2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheppard has been very good. Has been at a consistently high level for about 5 years. Hasn't made a 40 man squad in that time so I don't think he will suddenly catapult into the team based on another very good year.

Is getting career highs for marks and disposals but that's more a function of how we are playing out of the defensive 50. Has more marks than Darling and Kennedy combined which is not how we played last year.

Stats are funny. Shannon Hurn is averaging 26 disposals a game but only 19 possessions. Last year that was 21 & 18. But people will overlook the kick in rule change and go 'ZOMG 26 touches a game'.
Kick ins only count as a disposal if a player kicks to themselves first.

No - because that would leave Gaff still in the side

Kelly to go into the best 18 - but Gaff wouldn't be a look in for the top 40
I meant WCE swap Gaff for Kelly....but sounds like you think Cats would need more

Nope I meant for season 2019

Gaff’s delivered 3 AA seasons - had a similar quality year last year

I wouldn’t trade Gaff for Kelly
That's an interesting view given there is no rewind option on careers, Gaff is 28 next year and probably has played his best football while Kelly will only be 25 and still in his peak.

I think it's the Cats who shouldn't make that trade ignoring the home state factors.

That's an interesting view given there is no rewind option on careers, Gaff is 28 next year and probably has played his best football while Kelly will only be 25 and still in his peak.

I think it's the Cats who shouldn't make that trade ignoring the home state factors.

Indeed - but I like my stars to have played more than half a season of AA football

Otherwise you’d compare jack darling to Wayne Carey after his start to last year

Or des headland to James hird

Or Adrian macadam to daicos

Or any other of a vast array of blokes who had a purple paych

Indeed - but I like my stars to have played more than half a season of AA football

Otherwise you’d compare jack darling to Wayne Carey after his start to last year

Fair enough. Will your view change if Kelly wins the Brownlow and/or MVP, remembering he was runner up in the Cats' B&F in 2018?

Nope I meant for season 2019

Gaff’s delivered 3 AA seasons - had a similar quality year last year

I wouldn’t trade Gaff for Kelly

Kelly is clearly worth more than Gaff currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But like I said there is no rewind option. Gaff's best football at the level is very likely to have been played already, while Kelly has just hit that period. I think you're underselling his last 30 games. He's this year become one of the premier mids in the game.

Due to supporter bias, I don't expect you to take Kelly over Gaff or vice versa Cats fans, but to most neutral observers Kelly would be the better buy for the remainder of their careers and worth more in a trade.

But like I said there is no rewind option. Gaff's best football at the level is very likely to have been played already, while Kelly has just hit that period. I think you're underselling his last 30 games. He's this year become one of the premier mids in the game.

Due to supporter bias, I don't expect you to take Kelly over Gaff or vice versa Cats fans, but to most neutral observers Kelly would be the better buy for the remainder of their careers and worth more in a trade.

I don’t have supporter bias - I’m pretty objective about football

It’s why I was refuting a previous poster putting Gaff in the AA side - that’s how this conversation started

I agree gaffs played his best football - but that doesn’t mean he’s on the decline - he’s reached his level - which is a dominant AA ourside mid level

He’s got at least a few years to keep delivering that

Kelly’s had an outstanding 12 weeks and a solid but not special season beforehand

Last year was a good debut - but a mile from AA - that’s revisionist

I don’t have supporter bias - I’m pretty objective about football

It’s why I was refuting a previous poster putting Gaff in the AA side - that’s how this conversation started

I agree gaffs played his best football - but that doesn’t mean he’s on the decline - he’s reached his level - which is a dominant AA ourside mid level

He’s got at least a few years to keep delivering that

Kelly’s had an outstanding 12 weeks and a solid but not special season beforehand

Last year was a good debut - but a mile from AA - that’s revisionist
Fair point just a difference of opinion then. Gaff's a very fine player, I just would take Kelly moving forward given age and my predicted form profiles.

Interesting hearing this interview with one of Champion Data's top stats people.

He called Shannon Hurn a freak and easily the best kick in the competition. Said he kicks at a rating of 3.5 standard deviations above the expected (which is insane).

It's not dinky short kicks or safe kick ins either.

Interesting hearing this interview with one of Champion Data's top stats people.

He called Shannon Hurn a freak and easily the best kick in the competition. Said he kicks at a rating of 3.5 standard deviations above the expected (which is insane).

It's not dinky short kicks or safe kick ins either.

I'd be really interested to see his results for 2016/17 - when i think he was middling with his kicking for some reason.

however he got his kicking mojo back last year - just so bloody reliable.

B: Dane Rampe - Mark Blicavs - Shannon Hurn (C)
HB: Daniel Rich - Harris Andrews - Tom Stewart
C: Ricky Henderson - Tim Kelly - Josh Kelly
HF: Michael Walters - Jeremy Cameron - Patrick Dangerfield
F: Gary Ablett Jr - Tom Hawkins - Jordan De Goey
R: Brodie Grundy - Nathan Fyfe - Patrick Cripps (VC)
I: Max Gawn - Lachie Neale - Travis Boak - Ben Cunnington
Very nice selections.

Most people have picked Stephen Coniglio in their teams, but what about Josh Kelly and Tim Taranto ?

Kelly missed 3 games, but has been in sensational form. He is one of the best mids in the AFL

Taranto has stepped up in the absence of Callan Ward. He is a 2-way, midfield bull who wins clearances, tackles, defends, gets forward and kicks goals
He has 323 pressure acts which is 105 more than Matt de Boer in 2nd place for GWS (and twice as many as Coniglio)
Only Dayne Zorko and Darcy MacPherson have more pressure acts in the AFL this year

Tim Taranto
Rd 01 v Ess - 112 SC, 30 poss, 10 tackles, 2 goals, 8 votes
Rd 02 v WCE - 78 SC , 20 poss, 5 tackles,
Rd 03 v Rich - 112 SC, 30 poss, 6 tackles, 2 goals, 2 votes
Rd 04 v Geel - 113 SC, 28 poss, 9 tackles, ...........2 votes
Rd 05 v Freo - 67 SC , 22 poss, 6 tackles,
Rd 06 v Syd - 136 SC, 30 poss, 10 tackles, 1 goal, 9 votes
Rd 07 v St K - 96 SC , 28 poss, 3 tackles, 1 goal, ..2 votes
Rd 08 v Haw - 104 SC, 24 poss, 4 tackles,
Rd 09 v Carl - 144 SC, 38 poss, 4 tackles, 1 goal, 7 votes
Rd 10 v Melb - 132 SC, 32 poss, 8 tackles, ......... 4 votes
Rd 11 v Gold - 71 SC , 24 poss, 4 tackles,
Rd 12 v Adel - 131 SC, 36 poss, 7 tackles, 1 goal, 8 votes
Rd 13 v NM - 105 SC, 30 poss, 10 tackles, 1 goal, 2 votes

Most people have picked Stephen Coniglio in their teams, but what about Josh Kelly and Tim Taranto ?

Kelly missed 3 games, but has been in sensational form. He is one of the best mids in the AFL

Taranto has stepped up in the absence of Callan Ward. He is a 2-way, midfield bull who wins clearances, tackles, defends, gets forward and kicks goals
He has 323 pressure acts which is 105 more than Matt de Boer in 2nd place for GWS (and twice as many as Coniglio)
Only Dayne Zorko and Darcy MacPherson have more pressure acts in the AFL this year

Tim Taranto
Rd 01 v Ess - 112 SC, 30 poss, 10 tackles, 2 goals, 8 votes
Rd 02 v WCE - 78 SC , 20 poss, 5 tackles,
Rd 03 v Rich - 112 SC, 30 poss, 6 tackles, 2 goals, 2 votes
Rd 04 v Geel - 113 SC, 28 poss, 9 tackles, ...........2 votes
Rd 05 v Freo - 67 SC , 22 poss, 6 tackles,
Rd 06 v Syd - 136 SC, 30 poss, 10 tackles, 1 goal, 9 votes
Rd 07 v St K - 96 SC , 28 poss, 3 tackles, 1 goal, ..2 votes
Rd 08 v Haw - 104 SC, 24 poss, 4 tackles,
Rd 09 v Carl - 144 SC, 38 poss, 4 tackles, 1 goal, 7 votes
Rd 10 v Melb - 132 SC, 32 poss, 8 tackles, ......... 4 votes
Rd 11 v Gold - 71 SC , 24 poss, 4 tackles,
Rd 12 v Adel - 131 SC, 36 poss, 7 tackles, 1 goal, 8 votes
Rd 13 v NM - 105 SC, 30 poss, 10 tackles, 1 goal, 2 votes
Kelly's kicking has been an issue, much like Gaff's earlier in the year.

Taranto I rate though.

I know hes been mentioned a few times but it stresses me out that Luke Ryan could be flying under the radar, he is that *ing good!
The way he stepped up to lead the backline in Pearce absence was incredible.
Hes obviously a great intercept mark, but his pressure acts and tackling are right up there for his position too.
the way he positions himself, how efficient he is and how good the decisions he makes are is mind blowing!!!
he is so reliable that he's pretty much as much of a game winner as Walters, he just has to be there :clapping:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back