Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Draft Central guys don't get many wrong but they clearly did there.....My recollection is Twomey had him mid 2nd round or thereabouts, don't think too many had him late/rookie.
Just on that, all profiles are done by different team members including some that don’t have as much inside info as others on draft range. Obviously the SA based writer didn’t feel he was a top 20 prospect.

Just on that, all profiles are done by different team members including some that don’t have as much inside info as others on draft range. Obviously the SA based writer didn’t feel he was a top 20 prospect.
No need to apologise AFL Draft Central is the bible on the draft as far as I'm concerned....nobody's perfect with the draft very much an inexact science.

With Tom Green dominating parts of games and with Taranto due back in this week I would go hard for Caldwell ($$$).

Hateley secondary but with the most effort going into Jye.
So given he was taken at pick 11 in 2018 and cant get a real crack at it.. what do we offer up for him?..

does the GWS pick do it considering its probably going to be somewhere around pick 15 to 18?...

geez... If we get Pick 1, Compo pick 2 for Brad..

Grab riley thilthorpe with pick 1... a promosing young Mid with pick 2... get Caldwell with the GWS pick..

and then add Edwards, Newchurch and maybe even Borlase using what we have left to match bids on them..

we’d have done alright i think... am I hoping for too much?..

if the GWS pick does end up being a pick 15 to 18, which is very possible, does that put it at risk of having to be used on Edwards?... Is edwards (if he does go the F/S route) a likely top 15 prospect?.. and if yes, trading that pick 15-18 will be a very sensible option.. better than seeing it used to match a bid on Edwards..

In regards to small/medium forwards.

This year we've pretty much got McAdam, Murphy, Stengle and Davis listed. You could count McHenry at a pinch, but he isn't a forward long term imo.

We know Murphy isn't a long term option, and we should know by the end of the year on McAdam and Davis, Stengle has it.

It's not unlikely that we delist Davis and Murphy at years end. We could realistically draft both Durdin and Newchurch late and play Durdin immediately in place of Murphy.

Year after if Dudley is available late he would be worth considering.

Ideally I'd like to see us transition toward a forward line more akin to West Coast's best structure, being two key forwards, a dynamic marking medium forward, a resting mid and two smalls.

This is built with mainly mid to late picks, which are at best often a B+ mid, poor key position player, or a small forward/defender. Sure you can pick up quality mids late on occasion, but invest the quality picks into mids and key forwards and you're a lot better off.

Durdin - Thilthorpe/Frampton - (resting mid)
Stengle - Fogarty - McAdam

Newchurch in the seconds until injury/rest/form warrants inclusion.

Ideally someone like Newchurch or projecting even further, Dudley, can genuinely roll through the midfield while still being a class small forward. Which would allow the resting mid to be a more dangerous option.

So given he was taken at pick 11 in 2018 and cant get a real crack at it.. what do we offer up for him?..

does the GWS pick do it considering its probably going to be somewhere around pick 15 to 18?...

geez... If we get Pick 1, Compo pick 2 for Brad..

Grab riley thilthorpe with pick 1... a promosing young Mid with pick 2... get Caldwell with the GWS pick..

and then add Edwards, Newchurch and maybe even Borlase using what we have left to match bids on them..

we’d have done alright i think... am I hoping for too much?..

if the GWS pick does end up being a pick 15 to 18, which is very possible, does that put it at risk of having to be used on Edwards?... Is edwards (if he does go the F/S route) a likely top 15 prospect?.. and if yes, trading that pick 15-18 will be a very sensible option.. better than seeing it used to match a bid on Edwards..

You're hoping for too much only in expecting pick 2 for Brad.

If we can get 3 picks inside the top 15 with pick 1 included, I like the sound of Thilthorpe, Hollands and Macrae (on paper).

Hollands sounds like he has all the tools to be an elite mid and would have been a stand out number 1 pick. Happy to take the risk.

Thilthorpe is only a no brainer if we can also secure a top end mid.

Macrae has (on paper - haven't seen him play) skills, poise and composure, which we have been sorely lacking for some time now. Please prioritise this.

No point Melbourne going into tank mode since they traded their 2020 for North Melbourne’s 2019 1st and picked up Pickett as a result.
This is interesting.

Right now, we have Dees in 17th with a win and significant % ahead of us (78% to 53%), and with North holding their r1 pick and Goodwin needing to perform, probably wont be in tank mode.

Then Freo's at 16th with a win and even more % ahead of us (87%) and with possibility they would get pick 2 even if they bottomed, they should have tried harder to lose last week if they were in tank mode.

West Coast at 15th have 2 wins and % on us, and Geelong hold their r1 pick so they wont likely be in tank mode.

Sydney, North and bLoos are at 14th, 13th and 12th all have 2 wins and % (~80-90%) on us, North holding Dees' r1 and we've already lost to Swans.

We'd basically have to win 2 games more than any of the bottom dwellers or start scoring lots to lose pole position for pick 1 at this stage.

From Round-8, clubs still to play against are:

GC : Car GWS col haw bris nor StK Ess Ric
- wins: haw nor
- maybe: Car GWS col StK Ess
- loss: bris Ric
[played: wb Syd Mel gee Fre Adl WC por

Car : col GWS Syd Adl bris
- wins: Syd Adl
- maybe: GWS col
- loss: bris
[played: nor por wb StK Ess gee Mel Ric GC WC Fre haw ]

WB: Fre haw WC gee
- wins: haw
- maybe: Fre
- loss: WC gee
[played: por Ric GC Ess Car nor Syd gws StK col Mel bris Adl ]

Coll: nor Car bris GC por
- wins: nor
- maybe: Car GC
- loss: por bris
[played: Syd Fre WC gee haw Ess gws StK Ric wb Adl Mel ]

GWS: Fre Car Adl Mel StK
- wins: adl
- maybe: freo Mel StK Car
- loss:
[played: gee nor wb col haw por bris Ric GC Ess WC Syd ]

Mel: stk syd freo gws ess
- wins:
- maybe: stk freo syd gws ess
- loss:
[played: bris haw gcs ric gee carl wc por col nor wb adl ]

Syd: por bris col gee stk carl melb gws haw freo
- wins:
- maybe: haw freo
- loss:
[played: GC Ric wc wb nor ess adl ]

Haw: por gcs wb ess stk carl wc freo syd adl
- wins:
- maybe: freo syd adl
- loss:
[played: Mel col gws nor ric gee bris ]

Freo: col rich gee wb carl melb gws haw syd nor
- wins:
- maybe: haw syd nor
- loss:
[played: WC stk adl gc por bris ess ]

Nor: por bris col gee gcs carl melb wc freo adl
- wins:
- maybe wins: freo adl
- loss:
[played: Ric ess wb haw syd gws stk ]

Adl: gee ess col rich carl gws wb haw mel nor
- maybe wins: haw nor
[played: stk wc freo bris gc por syd ]

Last edited:
You won't be getting Caldwell for a pick in the 20's, maybe Hately if he has the desire to return to SA...Will Brodie probably an option worth looking at now Rowell and Anderson are ahead of him.

What do GWS need? Heath Shaw will be 35, could we package up Laird and the GWS first for both Hately and Caldwell?

Ok, in an attempt to procrastinate from doing any work, I redrafted 2018 - based on what I’ve seen and predict. Point is: I’ve got 20+ players ahead of our two top picks. Of course, it’s early days - and I’ve seen glimpses from the lads.

Rozee (and went to our arch rival, no less)
Max King (throw a blanket over the twins)
Ben King (will tear the comp up)
Blakey (more upside than all of them)
Smith (STAR. Simple as that)
Rankine (if he gets on the park)
Thomas (Hamish loves him. So do I)
Walsh (the definition of overrated)
Duursma (the one that got away?)
Butters (so crafty)
Luko (could slide further)
Caldwell
Clark
Hamill (we got one right)
Hately (very overrated by this board)
Williams (should’ve gone hard last year)
Jack Ross
Curtis Taylor
Brayden Ham (love this kid)
Quaynor
T Berry (Can see why Mutineer was so keen)
Sturt

Jones
McHenry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, in an attempt to procrastinate from doing any work, I redrafted 2018 - based on what I’ve seen and predict. Point is: I’ve got 20+ players ahead of our two top picks. Of course, it’s early days - and I’ve seen glimpses from the lads.

Butters (so crafty)
Caldwell
Clark
Jack Ross
Curtis Taylor
Quaynor
Sturt

Jones
McHenry
Lol.

I Personally reckon the First Round of the 2016 draft is where we got it all wrong. I remembered screaming out for Jarrod Berry and we got Gallucci and thought hmmmm ok.

But Here are all the picks straight after our pick.

16 – Todd Marshall

17 – Jarrod Berry

18 – Sam Powell- Pepper

19 – Tim English

20 – Isaac Cumming (GWS academy player)

21 – Will Hayward

22 – Jordan Ridley

23 – Alex Witherden

24 – Cedric Cox

25 – Ben Long

26 – Brendan Parfitt

27 – Zac Fisher

28 – Patrick Lipinski

29 – Shai Bolton

I am a big fan of Hamish I always have been but think sometimes he tries to get too clever and smart with his picks. Sometimes they pay off and sometimes they don’t but I am worried if we get some low draft picks that they could be wasted.

Butters (so crafty)
Caldwell
Clark
Jack Ross
Curtis Taylor
Quaynor
Sturt

Jones
McHenry
My god this is harsh

Didn't watch Jones in R23 last year?

Too harsh on the lads?
Incredibly so yes. You'd have the twins ahead of them sure, they are going to dominate the comp for a long time, god forbid they ever play on the same side like they want.

Rozee yep, Thomas yep and we did want him above Jones, Blakey yep but we were never getting him anyway, Walsh would be ahead at the moment but I don't think he will stay there. And Luko is coming good quickly.

Duursma and Butter are currently ahead I would agree, and I was on record as wanting Arrow Boy ahead of Neddy too.

But the rest..... I wouldn't say they'd be ahead. These 2 kids have walked into possibly the most dysfunctional club this century. They both came with high reputations and haven't really been given much of an opportunity to shine like the others.

We needed to get more time into them last year, although Ned was injured for a portion of it

We don't, or didn't give the kids freedom to just play. You rightly put Hamill in the list.... Look what he has done when he's just been allowed to play.

Incredibly so yes. You'd have the twins ahead of them sure, they are going to dominate the comp for a long time, god forbid they ever play on the same side like they want.

Rozee yep, Thomas yep and we did want him above Jones, Blakey yep but we were never getting him anyway, Walsh would be ahead at the moment but I don't think he will stay there. And Luko is coming good quickly.

Duursma and Butter are currently ahead I would agree, and I was on record as wanting Arrow Boy ahead of Neddy too.

But the rest..... I wouldn't say they'd be ahead. These 2 kids have walked into possibly the most dysfunctional club this century. They both came with high reputations and haven't really been given much of an opportunity to shine like the others.

We needed to get more time into them last year, although Ned was injured for a portion of it

We don't, or didn't give the kids freedom to just play. You rightly put Hamill in the list.... Look what he has done when he's just been allowed to play.

Some great points. Maybe time and a tweak in the way we treat these lads will turn the tide.

Butters (so crafty)
Caldwell
Clark
Jack Ross
Curtis Taylor
Quaynor
Sturt

Jones
McHenry
Smith has moved to number 1. Blakey 2. Wheels are starting to fall of Rozee as they are Walsh.

Smith has moved to number 1. Blakey 2. Wheels are starting to fall of Rozee as they are Walsh.
Connor is having a down spell, he will come good. Walsh will be a good player, but not a great one. Part of that is down to the midfield around him though.

My god this is harsh

Didn't watch Jones in R23 last year?
I reckon Cedric Cox is every chance to get delisted at season's end, I've seen enough of him here and in the NEAFL to think he's not a lost cause as an AFL player just yet. He has plenty of attributes when he's on like speed, agility, great overhead for his size and supreme kicking skills all assets we badly need on our list. I'd certainly throw him at least a Rookie list spot (if they still exist in 2021) on the chance a new club, new beginning kicks him into gear. Play him on the wing or as the wide receiver in a midfield and he's capable of doing some real damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back