NCAA 2019 - NCAA - Week 15 (Championship Weekend)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dirty Bird how would you feel about the Las Vegas bowl against Washington in Petersons final game?
Undecided
Although I admit itd be a very competitive matchup as Washington is better than their record indicates.
That makes it lose/lose

Boise wins = You should've beaten a 7-5 team
Boise loses = Boise sucks

Throw in the constant matchups with Washington in recent times (3 in 4 years or something around 2013-16 or something) and I don't want it.
Im hopeful a major conference cant fill their spots and we get an invite elsewhere like we got to Dallas last year vs Boston College and then to the Cactus Bowl 2 years before that vs Baylor.
I think I heard rumours of Air Force to the Cheez-it Bowl. I wouldn't mind going there tbh.

Though, if the CFP actually focused on the onfield product we should be going to Dallas to play Florida/Penn State

I had this feeling Wisconsin was going to pull something out of their arse.

Media going on and on about Utah win and they're in
Utah lose and Oklahoma/Baylor winners in

I just had this feeling Wisconsin would pull off the upset and we got
1. LSU
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Wisconsin

Most Boise fans are pissed at MWC Commissioner Hair Thompson

How its bull**** the difference is the Cotton Bowl vs a 10 win top 10 team compared to the Las Vegas Bowl (WHICH WE LOSE NEXT YEAR AS IT BECOMES Pac-12 vs BigTen) vs a team barely .500

We need better bowls. (And no, replacing the Vegas Bowl with a new LA bowl doesn't count)

But I have seen others 'why give the Cotton Bowl to a team losing their head coach' Logical. Ive seen how teams play without their coach. Boise got smashed in Hawaii vs Oregon State a few years back. Do the CFP do that and put Memphis in the Cotton Bowl with it near certain their coach is going to Florida State?

Afterall, their own coach is implying Florida State is better than Memphis. And we already know Boise State is better than Florida State ;)

Nothing official, but Im seeing LOTS of articles about Norvell to Florida State all but confirmed.
If that goes through today :eek:

Anyone watch the the playoff selection show the past few years?
I watched in 2014 and the announcement was for the top 6 only.
Will we get the full rankings in the show in the morning, or will I need to wait longer?

Nothing official, but Im seeing LOTS of articles about Norvell to Florida State all but confirmed.
If that goes through today :eek:

Anyone watch the the playoff selection show the past few years?
I watched in 2014 and the announcement was for the top 6 only.
Will we get the full rankings in the show in the morning, or will I need to wait longer?
Playoff teams announced at 4:15AM. New years 6 bowls at about 7AM.

lastyear was still just the top 6. but dont think they officially announced the locations of the semis till they announced the rest of the NY6 bowls.

I would guess its going to be LSU/Oklahoma in the Peach bowl at 8AM and OSU/Clemson in the Fiesta at noon.

Tepper can prove his worth to me by buying out Lincoln Riley. I love what he does on offense. Genius. Happy to see Oklahoma in the top 4.

I'm so pissed at our performance but I'll be over the moon if it finally forces Kirby into changing the offence and pissing off James Coley.

Injuries are a campaigner and as soon as we lost Blaylock and then Fromm went down, I knew we were screwed. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the program majorly ****ed up by letting Justin Fields leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone still convinced 8 is still the magic number for playoffs?
Needs to be more

Greater access = more parity in recruiting = gap closed = more realistic options to win

Anyone still convinced 8 is still the magic number for playoffs?

I'm sold on 6. Conference champs and best at large. 1&2 get a bye first week, 3v6 and 4v5 held at higher ranking teams home - played this week. Losers end up in NY 6 bowls (a spot held for them).

This year would see:
LSU play winner of Oklahoma/Georgia and Ohio v Clemson/Oregon

I'm sold on 6. Conference champs and best at large. 1&2 get a bye first week, 3v6 and 4v5 held at higher ranking teams home - played this week. Losers end up in NY 6 bowls (a spot held for them).

This year would see:
LSU play winner of Oklahoma/Georgia and Ohio v Clemson/Oregon
Not a bad suggestion.

However this makes the lost to A.State and Auburn redundant.
- You can lose four games but provided you are conference champions, you are in.
- Imagine OSU and Clemson both laying an egg on the weekend and at least one (if not both) are out.

Needs to be more

Greater access = more parity in recruiting = gap closed = more realistic options to win
Again the Playoff isn’t a participation tornament, just an avenue to truly determine who the number one team is.
- There is no point of a regular season if teams like Bama and Michigan make it this year.

You can close the gap in recruiting by many other forms of avenues that have nothing to do with the playoffs.
- Each class capped at maximum 30 scholarships
- No private planes
- contact hours must be before 9pm, etc
(All the above are just not too serious examples).

But why is being exclusive to the best of the best desired?
The more you expand it, the greater the storylines.

Imagine the FIFA World Cup last year.
It takes 32 teams, if one was as exclusive as the CFP youd only have 6 teams in the Finals.
And with how its done taking the highest ranks the 2018 world cup would've been
First round bye: Germany, Brazil
Quarter finals: Portugal vs Poland, Argentina vs Belgium with the first 2 out being France and Spain

Sounds pretty s**t doesn't it. Good teams (like France, Spain and England) miss out
We lose storylines of teams going on amazing runs (Like Croatia or South Korea in 2002)

What makes March Madness fun?
Upsets.
We lose the run by Florida Gulf State in 2013, George Mason in 2006, Or Maryland-Baltimore County taking down Virginia in 2018.

Also, how the hell can anyone say outright who the top 4 are. The amount of huge OOC games in one season can be counted on 1 hand. Schools have figured out that all they need to do is avoid slipping up. No one is scheduling OOC games worth a damn anymore, the risk outweighs the reward. So the regular season is now worse as they're effectively walkovers. Then when we get to the postseason, we don't care for the bowls anymore. I remember 10 years ago sitting down to watching the Cotton Bowl (one Ole Miss played in) was an event showcasing the best of the best. Now with the playoff, it feels theyre more exhibition games. Feels like a Harlem Globetrotters vs Washington Generals game.

Open it up, give teams a chance. Regular season becomes more enthralling. Just take the ACC into account this year. People only cared about 1 game a week. Clemson vs whoever. It was all that mattered. Change it to conference champion. People have a lot more interest in the Coastal division. Championship game has more interest. Why would a Virginia fan care under the current model. Probably going to be smashed and we're Orange Bowl bound no matter what. Expand the playoff to all champions and the fans get excited. better atmosphere, higher ratings and probably a better game because the players actually have something to play for.

Imagine how many more people would've attended the Pac-12 championship if Oregon could've made the playoff, how much better the atmosphere would've been.

Also, why does every single championship in college sports, whether its Division 1, Division 2, Division 3 or the bloody NAIA have playoffs? Obviously somebody likes it.

But why is being exclusive to the best of the best desired?
The more you expand it, the greater the storylines.

Imagine the FIFA World Cup last year.
It takes 32 teams, if one was as exclusive as the CFP youd only have 6 teams in the Finals.
And with how its done taking the highest ranks the 2018 world cup would've been
First round bye: Germany, Brazil
Quarter finals: Portugal vs Poland, Argentina vs Belgium with the first 2 out being France and Spain

Sounds pretty s**t doesn't it. Good teams (like France, Spain and England) miss out
We lose storylines of teams going on amazing runs (Like Croatia or South Korea in 2002)
It's because people want to see the best of the best. I'll put it this way, the weekend just gone, do you want to watch the ACC championship game between Clemson vs a bunch of fairies or the SEC game between 2 v 4?

Using your WC for example, France and Spain being out is because we already know they are not good enough for the WC final. You might as well rename them Alabama and Florida. They had their chance, they blew it (twice) - NEXT.

What makes March Madness fun?
Upsets.
We lose the run by Florida Gulf State in 2013, George Mason in 2006, Or Maryland-Baltimore County taking down Virginia in 2018.
Some (many?) may argue March Madness doesn't even crown the best team. It's just the team with the best run at the right time.

Also, how the hell can anyone say outright who the top 4 are. The amount of huge OOC games in one season can be counted on 1 hand. Schools have figured out that all they need to do is avoid slipping up. No one is scheduling OOC games worth a damn anymore, the risk outweighs the reward. So the regular season is now worse as they're effectively walkovers. Then when we get to the postseason, we don't care for the bowls anymore. I remember 10 years ago sitting down to watching the Cotton Bowl (one Ole Miss played in) was an event showcasing the best of the best. Now with the playoff, it feels theyre more exhibition games. Feels like a Harlem Globetrotters vs Washington Generals game.
You're raising a lot of points here and I'm not sure how they all tie in together.

Teams do schedule OOC games, what they don't do anymore is schedule home-home ones. In terms of importance - do disagree somewhat. Auburn were in with a shot for a lot of the year based on their win over Oregon. Michigan turned worldbeaters overnight for smacking ND.

The regular season I don't think is worse. Just the sheer dominance of the top 3 this year made it look a lot more lopsided than it was.

As for the Cotton Bowl - can you imagine how insignificant it would be if their was a Top 16 playoff?

Open it up, give teams a chance. Regular season becomes more enthralling. Just take the ACC into account this year. People only cared about 1 game a week. Clemson vs whoever. It was all that mattered. Change it to conference champion. People have a lot more interest in the Coastal division. Championship game has more interest. Why would a Virginia fan care under the current model. Probably going to be smashed and we're Orange Bowl bound no matter what. Expand the playoff to all champions and the fans get excited. better atmosphere, higher ratings and probably a better game because the players actually have something to play for.

Imagine how many more people would've attended the Pac-12 championship if Oregon could've made the playoff, how much better the atmosphere would've been.

Also, why does every single championship in college sports, whether its Division 1, Division 2, Division 3 or the bloody NAIA have playoffs? Obviously somebody likes it.
People don't care about say the Coastal division or Virginia to be more specific is because they are average. Sorry to cut it straight but they have no right being on the biggest stage against the big boys who proved they belong.

There's no atmosphere whatsoever in seeing number 1 ranked Alabama smacking a 4th ranked Michigan state or Clemson taking the piss against ND. We also just had a 2 v 15 game two weeks ago in OSU/ Michigan and that was ugly.

If I was in charge:
- Get rid of divisions (I want to see 1 v 2 playoff in championship weekend, not 12-0 east champ vs 7-5 west chump for example)
- Group of 5 championship playoff game between the best of the two group of 5 schools after championship weekend
- No scheduling of FCS opponents
- Standardise amount of conference games between the Power 5 conferences (say 9).
- Must play at least one Power 5 OOC game each year.
- Reduce amount of bowls
- Replace Rutgers with anybody in the B10.

Well I had more fun watching the AAC title game than the SEC.

Playoffs need to be expanded. 6 sounds good but will still leave teams out and still make people mad. It would need to be like 16 or something. And the arms race in FBS is too slanted to the top power 5 teams. The rest and the G5 teams never have a chance to compete against teams with 3 classes of 5* players on scholarship.

Nothing will change till the next round of major conference realignment.

Pac-12 missing out on texas and Oklahoma last time because of the Longhorn network has hurt then and what's left of the big12.

Well I had more fun watching the AAC title game than the SEC.

Playoffs need to be expanded. 6 sounds good but will still leave teams out and still make people mad. It would need to be like 16 or something. And the arms race in FBS is too slanted to the top power 5 teams. The rest and the G5 teams never have a chance to compete against teams with 3 classes of 5* players on scholarship.
Fair points.

However people just need to shift the mindset from: do you deserve to be classified as the 4th (or 6th) best team to ‘do you deserve a shot at being national champions’
If you use this year for example, the playoffs should be a Final 3.

The arms race has always been slanted to the big powers and hence why you have the ‘bluebloods’
I do agree with you in that it seems
OSU, Oklahoma, Clemson and Bama have clearly set a seperate tier in there sheer dominance of their conference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back