List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals - Part 2 (The 2020 Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good.

I don't think your focus on Phillips or Hollands is just because of their names. My only point, and I think you know this so I'm not sure why you are so obviously mischaracterising what I have said, is that particulary in a year when we have seen neither of them play, when other players have had greater exposure due to actually being able to play, it simply is not as possible for them to be as clear cut favourites for selection at our pick as you have made them out to be. You continually overstate both the certainty that these are the best players who will be available at our pick as well as the distance between them and the alternatives.

I don't entirely agree with your assessment of our midfield. I think we clearly have drafted with a focus on our midfield in the last few seasons, bringing in Florent, Rowbottom, Stephens and Warner who are all seen as either inside or combination inside/outside midfielders. However...

I didn't call you irrational for your opinion on the state of our midfield. I called you irrational for being pissed off at the club for messing up this draft before it has even happened.

It is true, we wouldn't keep going around and around on this point if I stopped expressing my opinion about your opinion. Of course, it could also be avoided if you stopped spamming this thread with your irrational certainties and anticipatory frustrations.

Have never said my opinions are certainties so if you perceive someone airing an opinion to be declaring a fact, then that's on you.

In the meantime I will post whatever the **** I like and feel OK about it knowing I try not to play the man like you frequently do.

Okay I concede that I don't know for sure what the club will do in the upcoming draft, and that it is an irrational frustration given the draft hasn't even happened yet. But you realise the basis of that frustration is what I consider to be four years of mostly-wrong calls the club has made regarding the midfield? You act as if I want Phillips or Hollands because they have cool names or something, when the only reason I want them is actually based on the past four years, which I've been consistent about, and has been a slow burn. I'm not sure that reaching a conclusion that we desperately need an inside midfielder after four long years where we've declined, not improved, can be considered irrational.

But then of course, you don't agree with my assessment of our midfield, so you just don't get it. So then you call people irrational for seeing something that you don't see at all. And then round and round we go. When it could be avoided if you just weren't so bothered by and judgmental towards those who simply don't share an opinion you may have.
I'm pretty sure the recruiting team is thinking alot harder about the decision than what you are, as it is their job. So really all the energy you're putting into all the scenarios is a bit pointless. You can rest assured that they will be making a very calculated decision, and what they deem is the best decision.

Easy to look in hindsight and critique past decisions. But look at the likes of Rowbottom and McInerney... They weren't even on the draft prospectus radar at the picks they went for. We have a huge success rate with players going at later picks. There's really no reason to not trust in them. I desperately want Phillips too. Pure romance wanting someone who we deem a future midfield gun. But if they don't pick him then I'll trust that DGB will be the player for us.

Have never said my opinions are certainties so if you perceive someone airing an opinion to be declaring a fact, then that's on you.

In the meantime I will post whatever the **** I like and feel OK about it knowing I try not to play the man like you frequently do.
You can feel whatever you want to feel. My posts haven't been "playing the man", though. They have been quite focused on the content of your posts.

Or they take it as a wake up call and be a part of history like Jude Bolton did

Depends if they are professional and determined enough to grow from it or wallow in it and move on.
I've been frustrated recently with the exodus from the Suns and wondering when some young players would stand up and decide they wanted to make that club successful rather than taking the easy option and leaving for a successful club ala Tom Lynch. Hopefully Rowell is that player that sets his own path and inspires those around him to do the same.

Precisely. So I will stop being frustrated when they give me a reason to not be frustrated.
there's an easy solution.. go and support different club (if supporting is what you are doing)
oh, but then they will frustrate you as you know better than all the professionals in AFL coaching, recruiting and list management
So maybe its not an easy solution.. sorry thought i could help

Beatson's revisit of the 2019 draft class is interesting. No mention of Gould lacking condition which seems to be a complaint on here. He said he needed to work on some defensive parts of his game this year. He's a competitor and Beatson looks forward to him debuting next year. Time everyone laid off the cheap fat jokes IMO. My guess is he's fitter than almost everyone on this site has ever been. Just a big boy, which we'll all be thankful for when he's muscling opposition players Reg-style.

Beatson said Stephens adjusted to the pace of AFL more as the year progressed but needs to use his speed more.

Big step up from colts to AFL for Warner, who needs another pre-season to get his running up to AFL standard.

Good little interview.. I like Kinnear, he seems to just say it how it is. High praise and good understanding of where those three are at.

Anyone writing Gould and Warner off from their lack of senior opportunity last year is really jumping the gun.
But that is what Big Footy is for, dont deny them

Anyone writing Gould and Warner off from their lack of senior opportunity last year is really jumping the gun.
Yep. Crazy.
Boys couldn’t even play real games.
The scratch match sim things were a joke apparently. In my mind those lads are still at year 0. Next year first year players. This year was a write off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner Stephens Rowbottom Campbell Gulden Florent

I think our young mid brigade isn’t as bad as we think.

How many genuine insides are there though? Counted 1 in that list with Warner a question mark. That said next year is a better one for mids you’d assume as it runs deeper.

Also compounded by Shannon Grant

also compounded by darren gaspar

KB is clearly aiming for a Richmond like midfield, players able to play inside, outside with good running / endurance. JMac, Ollie, Stephens, Rowbum and Blakey all fit the bill as do Gulden and Campbell. It's a work in progress with the ultimate aim of winning a flag. Only time will tell if KB has been successful.

Getting in pure inside players may win us more games throughout a season but unlikely to win us a flag. If it was as easy as having guys rack up touches, the Hawks would be contenders with Mitchell. I can now see why we were happy to let him go and not match the big bucks offered by Hawthorn.

KB is clearly aiming for a Richmond like midfield, players able to play inside, outside with good running / endurance. JMac, Ollie, Stephens, Rowbum and Blakey all fit the bill as do Gulden and Campbell. It's a work in progress with the ultimate aim of winning a flag. Only time will tell if KB has been successful.

Getting in pure inside players may win us more games throughout a season but unlikely to win us a flag. If it was as easy as having guys rack up touches, the Hawks would be contenders with Mitchell. I can now see why we were happy to let him go and not match the big bucks offered by Hawthorn.

Every team needs inside midfielders though. Sure you can't have a full team of them but no team can win a flag without at least 2 really good inside midfielders.

Every team needs inside midfielders though. Sure you can't have a full team of them but no team can win a flag without at least 2 really good inside midfielders.

You don’t have to spend pick 3 on one though. Can get inside mids anywhere

I'm not sure that inside contested ball is the major factor it used to be. Teams like Hawthorn and Richmond have been very poor at clearances while racking up multiple premierships. They relied on defensive pressure to force a turnover. Hawthorn would hurt you by holding possession with precise kicking once they got it while Richmond got their chaos ball wave thing going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back