List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL has given Gold Coast the Golden Ticket to the Chocalate factory

Rowell
Anderson
Flanders
Sharp

With Rankine, lukious, King, and so many more...

serious F%ck.
Just to make it more irritating the over the top assistance package they were given also helped the Cats.

Trading pick 27 for 11 and 61 is nothing short of ridiculous. No need to worry about Draft picks when daddy Gil will always come running back with more if they need them.

I think it was phenomenally strategic to stockpile extra picks for next year. With all the F/S and Academy prospects next year clubs will be lining up to secure extra points and the Hawks already have them in the bank. When you look at our trades + our draft haul it was a super outcome and we are well placed to secure talent next year too. Well done to the recruiting team.

It's counter intuitive. If we wanted to make the most of the discount we would receive on the first-round rated Downie then we should have bailed out of the first round.

There are so many players that are going to be tied to clubs that the pool is extremely diluted. We only have two now that big Sal is seemingly giving up on footy. Essentially our first pick is not worth anywhere near as much as it would otherwise have been.

We should have used the future first to get back into this draft IMO, and that was apparently the plan from the club all along. But obviously something went wrong and we weren't able to, whether we overestimated our hand or had a last minute change of heart, who knows?

Last edited:
It's counter intuitive. If we wanted to make the most of the discount we would receive on the first-round rated Downie then we should have bailed out of the first round.

There are so many players that are going to be tied to clubs that the pool is extremely diluted. We only have two now they big Sal is seemingly giving up on footy. Essentially our first pick is not worth anywhere near as much as it would otherwise have been.

We should have used the future first to get back into this draft IMO, and that was apparently the plan from the club all along. But obviously something went wrong and we weren't able to, whether we overestimated our hand or had a last minute change of heart, who knows?

Mate, I agree with you 100%

The amount of people seemingly unhappy with our draft is very surprising to me. I thought our boys did a great job in the draft so far and I'm keen for what's to come today.

There are so many players that are going to be tied to clubs that the pool is extremely diluted. We only have two now they big Sal is seemingly giving up on footy. Essentially our first pick is not worth anywhere near as much as it would otherwise have been.

The thing is if no one here rates next years pick we may not have gotten decent value for it, if the Draft is being overblown next season as well me may have higher value for that pick by the time trade period comes around.

Well, I did say we should trade out first to have more picks in the 23-42 and most people disagreed. That is not even involving next year's picks. How good are Trent Bianco / Hugo Ralphsmith picks 45 & 46. They could be next Worpel who we got for similar pick. Anyway moved on already, very happy with grand father / son and father / son selections. I think the problem as you have brought up not that simple to execute during live trade, better make decision before and split if want access to more talent. Gold Coast paid a hefty price to move up one position in second round.

You'd think it would be Hartley in the PSD, then Partington/Minchington as rookie chances (though we may just keep a Cat A spot free for Minch to do a injury free pre-season and add him as a SSP in Feb), and hope that no-one bids on Pepper so he can be added as a Cat B.

Rowell
Anderson
Flanders
Sharp

serious F%ck.
Yep could be in my late 80's before I see another Hawks flag with all those bloody GWS and GCS leg ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, I agree with you 100%
Hey guys what's to say we didn't try to trade the pick, if we did were we low balled.
We don't know.
Even if next years draft has been weakened would say a pick twelve next year better than what was available twenty five on this year?

The thing is if no one here rates next years pick we may not have gotten decent value for it, if the Draft is being overblown next season as well me may have higher value for that pick by the time trade period comes around.

Yeah I agree with that, but I imagine it could have been used to get a pick in the 20's, when there were some quality players still available. I'm disappointed we couldn't get Taylor.

Unbelievable outcome.. I don’t know how much more corrupt the AFL can be?

Could you imagine what the supporters in American sports would do if say the NBA gave Phoenix the top 2 draft picks in the nba because, well... they’ve been s**t for years? Then to top it off they get another mid 1st? There would riots and protests.

Us Aussies just let these pieces of s**t dictate to us, we eat whatever s**t they force feed us. Absolutely horrific the AFL, more corrupt than FIFA.

Private ownership in the NBA. You can't diddle another owner out of their opportunity for success, it gets voted down.
If an NBA team does poorly or dies in a particular city, it can just move or sell to another rich person who has the ego to lose lots of money if need be to sit sidelines and....well, own.

In the AFL, if clubs were simply allowed to survive or not on their own devices 3 or 4 would be out of business in just a couple years with no real pathway to bring new ones in to the fold. The start up costs are just astronomical.
Then throw in the fact the entire game is subsidized by media rights and their need to sell advertising nationally, based on a certain number of games airing over the year in the various markets across the country, and the current system makes eminent sense.

You may hate the player, but you'd have to hate the game not to want it to be manipulated so that it survives.

Last edited:

Rowell
Anderson
Flanders
Sharp

serious F%ck.
Yep if they don’t get up for premiership contention after this , the club the board the AFL should do the honourable thing eat humble pie , close the doors and relocate to Tassie . It’s ridiculous the amount of concessions they and GWS have had over the last few years .Thats why the Melbourne clubs are so ruthless and unforgiving in raiding their talent pool all the time it’s just restoring a bit of equality.

Was too busy to comment online last night.....WHAT THE *?! We position ourselves to be able to pick up three players in the top 30 and we couldn't get it done, this draft was an absolute disaster there is no way we can look back and believe we achieved anything other than picking Maginness up....Poor form Hawthorn, poor form.

Was too busy to comment online last night.....WHAT THE fu**?! We position ourselves to be able to pick up three players in the top 30 and we couldn't get it done, this draft was an absolute disaster there is no way we can look back and believe we achieved anything other than picking Maginness up....Poor form Hawthorn, poor form.
Hahahahahahaha

Jeka similar player to Hartley but he’s only 18 .197cms. We’ve probably had our eye in him all along I would say Hartley was the decoy get everyone watching the right hand while the left hand does something else .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back