Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simpson was the one constant i defense last year and things didn't look very organised. But i agree it shouldn't be all on one player to get the defense organised, if it is then the coaching is incompetent.

My concern is kicking out of defense which is very difficult these days. when i look at that back 6 without docherty the only way we get the ball out of defense is by going wide and getting the ball out for a throw in and reset, or by conceding a goal. goddard's footskills are still exceptional and with him we'll still be able to play with a structured build up from defense the way we did in 2016 and 2017 with docherty rather than holding on for dear life like we did 2018 without him.

Younger side, huge injury list and no midfield. Not the same issues in 2019 (hopefully). I'm not concerned at all. Actually looking forward to seeing how we set up. So many options

End result is we aren't picking Goddard anyway which IMO is the right one

Last edited:
Simpson was the one constant i defense last year and things didn't look very organised. But i agree it shouldn't be all on one player to get the defense organised, if it is then the coaching is incompetent.

My concern is kicking out of defense which is very difficult these days. when i look at that back 6 without docherty the only way we get the ball out of defense is by going wide and getting the ball out for a throw in and reset, or by conceding a goal. goddard's footskills are still exceptional and with him we'll still be able to play with a structured build up from defense the way we did in 2016 and 2017 with docherty rather than holding on for dear life like we did 2018 without him.

Let's wait and see what kind of difference the new kick in rules have before we jump to conclusions based on what happened last year

Let's wait and see what kind of difference the new kick in rules have before we jump to conclusions based on what happened last year

Having most or all of Cripps Kennedy SPS Dow Setterfield Walsh Stocker Fisher Curnow Murphy Lang O'Brien all fit and up and running will make a massive difference to our defence

SOS at his best would have struggled with what we had last season

if Walsh is as clever a footballer as suggested - don't be surprised to see him played off a HBF - he is small enough to tick the small defender box for those who really take lack of height too seriously. It really is up to the players on the list to lift and for the coaching panel to put together a game plan that suits the players we have - and we have plenty.

if Walsh is as clever a footballer as suggested - don't be surprised to see him played off a HBF - he is small enough to tick the small defender box for those who really take lack of height too seriously. It really is up to the players on the list to lift and for the coaching panel to put together a game plan that suits the players we have - and we have plenty.

It’s not a bad option but I reckon we have lots of other options and Walsh is just so mature and ready he will straight into the middle.

Pardon the intrusion but with Doc now out is there a way you could get Michael Gibbons onto your list?

There is given we've got 2 list spots open, but seems the club will look again to youth with those spots, rather than taking a mature aged player like Gibbons.

Any names that stand out that missed out on draft day's?

I think we will consider Mason Blakey with one spot. I'd like Grigg but won't happen

Arr0w and a few others would be in a better position to answer that.

Think we could do with a bit more zip forward of centre, so I'd be considering Hanrahan and Sampson, but I don't see much of the prospects outside the short highlights packages.

Any names that stand out that missed out on draft day's?

I think we will consider Mason Blakey with one spot. I'd like Grigg but won't happen

Blakey would make sense.

Plays the Doc role if we need it.
Only 20 years old, so young enough that he should still have a lot of scope for development,
Highly rated at the NB's by all reports.
Leadership material.

Could be our Bailey Fritsch for 2019.

Having most or all of Cripps Kennedy SPS Dow Setterfield Walsh Stocker Fisher Curnow Murphy Lang O'Brien all fit and up and running will make a massive difference to our defence

SOS at his best would have struggled with what we had last season
What's SOs got to do with it. Isnt it Brad Lloyd and Bolton who need to make the best of it with these players?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakey would make sense.

Plays the Doc role if we need it.
Only 20 years old, so young enough that he should still have a lot of scope for development,
Highly rated at the NB's by all reports.
Leadership material.

Could be our Bailey Fritsch for 2019.
Would be rapt if we took on Blakey and Grigg, one as a back up defender, the other a mature big bull mid to give Crippa a chop out.

There's been a fair bit of chat about who we could take on this thread though.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2018-19-dfa-ssp-period-ssp-now-open.1207578/

Arr0w and a few others would be in a better position to answer that.

Think we could do with a bit more zip forward of centre, so I'd be considering Hanrahan and Sampson, but I don't see much of the prospects outside the short highlights packages.

I do agree, that the preference should be some toe and continuing to draft good users of the ball. I like to look of Hanrahan, Moore, Richards. Would also be happy to add the likes of a Fisher

There is given we've got 2 list spots open, but seems the club will look again to youth with those spots, rather than taking a mature aged player like Gibbons.
He is only 22 so although he is classed as a mature ager, he really isn't that old. Im just shocked that he hasn't been picked up and really think he could make an impact at a club like yours

The Bombers claim they let McGrath in he backline for experience . Frankly I reckon coz he's not that good.

However, I'm not worried if Walsh gets a run there through necessity as long as it's short term.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he moves between wing and both flanks, kind of similar to O’Brien this year.

Expecting Lochie to play a higher percentage of pure wing this year, and Walsh to follow suit in 2020. Then there’s our wingers for the next decade, providing the outside(ish) run for Cripps, Kennedy, Dow, Stocker, Setterfield, Samo & Fish (plus hopefully most DC, Pickett, Lang, Garlett, Polson, etc come on and step up).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back