2020 HFC Pre Season Training

I didn't notice Darcy Cassar in the match practice however he was good in the match simulation and didn't look out of place. My first
impression was he reads the game well and makes good decisions. The final place on the list appears to be between Cassar who is 18
years old and Minchington who is 26 years old and has struggled with injuries. Poppy was really good today so the scales might have tipped
Cassar's way.
The competition for the key positions in defense and the forward line is really interesting and strong. Frawley, McEvoy, Hartley and Frost plus
Scrimshaw who can play tall. Patton, Lewis, O'Brien and Gunston plus Nash who could play tall. Koschitzke, Jekka and Ross are potential KPPs.
Finn, Walker and Day were quiet however in the practice match there was a lot of deep kicking to bypass the flanks. Two cameos were Finn stopping
a player in full flight with a strong tackle and Will displaying great evasive skills followed by a classy kick.
Fionn O'Hara was restricted to bike riding. From memory he came to Waverley last year for two weeks training.

Thankyou mate, it's insights like this that helps us Hawks supporters get through pre seasons!

Ha ha. No it was a reference to how Oz Johnnie may have yet again nailed what Clarko was doing so much so that he had revealed the game plan much to to your displeasure

It was a rather obscure Bigfooty reference.
All good H2F
I got it

The competition for the key positions in defense and the forward line is really interesting and strong. Frawley, McEvoy, Hartley and Frost plus
Scrimshaw who can play tall. Patton, Lewis, O'Brien and Gunston plus Nash who could play tall. Koschitzke, Jekka and Ross are potential KPPs.

This is the key to our success this year, in my eyes if we can get our spine going and looking dangerous look out!!
The big question is can we setup with Frawley,Mcevoy,Frost Ceglar,Lewis,Patton in the one side?

On Hartley - i don't see him starting in rd 1 unless there is a injury,
He will get games during the year make no mistake he is a reliable defender who reads the play well and probably the best kick out of all our KPD. (Chip,Mcevoy,Frost,Kosi,) was just caught behind in the pecking order at Essendon with Hooker & Hurley.

Training was well under way when I arrived with the players involved in match practice. There was a strong breeze favouring the eastern end of the ground. The ball movement was long and direct and the skills were good in the conditions. The accuracy in front of goal was good.

The players not participating were Glass, Hardwick, Howe, Mitchell, Moore, Morris, Pepper, Scrimshaw and Wingard. I didn't sight Burgoyne, Gunston or Impey. Every player has a set training programme with set work loads and it was reassuring to see Hardwick join in match simulations after the match practice.

The players to catch my eye were:
Ross - He ran from contest to contest and read the play very well taking some clean marks as well as gathering the ball at ground level. His ball handling was good as was his disposal. He is a very skillful player and looks stronger and fitter.
Hartley - Showed good closing speed to spoil and read the play well for a number of intercepting marks. He is a very good kick and is really enjoying his footy.
Worpel - The guy is a gun and looking stronger and more assured with his ball handling and disposal. He seems to have more time to win and dispose of the ball.
Nash - He seemed to read the play better to win the ball in space around the wing and then used his pace to run the ball forward and draw a defender away from his man. With a better footy IQ he could be a real weapon.
Frawley - He was rock solid and provided good run out of defense.
Smith - Provided great run to link up play. He appears to be stronger in the air.
Ceglar - Rucked well against Reeves and took some good marks.
O'Brien - Looks stronger and his kicking was elite.
Stratton - Stood up well in defense and based on the three training sessions I've attended I think he'll have a much better year.
Shiels - Strong on the inside and ran hard to provide good link. Clean and used the ball well.
Cousins - Competed strongly and ran hard to provide a link. I thought he looked to have improved his mobility.
McEvoy - Played as a key defender and was very good with his clean marking and reading of the play.
O'Meara - Showed his class and his disposal by foot appeared to be better.
Puopolo - Competed and ran hard and will fight to the death to retain his place in the team.
Lewis - Took some strong marks and kicked well.
Jones - Wins the ball well and is working hard on his disposal.

Generally I think we have improved our depth and there will be a lot of competition for spots in the best 22. I remain quietly confident we'll have more success in 2020 and given some luck with injuries the skies the limit.

man-desert-1813715~2.jpg

houdinihuddo.... This is how your report makes me feel 😊

This is the key to our success this year, in my eyes if we can get our spine going and looking dangerous look out!!
The big question is can we setup with Frawley,Mcevoy,Frost Ceglar,Lewis,Patton in the one side?

On Hartley - i don't see him starting in rd 1 unless there is a injury,
He will get games during the year make no mistake he is a reliable defender who reads the play well and probably the best kick out of all our KPD. (Chip,Mcevoy,Frost,Kosi,) was just caught behind in the pecking order at Essendon with Hooker & Hurley.
"...probably the best kick out of all our KPD."
If only we can find a way to use this strength!

Marc McGowan said that he believes O’hara to be about 180cm tall or maybe shorter but didn’t put it in the article because he doesn’t have exact measurements. He also said he supposedly has great endurance.

Hopefully we have plans to turn him into a pressure forward, if he is quick enough then the rugby background and endurance combo means he’d have good attributes to play that manic pressure Poppy role.

I didn't notice Darcy Cassar in the match practice however he was good in the match simulation and didn't look out of place. My first
impression was he reads the game well and makes good decisions. The final place on the list appears to be between Cassar who is 18
years old and Minchington who is 26 years old and has struggled with injuries. Poppy was really good today so the scales might have tipped
Cassar's way.
Finn, Walker and Day were quiet however in the practice match there was a lot of deep kicking to bypass the flanks. Two cameos were Finn stopping
a player in full flight with a strong tackle and Will displaying great evasive skills followed by a classy kick.
Fionn O'Hara was restricted to bike riding. From memory he came to Waverley last year for two weeks training.
You can still watch the highlights from the afl draft website.
Cassar looks like a good package: good athleticism, neat skills and uses the ball well.
He could easily develop into a rebounding HBF in his 2nd or 3rd season.
Good prospect, and IMO we can't lose either way.
If Minchington remains fit, he will be good for us, and we might pick up Cassar in future drafts.
If not, we take Cassar and have a good prospect on the list.

The forward-line will revolve around Patton and the midfield around Mitchell.

Gunston and Breust are expected to rebound, Wingard will be fit this time, Lewis should improve his fitness base and run out games a lot better.

All Patton has to do is play as the deepest forward. He will either mark it or crash the pack allowing for the small/medium forwards to do their work. That’s why this year there won’t be a “maintain possession” slow style of game anymore.

The forward-line will revolve around Patton and the midfield around Mitchell.

Gunston and Breust are expected to rebound, Wingard will be fit this time, Lewis should improve his fitness base and run out games a lot better.

All Patton has to do is play as the deepest forward. He will either mark it or crash the pack allowing for the small/medium forwards to do their work. That’s why this year there won’t be a “maintain possession” style of game anymore.
Assuming Mitchell plays.

Marc McGowan said that he believes O’hara to be about 180cm tall or maybe shorter but didn’t put it in the article because he doesn’t have exact measurements. He also said he supposedly has great endurance.

Hopefully we have plans to turn him into a pressure forward, if he is quick enough then the rugby background and endurance combo means he’d have good attributes to play that manic pressure Poppy role.
Coming from a rugby background he should be able to execute the don't argue. Get him to spend some time with Punky.

What are you talking about I love the move of BigBoy to CHB
It's Robbie Campbell all over again...and that worked really well. BigBoy may not be as quick as Robbie, but with 'bombing it long into the forward line' slowly coming back in, BigBoy will have a huge advantage with his pack-marking and reading of the ball/play.
I thought the idea of BB playing as a key back was a little weird, but now I'm really warming to it. What a masterstroke it will be for Clarko if he pulls this off.
How exciting...

Maybe it should've been worded ‘delivering it to a leading key forward’ or else it could just mean…

View attachment 809215
This was from Silk's 300th yeah?
Poppy booted 2 monsters in the last quarter and we came from the clouds inside the last minute or so to snatch it..
Obviously Mr Break Glass was instrumental in the dying stages out of the centre!

Back