Just no second string midfield.

B: Hodge, Adams Gardiner
HB: Witherden Andrews Rich
C: McCluggage Neale Cutler
HF: Cameron Hipwood Rayner
FF: Robinson Walker Christensen
Ruck: Martin Zorko Berry
Bench: Ballendon, Bailey, McInerney, Lyons

Sorry, I just had a look at the team I posted and realized I'd forgotten Lyons.

Thanks Jackess

B: Hodge, Adams Gardiner
HB: Witherden Andrews Rich
C: McCluggage Neale Cutler
HF: Cameron Hipwood Rayner
FF: Robinson Walker Christensen
Ruck: Martin Zorko Berry
Bench: Ballendon, Bailey, McInerney, Lyons

Sorry, I just had a look at the team I posted and realized I'd forgotten Lyons.

Thanks Jackess
4 key forwards is too many. They will walk it out of our f50.
Very much doubt Bellenden is going to start in our lineup especially in place of McStay

Good mix of size, speed and marking proficiency.

I understand having a mix of size and speed but you have confused me with the third one - what is the advantage of having people who aren't as good at marking ... or do you mean more along the lines of style of play?

I’d say Ballenden is more than capable of taking Big O or McStay’s role next year. People say we have been flush for key position players but I feel very like it’s been great to not have to throw in a first or second year player who’s not ready.

Hodge Adams Gardiner

Witherden Andrews Rich

Cutler Berry McCluggage

Zorko Hipwood Rayner

McCarthy McStay Cameron

Martin Neale Lyons

McInerney Christensen Robertson Robinson

Gardiner locks down the best forward (on most occasions) while Adams and Andrews intercept. Rayner, Robinson and Zorko play large stints in the inside still while Rich, Christensen and Robertson rotate through the outside.

I think the best thing about this squad is the multi talented players who have experience around the ground. Christensen, Cutler can play really well in whatever position they are played. Rich and Robinson are still decent everywhere.

Notice a few sides with no taylor in them or mention of very interesting I can't see McCarthy taking his spot just yet will need to prove fitness first Squizzy starts round 1 imo

Yo actual I completely forgot about Squizzy he definitely stays in the side I feel like McCarthy or Robinson would be out of mine. I’m leaning towards Robinson if McCarthy has a great preseason and the coaches are confident the young guys can cover his midfield minutes. Other than that Robbo would stay in.

I am guessing you are under 15 yrs old or new to the game?
Poor post. You're not even explaining what you have an issue with in what seems a very innocuous post - that's the kind of attitude I more associate with 15 year olds.
I stopped reading after he said Judd is second to fyfe as a breaking lines clearance winner.

4 key forwards is too many. They will walk it out of our f50.
Very much doubt Bellenden is going to start in our lineup especially in place of McStay
Yeah, I reckon there are better line ups too. Wanna put yours up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full Back: Luke Hodge Marcus Adams Darcy Gardiner
Half Back Alex Witherden Harris Andrews Allen Christensen
Centre: Tom Cutler Jarrod Berry Hugh McCluggage
Half Forward: Charlie Cameron Eric Hipwood Dayne Zorko
Full Forward: Lincoln McCarthy Daniel McStay Cam Rayner
Ruck: Steph Martin Lachie Neale Jarrod Lyons
Int: Daniel Rich Lewis Taylor Nick Robertson Zac Bailey

Next cab off rank (mids): Rhys Mathieson, Mitch Robinson Ryan Lester, Cedric Cox, Brandon Starcevich, Jacob Allison
(forwards): Josh Walker, Toby Wooler, Connor Ballenden, Sam Skinner
(defenders): Josh Walker, Jack Payne, Sam Skinner
(Rucks): Oscar McInerny, Archie Smith

Reasoning:
Backline:
Christensen - In the back to provide more run. Doesn't do a lot up forward so killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
Adams - I went with him over Walker as Adams is much better 1 on 1 and imo a better interceptor.
Rest is pretty straight forward.

Midfield:
Neale and Lyons - In the ruck ups due to them being seriously good contested and clearance players. Would hope Berry, Rayner goes in as well.
Bailey - I wanted to put Mitch Robinson in but it was a toss up with him and Bailey and l feel like we aren't going to be pushed around anymore. Bailey provides more with his express speed.
McInerny - I didn't put him up there due to already having 2 key forwards. I felt like having another one compromised our ability to keep it in our fwd 50. Would hope he still gets game time sometime in the season.
Taylor - I put him in as he is a good link up player from def 50 to fwd 50

Forwards:
McCarthy - He continues to get contracts form Geelong despite being injured all the time which says something. However, he does need to show it in the preseason, otherwise he goes out for Mitch Robinson or a Starcevich.
Rayner - I put him at full forward but l would want him going into centre bounces some of the time.

Next cab off rank (mids): Rhys Mathieson, Mitch Robinson Ryan Lester, Cedric Cox, Brandon Starcevich, Jacob Allison

Reasoning:
Backline:
Christensen - In the back to provide more run. Doesn't do a lot up forward so killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
Adams - I went with him over Walker as Adams is much better 1 on 1 and imo a better interceptor.

Midfield:
Neale and Lyons - In the ruck ups due to them being seriously good contested and clearance players. Would hope Berry, Rayner goes in as well.
Bailey - I wanted to put Mitch Robinson in but it was a toss up with him and Bailey and l feel like we aren't going to be pushed around anymore. Bailey provides more with his express speed.
McInerny - I didn't put him up there due to already having 2 key forwards. I felt like having another one compromised our ability to keep it in our fwd 50. Would hope he still gets game time sometime in the season.

Forwards:
McCarthy - He continues to get contracts form Geelong despite being injured all the time which says something. However, he does need to show it in the preseason, otherwise he goes out for Mitch Robinson or a Starcevich.
Rayner - I put him at full forward but l would want him going into centre bounces some of the time.
Only change I would make is Robinson in for McCarthy. I think Robinson still has plenty to offer and has been underrated around here. Other than that spot on.

Only change I would make is Robinson in for McCarthy. I think Robinson still has plenty to offer and has been underrated around here. Other than that spot on.
Agreed; what possible evidence is there that McCarthy is better in any way over Robinson other than being a shiny new recruit from another club as if that actually warrants something.

Robinson has at least to years left in him, was our third highest tackler for 2018 and inspires the group on field. McCarthy is a pressure forward who has a history for injuries and still needs to prove he can stay on the field.

Don’t know why Robinson doesn’t make the best 22 and don’t know why people keep putting him up for delisting at this stage of the clubs development.

Agreed; what possible evidence is there that McCarthy is better in any way over Robinson other than being a shiny new recruit from another club as if that actually warrants something.
Apparently Robinson was pretty close to being delisted end of the season. So coaches don't rate him. Whereas McCarthy has got a contract even tho if he has been injured so often and a lot of their supporters said he is actually really good when he is on the park. I also did say in the post that he needed to show it in pre-season otherwise l would change him for Robinson

Apparently Robinson was pretty close to being delisted end of the season. So coaches don't rate him. Whereas McCarthy has got a contract even tho if he has been injured so often and a lot of their supporters said he is actually really good when he is on the park. I also did say in the post that he needed to show it in pre-season otherwise l would change him for Robinson

As dlanod said, never any chance of being delisted. Traded maybe, but never delisted.

Ballenden looked a long way off in the NEAFL last year. I'm not expecting anything from him next year.
I kinda agree, his skills are elite like he tested in his draft year, when he has the ball around the ground he uses it well. I just don't think he is using his size yet to hit packs, he still competes a bit like a skinny kid. He certainly would be tossed around helping out in the ruck if that's what he does. A big preseason and some bulk and a bit of mongrel and he will be fine. I think Skinner is the one if he stays fit, that boys does seem to love the contact. My smokey is Fullerton for very late in the season, although I've only seem glimpses of him live I like the way he uses his body which I guess you would expect of a basketball. We are pretty lucky we have some good big kids and can wait on them to fully develop now. McStay is the one with the least solid position of the bigger boys so if he doesn't start well that were the opportunity will come.

He was reported as having a one year contract offer on the table in front of him from May - the hold out appeared to be over terms as he wanted two years. That's not "close to being delisted" if there was an offer that early.
There are players that appear to be on the fringe that clubs want to keep around because of what they offer in other ways as well. Robbo might be border line top team now but as an example to the younger guys of how to turn your life around, how to find dedication, how to put your body on the line, Robbo is it for me. Sit a struggling 18 or 19 year old with him, or a kid with a big head thinking they have it made - Robbo is priceless. He is not hodge in football smarts who looks like a University Professor in comparison but Robbo graduated from the school of hard knocks and plays his role in the squad as well as on the ground. A true Aussie battler.

Reasoning:
Backline:

Midfield:

Forwards:
Who backs up Steph in the ruck? I don’t think McStay is up to it. I think Walker would be a better option than McStay if you are only playing one ruckman,and imo is as good as McStay as a forward anyway,and a better kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back