Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

The one time we seemingly were putting together a robust, contested style built for finals footy was under Sando in 2012.

But we coughed up a home final anyway, went overboard with the heavy weights after that and lost our two key forwards

The reliance on contested football is not built for finals. It is a style that can allow a mediocre side to overperform in certain scenarios, but it will not bridge the gap between the mediocre and the absolute best. Though, it'll probably prevent blowouts in most of the case. Contested football is the first building block, but a side needs a reliable offensive strategy beyond just winning the contested ball to do any damage in September.

Geelong under Scott is really the example as to why it's poor, seeing the more they pushed in that direction, the worst their finals record became.

I had this uneasy feeling back in 2016 when comparing our game style against the run&carry arm-wrestle style of teams like WB, GWS, ... etc. Our style looks great when we're fit and firing but in the pressure cooker environment of a grand final where teams give their all and more, we might not be able to play our skill based game.
Hawthorn won 3 flags in a row with kick-mark

West Coast beat Collingwood with kick-mark

However none of them went -50 in the contested possessions. You need to be at least vaguely in the ballpark.

It’s impossible to judge strategy when the players don’t compete

Hawthorn won 3 flags in a row with kick-mark

West Coast beat Collingwood with kick-mark

However none of them went -50 in the contested possessions. You need to be at least vaguely in the ballpark.

It’s impossible to judge strategy when the players don’t compete

Or can't compete. Quality plays a huge role in doing well.

Or can't compete. Quality plays a huge role in doing well.
No, our players gave up in plenty of 2nd halves last season & didn't have to do with quality but application & motivation.

The reliance on contested football is not built for finals. It is a style that can allow a mediocre side to overperform in certain scenarios, but it will not bridge the gap between the mediocre and the absolute best. Though, it'll probably prevent blowouts in most of the case. Contested football is the first building block, but a side needs a reliable offensive strategy beyond just winning the contested ball to do any damage in September.

Geelong under Scott is really the example as to why it's poor, seeing the more they pushed in that direction, the worst their finals record became.
There should be no such word as “over perform” they perform to their capabilities,that’s what you are capable of

Obviously a crayfish lover as well

Probably just seeking the coldest place near the sea where one of us can get decent work. I’m stuck here until 1 March, missus moved into our rental yesterday. She’s loving it. But it is summer and she starts work next week. Still, a holiday from me is a holiday worth having.

Probably just seeking the coldest place near the sea where one of us can get decent work. I’m stuck here until 1 March, missus moved into our rental yesterday. She’s loving it. But it is summer and she starts work next week. Still, a holiday from me is a holiday worth having.
From Alice to the sea!. Pt Mac is an easy trip to the Mount once you get there and mingle it will be all good lived in Alice and Mount know which I prefer

Remember the good old days when Bigfooty used to be the bastion of football over the summer break. You'd crave some footy and you'd come on here and read the reports from those that went to training, about who looked like they were flying, which new kid looked the goods. the drills that gave some sort of hint of the game plan to come, Was Bock gunna play forward or back,,or at all. Then the back and forth over who would know what they were talking about or not. How young MooKay looked the goods on the training track but he still had his knockers and was called a spud. This young Kid called Walker come from nowhere and is going to be the next Carey. Ahhh the good ol' days. Footy hey. not sure what this is now. Just one guy who went down the the club and had a coffee and might've seen somebody and a whole lotta crap besides. Think I'll jump on KAYO and watch round 2 2018.

Remember the good old days when Bigfooty used to be the bastion of football over the summer break. You'd crave some footy and you'd come on here and read the reports from those that went to training, about who looked like they were flying, which new kid looked the goods. the drills that gave some sort of hint of the game plan to come, Was Bock gunna play forward or back,,or at all. Then the back and forth over who would know what they were talking about or not. How young MooKay looked the goods on the training track but he still had his knockers and was called a spud. This young Kid called Walker come from nowhere and is going to be the next Carey. Ahhh the good ol' days. Footy hey. not sure what this is now. Just one guy who went down the the club and had a coffee and might've seen somebody and a whole lotta crap besides. Think I'll jump on KAYO and watch round 2 2018.

Pretty tough since we went closed training sessions, but yes recall the reports would keep these threads going.

Hard to be too critical though when the only access we now get are the spoon fed, carefully edited and selected vision. Either that or equally manufactured fluff pieces about player x flying and maybe going to the midfield.

There really is very little to discuss.

Pretty tough since we went closed training sessions, but yes recall the reports would keep these threads going.

Hard to be too critical though when the only access we now get are the spoon fed, carefully edited and selected vision. Either that or equally manufactured fluff pieces about player x flying and maybe going to the midfield.

Have you guys had any correspondence with the club or did feenix67 rebellion see an end to it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent post. The only bit I disagree with is this:
"And so Otten gets picked for the GF and fu**s our structure."

This is just flat out wrong. The selection of Otten allowed them to maintain the structure that they'd been using all season - the very same structure which got them into the GF in the first place. Non-selection of Otten would have forced them to change the structure which they'd been using all season, i.e. "****ing with the structure".

Whether they should have ****ed with the structure, given Richmond's unconventional forward line, is a legitimate point of debate... but suggesting that Otten's selection ****ed it is incorrect.
Otten was a symptom of our thought process at the time.

We thought we'd done enough. Thought we were shoe ins. We deserved it.

Giving loyal servant crippled by injury Otten a game in the GF would just be icing on the after glow cake.

Totally agree, just reminiscing. Preseason reports were a big part of why I joined Bigfooty. You know, tragic's getting together to actually discuss footy in the off season.

We had one way of moving the ball forward vs Richmond which was to keep the ball in the air. Use our kick mark game.

Run and hand pass impossible because their forward pressure was vastly superior to our defensive rebound especially with Smith out.

Apply pressure (Charles), get forward half intercepts (Lever), send it forward again.

No Gov meant the forward half pressure dropped off a bit. I don’t know that the other selection candidates offered much more, maybe a little bit.

Would we have been better served by a bit more forward pressure and a bit less ability to move the ball forward by kick-mark? Would the forward pressure have been sufficient already if Charles didn’t get an early injury?

I thought Pyke’s strategic call was understandable.

But nobody knows because the entire team went missing after half time as we lost the contested possession by 50+. Not that failing to compete when it counts is anything new to this club.

Which brings me to this pre season. I don’t know what action the coach needs to take, I don’t think another camp is the answer, but we need to see some grit this year. The foundations for that need to be laid in pre season.

I am sick of this team quitting when it counts.

And the reason why they quit? (At least in my opinion)

Our culture made them feel like they deserved to win. Have a long tenure and you will be rewarded. So as soon as the going gets tough, and they aren't going to get what they "deserve", they pack it in and have a sook.

Senior players getting dropped? They sook because they "deserve" the spot.

Young players leave? They don't feel appreciated because we reward tenure over talent. We have among the worst retention in the league.

Sometimes we have shown up and just get smashed from the first minute. We feel like we put the hard work in on the training track and therefore deserve to win. But again, as soon as it gets tough, we don't have anything to fall back on, so we almost never fight back.

It's such a critical issue that affects the entire club, from admin to players.

And the reason why they quit? (At least in my opinion)

Our culture made them feel like they deserved to win. Have a long tenure and you will be rewarded. So as soon as the going gets tough, and they aren't going to get what they "deserve", they pack it in and have a sook.

Senior players getting dropped? They sook because they "deserve" the spot.

Young players leave? They don't feel appreciated because we reward tenure over talent. We have among the worst retention in the league.

Sometimes we have shown up and just get smashed from the first minute. We feel like we put the hard work in on the training track and therefore deserve to win. But again, as soon as it gets tough, we don't have anything to fall back on, so we almost never fight back.

It's such a critical issue that affects the entire club, from admin to players.
Deserve “their” spot

A genuine question - where did Allefgib disappear to from both this board but more importantly from his awesome past training reports??

He still lurks on here from time to time. Think he posted after Burton got sacked.

Have you guys had any correspondence with the club or did feenix67 rebellion see an end to it?
Pretty much - although it’s more the tone of the Pod altogether I think.

We tend to call it pretty much as we see it, and of course last year we saw a few issues, as many supporters did.

Club appears to have aligned themselves with another Pod now, but that’s ok we won’t change.

We tend to call it pretty much as we see it, and of course last year we saw a few issues, as many supporters did.

Club appears to have aligned themselves with another Pod now, but that’s ok we won’t change.
* them, it was a pointless exercise, the only benefits were you got muffins and they got to tick a box for fan engagement.

LOL, how pathetic.

Probably help one of the Facebook groups put a podcast together, they love the koolaid on there.

Got to stand by your principles.

No point saying things are going swimmingly when they were going shyte….

A strong club should be able to take on criticism!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back