Qld 2020 Queensland Election - October 31

Who are you voting for/would you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As usual, a certain poster thinks they're being very clever while being intellectually dishonest. They know full well Labor were locked out of power for almost 40 years thanks to gerrymandering. By the same logic I could say the Liberals and Nationals don't believe in regional Premiers since they haven't had one from outside Brisbane and the Gold Coast in over 30 years, which would also be intellectually dishonest.
Well, Freckles does come from Kingaroy, the home of the entitled and Jo’s electorate.

So the ALP have been led by someone from the southeast for 80% of living memory, and you think this is evidence that Labor has faith in regional areas?

Interesting.
Is that a scientific figure, or one you pulled from your rear end? There is nothing from it that suggests Labor believes a regional politician can't be Premier, that's a long bow to draw. Labor's leaders post-Joh have all been from the city because most of their parliamentarians have been from the city, plus parties prefer leaders be from a safe electorate. But unless you have some wonderful insight into the internal workings of the Queensland ALP, I don't see what stops someone like Cynthia Lui from becoming Premier one day in the distant future.

Is that a scientific figure, or one you pulled from your rear end? There is nothing from it that suggests Labor believes a regional politician can't be Premier, that's a long bow to draw. Labor's leaders post-Joh have all been from the city because most of their parliamentarians have been from the city, plus parties prefer leaders be from a safe electorate. But unless you have some wonderful insight into the internal workings of the Queensland ALP, I don't see what stops someone like Cynthia Lui from becoming Premier one day in the distant future.

The concentration of seats in urban areas make it easier for an urban MP to attain a power base, from which they can launch their leadership aspirations.
I suspect you're fighting against another thinly veiled Labor bashing exercise dressed up as analysis. The giveaway is yet more of the pseudo-intellectual nonsense.

I suspect you're fighting against another thinly veiled Labor bashing exercise dressed up as analysis. The giveaway is yet more of the pseudo-intellectual nonsense.
Indeed. People are so keen to run with the narratives they have been fed by the media or their favoured side of politics, without critically examining the facts.

The Bible thumpers are trying to take over the LNP. I think they'll be successful if Frecklington loses this election.

Not as leader, yet. Frecklington is useless but she isn't a fundamentalist Christian. The takeover will happen if she loses though.

The whole religious nutters thing is going to be an interesting part of our politics for the near future.
They're often voted into positions of power by virtue of their virtue, then they proceed to demonstrate just how little virtue they actually possess.
Seems to me that the LNP's choice is between IPA hacks or religious nutters but neither are much good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole religious nutters thing is going to be an interesting part of our politics for the near future.
They're often voted into positions of power by virtue of their virtue, then they proceed to demonstrate just how little virtue they actually possess.
Seems to me that the LNP's choice is between IPA hacks or religious nutters but neither are much good.

Regrettably (and incredibly), they tend to overlap quite a bit.

RE the whole regional debate, recent history (1990-) shows that SE QLD voters are unlikely to back a non-urban candidate.

The ALP's faith in the regions is typically limited to certain areas (Townsville, Cairns, Gladstone, Mackay, Rockhampton, sometimes Bundaberg, areas with lots of Aborigines/Torres Strait Islanders). Lebbo73 can confirm that Toowoomba North sometimes votes ALP, but often it doesn't.

That said, I've heard that they may pick up seats on the Gold Coast and maybe even the Sunshine Coast.

That said, I've heard that they may pick up seats on the Gold Coast and maybe even the Sunshine Coast.
I have been wondering whether Labor could win over Caloundra and maybe even Maroochydore with a large infrastructure program. They've been beating their chests about the Bells Creek Arterial upgrade but I doubt this is enough by itself. Maybe committing to an actual timetable for CAMCOS and Sunshine Coast Light Rail instead of just kicking the can down the road again would do it.

RE the whole regional debate, recent history (1990-) shows that SE QLD voters are unlikely to back a non-urban candidate.

The ALP's faith in the regions is typically limited to certain areas (Townsville, Cairns, Gladstone, Mackay, Rockhampton, sometimes Bundaberg, areas with lots of Aborigines/Torres Strait Islanders). Lebbo73 can confirm that Toowoomba North sometimes votes ALP, but often it doesn't.

I suspect that Labor will win. However, it’s hard to no how accurate the polling is. Who is actually doing any polling btw?

I have been wondering whether Labor could win over Caloundra and maybe even Maroochydore with a large infrastructure program. They've been beating their chests about the Bells Creek Arterial upgrade but I doubt this is enough by itself. Maybe committing to an actual timetable for CAMCOS and Sunshine Coast Light Rail instead of just kicking the can down the road again would do it.
The satellite hospitals is massive.
They will win back pumistone back.
Huge infrastructure upgrades for regional hospitals as well.So, those two will make a difference imo.

The 2015 campaign, wherein Newman outright tied the ALP to bikies, would have to rival this.

As if we needed more proof that the QLD LNP is a granola party - full of nuts, fruits and flakes.
I still can't believe deb uttered the words " campbell " and " newman " at all during this campaign.

May as well have just tipped petrol on herself

Back