2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Most interesting part of having picks 3 and 8 is the mindgames IMO. Adelaide, Sydney and Freo will be trying to psych us out of taking the player they want at 3 by making us nervous that they might take another player we want at 8, which would put us in two minds about our strategy. Simultaneously we should be heavily suggesting we're going to take a certain player at 3 to get a feel of who those teams want and thus who might slide to 8.

Of course you might suggest we should just take our favourite player at 3 even if we think there's a chance they'll slide to 8, but that's boring isn't it.

I hear it’s still a possibility we might pick swap with GWS on draft day. 3 for 6 and their 2020 1st rounder. If they finish top four in 2020 (quite possible) then we’d be looking at a late first rounder. The choice would then seem to be:

Pick 3 and 8

or

Pick 6 and 8 and say pick 15 (2020)

Line ball isn’t it. I suppose it comes down to how highly we rate Young if he’s the clear standout after Rowell/Anderson. If they rate him on a relative par with Serong, Flanders, Ash and Kemp then it might be worth doing a deal with the Giants.

I think we should be really focused on getting a star into the club, though. If there is a clear gap between Pick 3 and the next bracket we should be taking that kid.

Last edited:

I hear it’s still a possibility we might still pick swap with GWS on draft day. 3 for 6 and their 2020 1st rounder. If they finish top four in 2020 (quite possible) then we’d be looking at a late first rounder. The choice would then seem to be:

Pick 3 and 8

or

Line ball isn’t it. I suppose it comes down to how highly we rate Young if he’s the clear standout after Rowell/Anderson. If they rate him on a relative par with Serong, Flanders, Ash and Kemp then it might be worth doing a deal with the Giants.

I think we should be really focused on getting a star into the club, though. If there is a clear gap between Pick 3 and the next bracket we should be taking that kid.
I cannot see why we would or should give GWS a free hit to pick up Green. Let them use pick 6 for him take 2 good [hopefully] players this year and we can trade Trac to the bloos next year after he doesn't break out for a 1st rounder.

I hear it’s still a possibility we might still pick swap with GWS on draft day. 3 for 6 and their 2020 1st rounder. If they finish top four in 2020 (quite possible) then we’d be looking at a late first rounder. The choice would then seem to be:

Pick 3 and 8

or

I’ll be surprised if giants aren’t making a huge play for pick 3. Green won’t make it to 6. Although what pick 15 is now for 2020 might be closer to 20 as the draft is apparently heavily compromised with academy and father son players.
If we aren’t set on a player at 3 we should probably do the trade but as they’ll be desperate we should push for more.

The point is it just isn't Green and pick 6. GWS would like pick 3 so that they can bid on a player other than Green and then when Green is named at 4 or 5 by Adelaide or Sydney they use picks 40 ,59,60,80 and go into deficit in 2020 for him. We would be helping them get 2 picks in the top 4/5. Madness.

The point is it just isn't Green and pick 6. GWS would like pick 3 so that they can bid on a player other than Green and then when Green is named at 4 or 5 by Adelaide or Sydney they use picks 40 ,59,60,80 and go into deficit in 2020 for him. We would be helping them get 2 picks in the top 4/5. Madness.

The price for us helping to facilitate that for them should be much higher than a late first rounder next year. Handing them an extra pick in the top 4/5 is absolute roll’d gold to them. I can’t see it happening now unless they’ve got something MUCH better to give in return. As another poster has pointed out, pick 15 in 2020 will likely balloon out to pick 20. Nowhere near good enough compensation for handing them a second pick in the top 5.

Then again, we have traditionally been such powder-puffs at the trade table we will probably cave and then talk in circles about what a bargain it was. Then go on to watch Hayden Young become the next Luke Hodge.

The price for us helping to facilitate that for them should be much higher than a late first rounder next year. Handing them an extra pick in the top 4/5 is absolute roll’d gold to them. I can’t see it happening now unless they’ve got something MUCH better to give in return. As another poster has pointed out, pick 15 in 2020 will likely balloon out to pick 20. Nowhere near good enough compensation for handing them a second pick in the top 5.

Then again, we have traditionally been such powder-puffs at the trade table we will probably cave and then talk in circles about what a bargain it was. Then go on to watch Hayden Young become the next Luke Hodge.
Yes you can see it happening, Young and Green to GWS we take Kemp with one of our selections he continues to have knee problems and we trade him to Hawthorn for a pick in the 80's and he becomes a favorite son with them. haha.

Tbh we should be hoping GWS have to use pick 6 on Green because it effectively moves our pick 8 up one. Similarly hopefully someone puts in a bid on Liam Henry before Fremantle’s pick 7 and bumps up our pick 8 to basically pick 6 on the open draft. That way we’d be guaranteed to get two of the six players we rate highest (excluding Green and Henry).

ideally for us the draft goes something like

1 Rowell GC
2 Anderson GC
3 Young ME
4 Green GWS (up from 6)
5 Flanders AD
6 Henry FR (up from 7)
7 Serong SYD
8 Kemp/Jackson/Ash/etc to us

If we trade 3 for 6 and there’s no bid on Henry what it looks like is probably

1 Rowell GCS
2 Anderson GCS
3 Young GWS
4 Green GWS
5 Flanders ADEL
6 Serong SYD
7 Kemp/Ash/Jackson ME
8 Jackson/Kemp/Ash/Robertson FRE
9 Kemp/Ash ME

More variables. Arguably an equally good result if we get Jackson and Kemp (if our recruiters do rate Jackson super highly) but there’s risk there with two fewer players (or one fewer if there’s a Henry bid) left at 8 and almost definitely no Young at 6 unless.

Tbh we should be hoping GWS have to use pick 6 on Green because it effectively moves our pick 8 up one. Similarly hopefully someone puts in a bid on Liam Henry before Fremantle’s pick 7 and bumps up our pick 8 to basically pick 6 on the open draft. That way we’d be guaranteed to get two of the six players we rate highest (excluding Green and Henry).

ideally for us the draft goes something like

1 Rowell GC
2 Anderson GC
3 Young ME
4 Green GWS (up from 6)
5 Flanders AD
6 Henry FR (up from 7)
7 Serong SYD
8 Kemp/Jackson/Ash/etc to us
Good chance on Green getting a bid from Adelaide or Sydney as it was reported that apart from GWS they are the only 2 clubs to interview him apart from GWS. I would be happy with that result.

Good chance on Green getting a bid from Adelaide or Sydney as it was reported that apart from GWS they are the only 2 clubs to interview him apart from GWS. I would be happy with that result.
Only makes a difference to us if we don’t trade pick 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we trade 3 for 6 and there’s no bid on Henry what it looks like is probably

1 Rowell GCS
2 Anderson GCS
3 Young GWS
4 Green GWS
5 Flanders ADEL
6 Serong SYD
7 Kemp/Ash/Jackson ME
8 Jackson/Kemp/Ash/Robertson FRE
9 Kemp/Ash ME

More variables. Arguably an equally good result if we get Jackson and Kemp (if our recruiters do rate Jackson super highly) but there’s risk there with two fewer players (or one fewer if there’s a Henry bid) left at 8 and almost definitely no Young at 6 unless.

I’d be hell nervous about taking a ruckman in the top 10. For every Brodie Grundy there are two or three Daniel Gorringe/John Meesen type failures. For a list with a number of priorities ahead of bringing in a young ruckman (however talented), I just can’t see us going down that road.

I’d be hell nervous about taking a ruckman in the top 10. For every Brodie Grundy there are two or three Daniel Gorringe/John Meesen type failures. For a list with a number of priorities ahead of bringing in a young ruckman (however talented), I just can’t see us going down that road.
Eh. Best available is best available. No point being cowed by events of ten or so years ago. Seems like his mobility and skill level with ball in hand is up there with anyone else in the draft.

Not 2019 draft but has anyone looked at the vision of one of our NGA boys Deakyn Smith. Available for 2020 draft. Kids got wings.

I tend to agree with best available is best available, except with regards to ruckman.

There just isn't enough positional flexibility with them, especially when we already have Preuss sitting in the VFL on a decent contract getting 60 hit outs a game yet unable to make an impact in the seniors playing 2nd banana to Gawn.

Although Jackson looks really skilled and athletic, I just think it would be a terrible decision

At least with Jackson you’re getting a footballer that looks skilled and mobile at ground level. Feels like the majority of KPF to be taken top 10 in the last ten years have mostly been middling to busts but they still get taken there.

Sam Day pick 3 = bust
Patton pick 1 = great to middling without being elite IMO
Daniher = Essendon fans would have you think he’s elite, but highly contentious in my view
Boyd = bust
Hogan = overrated sook who we’re better off without
McCartin= bust
Moore = bust as the KPF he was drafted as but has come good as a KPD
Wright = middling to good
Schache = bust
Weideman = close to bust
McKay = admittedly v promising

You’d like to see a bigger sample size of highly rated junior rucks like Jackson being taken early before being scared off. Esp given the last top 3 potential ruck in Grundy is now one of the GOAT

I hope we keep pick 3 for Young if a team wants pick 8 and we move down a few spots im happy to do that still be a few players we can use at 14-15. Although i wonder if we do the trade for 3 with GWS will we be able to get a few players we want from them for cheaper in the future.

I cannot see why we would or should give GWS a free hit to pick up Green. Let them use pick 6 for him take 2 good [hopefully] players this year and we can trade Trac to the bloos next year after he doesn't break out for a 1st rounder.
Pretty sure Petracca has already had his break out this year. The day he gets traded out is the day I switch to following a different code.

I hope we keep pick 3 for Young if a team wants pick 8 and we move down a few spots im happy to do that still be a few players we can use at 14-15. Although i wonder if we do the trade for 3 with GWS will we be able to get a few players we want from them for cheaper in the future.

Not sure i would like to rely on that happening, what if they change recruiters next year? The new recruiter owes us nothing. Peronally im not happy moving back 3 spots to get back a pick 20 or higher next year, i think we are better off landing the best after Rowell and Anderson and trying to get Kemp at 8.

Gives us a kid to get ready for 2020 and Kemp who will potnetially sit all of 2020 on the sidelines ready for 2021.

I personally think Kemp is the 3 best in this draft, i know he has his injury but if he didnt hurt his knee we would be all over him at 3.

Kemp has been compared to Bontempelli in both size and style of play at the same age. I would not begrudge the club risking pick 8 on him if he’s still available. It’s not inconceivable that we even take him at 3 and then the slider of the others at 8 if we think he could be that good ... and doctors report that his ACL recovery is progressing well.

Not sure i would like to rely on that happening, what if they change recruiters next year? The new recruiter owes us nothing. Peronally im not happy moving back 3 spots to get back a pick 20 or higher next year, i think we are better off landing the best after Rowell and Anderson and trying to get Kemp at 8.

Gives us a kid to get ready for 2020 and Kemp who will potnetially sit all of 2020 on the sidelines ready for 2021.

I personally think Kemp is the 3 best in this draft, i know he has his injury but if he didnt hurt his knee we would be all over him at 3.
Yeah i agree i dont want to lose 3 now i would have for 6 next year 1st and a player but not now. With 8 though if Kemp and Ash are gone i wouldnt mind shifting back a few picks to get Gould or 1 of the small forwards mentioned i really like Sharp as well. No way would i use a top 10 pick on a small forward unless they were lightning quick and kick goals out of their ass which theres none. Maybe go back in the draft to Ports or Brisbanes first 2 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back