy to cough up a top pick for exceptions like May or Lever or Kossie because they’re exceptional at kicking/intercepting/etc but I’m not sure Rivers has shown he can impact to that extent yet. Maybe it’ll reveal itself, but I think most recruiters would rather take the risk on a mid/KPF with a high pick than go for a super reliable half back type unless they’re someone like Lachie Ash who is freakishly quick and a great kick
Top 5 is about tools more so than position, just so happens that those with the tools are your gun mids or keys.
Tools being:
Explosiveness
Height
Speed
Kicking
Vision
Goalkicking
One on one ability
Vertical leap
Footy IQ
general 'uncoachable skills'

Ash is a great example, elite speed, elite kicking and decision making, footy IQ through the roof, good 1on1, also has potential to run through the midfield in future as he's 186cm which is sufficient for a supreme mid.

Intangibles like footy nous, courage, leadership, the ability to learn quickly are all hard to measure pre draft and some of the hardest qualities to find.

Reckon he has all of them in spades. His one on one defending for a kid who was supposed to be a rebounding defender has come on so much in 12 months. Improvement in such an area in such a short space of time is highly uncommon. Indicates to me he's a kid who isn't worried about just getting a kick like most, cares about team success, will do whatever necessary to improve his game, has the ability to absorb knowledge at a higher rate than most and put it to use.

Yeah Rivers looks like he could be a gritty hard work backman who plays 200 games

A little bit like Jetta, a fan favourite and gun but not the player you use pick 3 on

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Better than Jetta, for as much as I will always love Nev, he hasn't ever been able to kick as well as Rivers or link up on the rebound. Rivers does have an offensive side to his game.

I compared him to Joel Smith (the Hawthorn and St.Kilda one after we drafted him) and I reckon that comparison is pretty good still. Smith was a very good player but would have been even better if not for injury.

Top 5 is about tools more so than position, just so happens that those with the tools are your gun mids or keys.
Tools being:
Explosiveness
Height
Speed
Kicking
Vision
Goalkicking
One on one ability
Vertical leap
Footy IQ
general 'uncoachable skills'

Ash is a great example, elite speed, elite kicking and decision making, footy IQ through the roof, good 1on1, also has potential to run through the midfield in future as he's 186cm which is sufficient for a supreme mid.
If you have those tools you’re more likely to be played in damaging positions at both junior and senior level.

Corey Enright didn't have weapons, Trent has a looooong way to go to reach that I know, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't look out of place as a top 5 pick now in his corresponding draft given what we know.
I was bored, so I did some digging, and you're pretty right I reckon.

Other top 5 potentials from the 1999 draft:
Pavlich
Joel Corey
Darren Glass
Bob Murphy
Jono Brown
Chappy
Ling

Enright sits alongside those players easily in terms of his output and his influence on games over his career.

Mostly what this tells me though is how ******* good Geelong's draft haul was that year.
Also, Cameron Bruce at 64 was an absolute steal for us.

I was bored, so I did some digging, and you're pretty right I reckon.

Other top 5 potentials from the 1999 draft:
Pavlich
Joel Corey
Darren Glass
Bob Murphy
Jono Brown
Chappy
Ling

Enright sits alongside those players easily in terms of his output and his influence on games over his career.

Mostly what this tells me though is how ******* good Geelong's draft haul was that year.
Also, Cameron Bruce at 64 was an absolute steal for us.

Yea , Stephen Wells will be living off that draft for as long as he wants. Incredible, Chappy taken in the 30's and Enright in the late 40's ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back