BBL 2020-21 Big Bash League season

Remove this Banner Ad

Scorchers need some finishers - Turner can hopefully focus his energy on that role as others look to fill the top 4 positions.
Don't mind the Inglis idea though I doubt he'd be too stoked missing out on a top order spot.
Have we snaffled Roy up as he's the best available, dont get me wrong very happy to have him, but opening batsmen werent our weakness last year.
Paris and Gannon have filled the last 2 bowling spots.
What's Gannon like in BBL?

I'd only suggest it if that's what AUs are saying he needs to do to force his way in.

From a Scorchers point of view - leave him opening.

If we could get another international - a proven death bowler would be ideal - Tye and Kelly have been underwhelming in recent tournaments

Recently moved to Vic and has signed to play Premier Cricket with Melbourne so I suspect it's probably true.
Have heard CV like him too. Has trained with the contracted lads, say he bowls a "heavy ball" so to speak.

Have heard CV like him too. Has trained with the contracted lads, say he bowls a "heavy ball" so to speak.
Comfortably the quickest bowler going around Qld Premier cricket the last few years. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he nudges the 150 mark. A little erratic but I think he has a lot of upside. Can hit a long bomb too.

i remeber he dropped 2 sitters to help the gades get over the line lol

Comfortably the quickest bowler going around Qld Premier cricket the last few years. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he nudges the 150 mark. A little erratic but I think he has a lot of upside. Can hit a long bomb too.
Really? That's good news because apparently Zak Evans is quicker.

Really? That's good news because apparently Zak Evans is quicker.
Hit Cam Green in the head a few times in a futures match a few years back so can't be too bad haha. Was a little surprised Qld let him go considering all our bowlers are pretty similar aside from Stanlake who is never available anyway.

Scorchers need some finishers - Turner can hopefully focus his energy on that role as others look to fill the top 4 positions.
Don't mind the Inglis idea though I doubt he'd be too stoked missing out on a top order spot.
Have we snaffled Roy up as he's the best available, dont get me wrong very happy to have him, but opening batsmen werent our weakness last year.
Paris and Gannon have filled the last 2 bowling spots.
What's Gannon like in BBL?

Gannon has 30 wickets from 27 matches. Average of 23.8, econ 8.7. Decent depth.

Agreed but hopefully similar to AFL this season BBL teams can play each other during their quarantine period. I think Perth games are possible with the border but only at the start of the season.

But BBL teams play more than one game over 14 days...

I do have to love the WA governments position, the only chance in your lifetimes of ever seeing the AFL GF in Perth and he made sure it didn’t happen! Vote McGowan in for life!!!

But BBL teams play more than one game over 14 days...

I do have to love the WA governments position, the only chance in your lifetimes of ever seeing the AFL GF in Perth and he made sure it didn’t happen! Vote McGowan in for life!!!
Teams can play as many games as they want in the quarantine period. Not a fan of McGowan at all but Perth games can happen but they need to be at the start of the season. If the season is fixtured right they can have the season start in Perth for a week, then Adelaide for a week, then Melbourne for a week, then Tassie for a week, then Sydney for a week, then finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beginning of the season makes the most sense, but I thought the whispers were it was starting in Hobart. Reckon that would rule it out. You can have teams in quarantine playing each other but I don’t think we have enough facilities to quarantine, train and play eight teams at once.

Would have thought Queensland, New South Wales or South Australia would be the obvious places.

Queensland have Gabba, Carrara, AB Field and in a pinch Cairns and Townsville
New South Wales have a bajillion grounds
SA have Karen Rolton, AO, AO second Oval, Gladys Elphick and Glenelg

Would have thought Queensland, New South Wales or South Australia would be the obvious places.

I like the idea of games split between Launceston and Hobart

Having the shield at those ovals is one thing but the BBL would be in deep s**t if it's being played at KRO and at Glenelg. Put a line through Sydney, weather is rubbish. Tassie has 2 decent grounds, same with SE Queensland, could you have it in Melbourne? Geelong, Marvel and MCG plus the Junction if desperate.

Having the shield at those ovals is one thing but the BBL would be in deep sh*t if it's being played at KRO and at Glenelg. Put a line through Sydney, weather is rubbish. Tassie has 2 decent grounds, same with SE Queensland, could you have it in Melbourne? Geelong, Marvel and MCG plus the Junction if desperate.
Not with Andrews

Try maybe Perth

Having the shield at those ovals is one thing but the BBL would be in deep sh*t if it's being played at KRO and at Glenelg. Put a line through Sydney, weather is rubbish. Tassie has 2 decent grounds, same with SE Queensland, could you have it in Melbourne? Geelong, Marvel and MCG plus the Junction if desperate.
Yeah, Victoria could have been a possibility if not for everything over the past few months. Queensland still probably the best for me.

I have come up with what might be the best or possibly worst solution (either way, be constructive with your feedback please), revolving around a 'C' word that is likely to send shivers down many spines: Conferences.

Northern Bash (28 games)

1st leg (12 games)
Scorchers v Heat - 6 games in Perth
Sixers v Thunder - 6 games in Sydney

2nd leg (16 games)
Heat v Sixers - 4 games in Brisbane/Gold Coast
Heat v Thunder - 4 games in Brisbane/Gold Coast
Sixers v Scorchers - 4 games in Brisbane/Gold Coast
Thunder v Scorchers - 4 games in Brisbane/Gold Coast

Southern Bash (28 games)

1st leg (12 games)
Strikers v Canes - 6 games in Adelaide
Gades v Stars - 6 games in Melbourne

2nd leg (16 games)
Canes v Stars - 4 games in Hobart/Launceston
Canes v Gades - 4 games in Hobart/Launceston
Stars v Strikers - 4 games in Hobart/Launceston
Gades v Strikers - 4 games in Hobart/Launceston

So there. Still 14 games each. Minimised travel while still allowing every team to play games at home. Obvious drawback is potential monotony of repeated head-to-head fixtures, but I don't know, doesn't seem like the worst trade-off to me.

View attachment 912598
I assume this fixture is essentially worthless now. The grounds were always not going to happen however you'd think the dates are now going to be changed too given there'd currently be a clash with with the IT20s on Dec 4, 6 & 8 as well as the Day-Night Test from Dec 17-21.

Again I'm assuming they're not going to have BBL games clashing with international fixtures as per previous years.

I also note they've removed this fixture list from their website.

I was listening to Lalor or Craddock or someone on SEN the other week and apparently all the state governments were very lukewarm in their discussions with CA and was only the NSW government jumping in at the last minute to save the India series.

York Park isn't used for local cricket so if they want a Tasmanian hub they would need some decent prep time to produce the wickets I would have thought.

I was listening to Lalor or Craddock or someone on SEN the other week and apparently all the state governments were very lukewarm in their discussions with CA and was only the NSW government jumping in at the last minute to save the India series.

York Park isn't used for local cricket so if they want a Tasmanian hub they would need some decent prep time to produce the wickets I would have thought.
I wanna see Perth make a play, we had limited AFL, we're getting no international cricket, would love to take the boy to a couple of BBL games over the summer. Would happily support some games without the Scorchers.

Perth does have the stadium and the WACA, but they'd want to get moving on a deal with the government. Surely it's only feasible if they start the season here.

Or they can base it in the states where sides aren’t forced to quarantine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back