News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

No, currently the AFL hold the license. I believe it’s 2028 or something that it transfers genuinely to the club, at which point I believe members should receive full voting rights to appoint the board etc like occurs at Melbourne based clubs.

I thought the AFL originally but Google said it was the Crows. Who really knows in todays' crazy world.

Where did I say they should be targeting more of Greenwood or Ellis?

I specifically said they should be targeting genuine A-Graders in their prime with the extra money and a couple of older players who can help set up culture.

The Gold Coast need to be bringing good people in, not 18 year olds.

BTW anyone who thinks we should be throwing in the towel on the Gold Coast is a short sighted fool who has NFI why we went there in the first place and fails to recognise the success that is actually occurring in qld at the grass roots level.

My Greenwood/Ellis comment wasn’t the point at all. But in terms of throwing in the towel on GC I don’t think you give enough credit to a lot of people that understand the argument for the GC and why the AFL went there for the benefit of all of us. I think I understand the argument pretty well. It is about grass roots footy and the biggest untapped market being Queensland outside of Brisbane. I get it. I even support the initial decision. But I am saying that it hasn’t worked. What they are doing now is just doubling down on what hasnt worked up until now. Hence I am saying throw in the towel. Because if their plan is just to keep on keeping on, then I don’t see any success coming.

The GC isn’t the only grass roots market in Queensland by the way. And I am not convinced that the group think on the way to capitalise on that grass roots market, which is widely dispersed around the entire state by the way, is best served by locating it on the Gold Coast. Something about that place just hasn’t seemed to work for any franchise.

Where did I say they should be targeting more of Greenwood or Ellis?

I specifically said they should be targeting genuine A-Graders in their prime with the extra money and a couple of older players who can help set up culture.

The Gold Coast need to be bringing good people in, not 18 year olds.

BTW anyone who thinks we should be throwing in the towel on the Gold Coast is a short sighted fool who has NFI why we went there in the first place and fails to recognise the success that is actually occurring in qld at the grass roots level.
Personally, I think that AFL should have thrown big money at Balme to go up to the GC and start building the culture that is needed up there. Someone else said that the players at times look disinterested and are just playing for their cheque. If thats the case then young impressionable recruits isn't going to make the necessary changes. They need a football manger who can instill the disciplines and create a culture. A bit like Walshy. I loved it when he said he was going to have "man talks" with the players.

yeah I don’t think I’m alone in mistakenly believing that we own our license. I’ve been thinking the exact same thing Ozzie.

If what James is saying is true then it explains completely our lack of response to getting shafted with the GC picks. Fagan seems like an absolute pro and if your a CEO of an organisation I’d imagine you need to know who your masters are. That’s depressing.
There's a thread here somewhere about it. We own the license on the contingency that the AFL ratifies and has full veto rights over our Board members. It also has a non sitting vote. Runs out in 2028 I think like James said.

There's a thread here somewhere about it. We own the license on the contingency that the AFL ratifies and has full veto rights over our Board members. It also has a non sitting vote. Runs out in 2028 I think like James said.

So goes a long way to explaining how we just ate on the Gold Coast draft picks. Absolutely got shafted and didn’t say a peep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in 2025 they will extend it for another 40 years like they did with the AFL grandfinal at MCG extension. 🤬

Spoke with a unnamed person last night who worked under walsh. Believed if he was still around we wouldve won 2 flags by now and be a powerhouse. Said he changed all the culture, training habits and communication aspects involved with the club. Basically said pyke just had to press play and tinker with minor things. The ground work had been done.
Also had some dealings with burton who he described as arrogant, incompetent and completely divisive.

Spoke with a unnamed person last night who worked under walsh. Believed if he was still around we wouldve won 2 flags by now and be a powerhouse. Said he changed all the culture, training habits and communication aspects involved with the club. Basically said pyke just had to press play and tinker with minor things. The ground work had been done.
Also had some dealings with burton who he described as arrogant, incompetent and completely divisive.
Pyke did get us to a GF, which then comes down to one day, so we can give that to Walshy

I thought Walsh was incredible, but we have to be careful how much we mythologise someone who coached us for a dozen or so games.

Last edited:
I though Walsh was incredible, but we have to be careful how much we mythologise someone who coached us for a dozen or so games.

Agree with this. We were a lucky last quarter against a shite Brisbane side from toppling out of the eight before Walsh passed. Not saying he wouldn't have got us there in the end but I remember us looking like we were losing our way a bit mid season.

Still, if he was around and Burton was brought in, I reckon Walshy would have made him the tackling bag

Agree with this. We were a lucky last quarter against a shite Brisbane side from toppling out of the eight before Walsh passed. Not saying he wouldn't have got us there in the end but I remember us looking like we were losing our way a bit mid season.

Still, if he was around and Burton was brought in, I reckon Walshy would have made him the tackling bag

he was pretty angry in the after match presser. Was going to look to the 2s to improve the side. I think he’d had enough of our culture of backing in the mediocre experience.

he was pretty angry in the after match presser. Was going to look to the 2s to improve the side. I think he’d had enough of our culture of backing in the mediocre experience.

yeah, not doubting that at all and he might have. Those last few weeks we had lost our way and that was one of those famous wallpaper over the cracks games that we do every now and then just to keep the status quo.

He was an inspired choice as coach, even if he failed ultimately I would have backed Roo 100% on what his appt meant.

Which makes Roos "lets give a job to beak face" all the more baffling

Walsh had an immediate impact. The Crows were a fierce contested ball and tackling unit as soon as he took over - turning a weakness into a strength straight away. It also timed with a period when Dangerfield/Walker/Sloane and others were coming in to their prime. There wasn't a lot of method in the ball movement until Pyke came along - not to say that wouldn't have happened if Walsh had more time.

I thought after seeing the game vs St Kilda about half way through 2016 we were as much chance as anyone to win the premiership that year. Everything was firing on all cylinders until late in the season there were a few injuries to Jacobs, Jenkins and Brown. We were reluctant to replace any of them (I think ROB played one game) and they were all poor playing with injuries in our loss to West Coast in the last minor round game - which cost us a top 2 spot. Then 2017 was perfect, albeit with more injuries, until GF day.

Pyke did a very good job with a very good squad. Could've easily won a couple of flags in 16/17 with a bit of luck and if our 2015 club champion didn't turn in to the 2016 Brownlow medallist for someone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back