List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing a bit of list management discussion kicking off again on the board so here is the central thread for all the noise, rumours and opinions.

I suspect in the next few years as our future 22 becomes more clear, our needs will be a ruckman (after this year we won't have a single ruck on the list who is younger than 28 and over 200cm), a key defender and a key forward.

Given the ruck doesn't need to be dominant, just competitive, and the key defender can be moulded into a great defender if our history in that department is anything to go by, they could both come cheap if we look in the right places. This could make finding a key forward the focus, and there's quite a few good young ones around the competition who in a few years we might be able to make a play for.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
My 2 key wants are a key defender and a midfielder to win the clearances. Would be stoked if we got either Darcy Moore or Brad Crouch

Well we are getting a half forward who is a very good kick in Campbell, and a midfielder who is too small to be a midfielder in the AFL so he will end up as a forward, so those are the kinds of midfielders Longmire really likes.

Well we are getting a half forward who is a very good kick in Campbell, and a midfielder who is too small to be a midfielder in the AFL so he will end up as a forward, so those are the kinds of midfielders Longmire really likes.

FFS where's the evidence that a big mid is any better than a smaller mid?

I posted this in another thread but we need to fill these positions.

I've listed in brackets who I think of our current list is the best we have in that position, in descending order (Best to worst)

aka a depth chart

Ruck (Naismith, Sinclair, Reid, Aliir)

We have 1 Ruckman, Naismith and will need injury cover as Sinclair needs to our #1 target with Buddy out.

KPF (Franklin, Sinclair, Reid, McCartin)

Sinclair cannot be the #1 target.

KPB (Aliir,Rampe)

Seriously deficient in this area, Aliir and Rampe need to be generating drive and not wrestling monsters

Classy Winger (Florent, Lloyd, Dawson)

I think we need a pure outside playe, I actually think Florent and Lloyd would be excellent at this, but are patching holes in other areas.

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Poster on the Carlton board seems to know a member of Sier's family. Says he'll be out of Collingwood at the end of the year if he doesn't get game time and preference is Sydney to be out of the spotlight.

heres the concerns for 2021

franklin 34 geez and still best fwd
kennedy 33 but still best mid
rampe 31 still best mid and playing on the best opposition defender
naismith 29 and not yet to 50 games and sinclair 32 the main rucks

even parker is 29 late next year

some may say franklins done already but if the others fall of a cliff quick, we have massive gaps in key areas,

rampe kennedy consistently in our bests

FreeAgent1

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Poster on the Carlton board seems to know a member of Sier's family. Says he'll be out of Collingwood at the end of the year if he doesn't get game time and preference is Sydney to be out of the spotlight.

That would be interesting. Certainly hits our needs and is in the right age profile that we have gaps in..... From the off-field stuff does seem a bit of a flog....

I honestly think Darcy Moore and not Daniher should be our no 1 priority.

some may say franklins done already but if the others fall of a cliff quick, we have massive gaps in key areas,

They are consistently in our bests because that's the make-up of our team. Kennedy's had more CBAs than anyone, Rampe's always on the number one opposition forward. Everyone else plays supporting roles and then we wonder why their numbers aren't as good and their impact not as great.

But you would be surprised how readily players will take that next step when they have no choice but to do so. We are seeing a prime example of it now with Florent, who is for the first time in his career being given equal, if not more, opportunity than Kennedy who is a club legend. He's more than risen to the occasion.

As for the other positions, like ruck, forward, key defender, you are right there is a drop-off. They will have to be solved by trading if the likes of Melican, McCartin, Blakey, McLean, etc can not adequately fill the very big hole left by the champions.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m really not concerned about our mids, we have the talent to develop the area. Florent has taken big steps forward, Parker has a few years left yet. Heeney has shown he is capable. Hewett is very handy and mck can contribute

Blakey is the one we need to get midfield time into. get him comfortable in there and he is about as difficult matchup there is in the comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I suspect in the next few years as our future 22 becomes more clear, our needs will be a ruckman (after this year we won't have a single ruck on the list who is younger than 28 and over 200cm), a key defender and a key forward.

Given the ruck doesn't need to be dominant, just competitive, and the key defender can be moulded into a great defender if our history in that department is anything to go by, they could both come cheap if we look in the right places. This could make finding a key forward the focus, and there's quite a few good young ones around the competition who in a few years we might be able to make a play for.

Yeah Im with you on this. Power forwards are pretty rare. Would like to see recycled ruck and defs although Aliir, Rampe and Brand as tall defs is solid enough. Like to see Goulden and Campbell join us while we snag another top mid in the draft if possible.

Yeah Im with you on this. Power forwards are pretty rare. Would like to see recycled ruck and defs although Aliir, Rampe and Brand as tall defs is solid enough. Like to see Goulden and Campbell join us while we snag another top mid in the draft if possible.

I don't think we'll get a pick before Campbell. Have a feeling we'll have won too many games, and Campbell will go a lot sooner than people on here think. If we did though, and took it to the draft, I like the look of Thilthorpe.

Ultimately I'd rather us use that first pick to try and trade a quality player in if possible. Throw in next year's first as well if it helps land a big fish in any way. IMO we do not need three kids in this year's draft when we will already be getting two quality ones to add to the bounty already on our list.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

That post was not enjoyable to read as it highlights some scary truths.

FreeAgent1

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Wouldnt mind us targeting: Witherden or Findlayson both OOC.

Agree with above points we should trade out our first pick so there anret any tactical bids if we are pick ~10 when we would need to use it on academy player anyway.

This years draft is going to be a complete mess!!! Also with unability to sign any contracts there will be very reduced time to get all contract stuff sorted....

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

I wanted us to look at him as a potential replacement for Kennedy because of his size. Be interesting to see if anything comes out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back