Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put GWS aside, Bulldogs are everything we want St kilda to be. So many young players taking the next step up and cementing themselves as A graders.
They draft ridiculously well. Most important thing in a rebuild and they nail it pretty much every time.

The criticism seems to be more evenly spread to the team & coach. Compare Pyke & RTB who have had their teams competing for finals yet have copped far more criticism than Goodwin. Goody has had it very easy however next year if his team doesn’t improve he will cop it.
I think it's because people view Melbourne as inherently broken.

Most thought they turned the corner last year. The other thought is they are so irrelevant that know one cares. But we are similar in support & exposure & Richo copped far more heat than Goodwin.
Tbh I'm not sure what the long term plan is for Melbourne.

Compare Pyke & RTB who have had their teams competing for finals yet have copped far more criticism than Goodwin. Goody has had it very easy however next year if his team doesn’t improve he will cop it.
Maybe Melbourne should think outside the square and appoint someone suited to bringing out the best in the unique strengths of their players, whilst simultaneously appealing to their supporters inner passion 🤔

2ptncwx.jpg

I can’t watch Worpel. It just hurts too much.

I hate watching him too. I spotted him and Blake Hardwick as super cheapies. Both come off, we would have had them playing at Sandy until they were de-listed.

Most thought they turned the corner last year. The other thought is they are so irrelevant that know one cares. But we are similar in support & exposure & Richo copped far more heat than Goodwin.
I think Goodwin's 2019 has been a lot like Richo's 2017-8, he'll be the most targeted next year if he survives the off season.

Gees the Giants play bruise free football. With the amount of talent they have had over the years they should have at least one flag. TBH I blame Cameron the Giants play that lairy loose football he used to play. Its time he stepped aside and gave someone else a go.
The only thing that saves Leon Cameron from the dole is the small amount of GWS fans. Less supporter pressure for kneejerk change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing that saves Leon Cameron from the dole is the small amount of GWS fans. Less supporter pressure for kneejerk change.
Not so.

The GWS fan has discussed the issue with himself, and has come to agreement with himself, and the pressure is now well and truly on!

ab6xrr.jpg

We are the easier target, always have been likely always will be. Except of course if licenses get revoked again in which case we'll show up in droves to support because reasons.

But we don't pack the same punch as the Dee's off-field, never have. Same reason why sides like Geelong and the Pies can do what they like and not get much comeuppance, because they have pull outside, so you go hard at the easy targets and wet lettuce the rest.

But consider;
Carlton tried to buy a win.
Essendon tried to inject a win.
Melbourne failed on purpose to win.

Don't care what they do, don't care what they win, don't care what they lose. Clubs bereft of soul.

We are the easier target, always have been likely always will be. Except of course if licenses get revoked again in which case we'll show up in droves to support because reasons.

But we don't pack the same punch as the Dee's off-field, never have. Same reason why sides like Geelong and the Pies can do what they like and not get much comeuppance, because they have pull outside, so you go hard at the easy targets and wet lettuce the rest.

But consider;
Carlton tried to buy a win.
Essendon tried to inject a win.
Melbourne failed on purpose to win.

Don't care what they do, don't care what they win, don't care what they lose. Clubs bereft of soul.

Essendon tried to buy a win too.

• In 1996, Essendon were fined a record $638,250 ($250,000 in back tax and penalties, $112,000 for draft tampering and $276,250 for breaching the salary cap regulations), forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft and were excluded from the 1997 rookie and pre-season drafts after a joint Australian Tax Office and AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $514,500 between 1991 and 1996, including $110,000 in 1993 when Essendon won the premiership.[12]

• In 1999, Melbourne were fined $600,000 and forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft for two years after it was found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $810,000 between 1995 and 1998. Fremantle were handed Melbourne's first round pick for the 1999 National Draft as compensation for losing ruckman Jeff White to Melbourne.
Carlton were just stupid enough to keep doing it when it was obvious the AFL were cracking down on it. That was the last time a team was seriously found salary cap cheating until the Kurt Tippett debacle.

Interestingly the Saints were fined $40 000, when sponsor X-Box provided games to the players ( something that couldn't have amounted to more than around $16 000, i wonder how much low mileage demonstrator Lexus' were selling for ). A few years later Richmond were only fined $10 000 for exceeding the cap by $13 000.

Tbh I'm not sure what the long term plan is for Melbourne.
Hmmm winning games and a flag im guessing , What do you mean long term plan ? Dont worry if they start winning again their mob will jump back on board pretty quick . There is no way the AFL would ever ship them off interstate

We just have a history of sloppy recruiting- we get a few good players with good potential, who don't seem to get fully developed, lots of ordinary gap-fillers who can never be developed, and some who never go anywhere. Like good business, the Saints need to plan much better, and get the right people on board to plan and implement- and have full support of the board. Maybe we have the right mix off-field now, but once a coach is appointed, the hard work of building a finals-worthy list begins, and it needs to be fast-tracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back