2021 best 22 (and sub)

Remove this Banner Ad

Early days but will have a crack at best 22. The Lions team will be hard to get into again if your are not named for round 1 baring injuries
Had a look at how many team changes from the loss to GWS in 2019 to the named round 1 team of 2020.
Only 3 changes. OUT Hodge, Christensen & Nic Robertson. IN Mitch Robinson, Starcevich & Birchall (was late out) so i won't count Debutant Robertson
Interestingly Adams & Answerth named in both these teams.
Our best 22 has not changed much since that loss to GWS in 2019.
I have made 4 changes to the Named (Gardiner) PF team v Geelong 2020 one being a forced change in Martin
OUT: Martin, Lester, Birchall, CEY
IN: Payne, Daniher, K Coleman, Cockatoo
We tend to play the players traded in even though Ah Chee missed out round 1 in 2020 due to slight injury but he played the remainder of the year.
I would like to see Cameron play 20-25% wing time. I think that will improve our overall pace and attack from the wing & half back. Robbo if he makes the team can be more of his usual defensive type winger. We need better delivery to our forwards.
Cameron playing more wing time lets me slot in K Coleman. No reason why Cameron can't kick goals from a wing as he did in Adelaide's final years ago.

B: Ah Chee - Andrews - Gardiner
HB: Rich - Payne - Starcevich
C: Cameron - Lyons - McCluggage
HF: McCarthy - Hipwood - Rayner
F: McStay - Daniher - K Coleman

FOLL: McInerney - Neale - Zorko

I/C: J Berry - Bailey - M Robinson - Cockatoo

Unlucky and could easily get named Lester, Birchall, Answerth, CEY

Early days but will have a crack at best 22. The Lions team will be hard to get into again if your are not named for round 1 baring injuries
Had a look at how many team changes from the loss to GWS in 2019 to the named round 1 team of 2020.
Only 3 changes. OUT Hodge, Christensen & Nic Robertson. IN Mitch Robinson, Starcevich & Birchall (was late out) so i won't count Debutant Robertson
Interestingly Adams & Answerth named in both these teams.
Our best 22 has not changed much since that loss to GWS in 2019.
I have made 4 changes to the Named (Gardiner) PF team v Geelong 2020 one being a forced change in Martin
OUT: Martin, Lester, Birchall, CEY
IN: Payne, Daniher, K Coleman, Cockatoo
We tend to play the players traded in even though Ah Chee missed out round 1 in 2020 due to slight injury but he played the remainder of the year.
I would like to see Cameron play 20-25% wing time. I think that will improve our overall pace and attack from the wing & half back. Robbo if he makes the team can be more of his usual defensive type winger. We need better delivery to our forwards.
Cameron playing more wing time lets me slot in K Coleman. No reason why Cameron can't kick goals from a wing as he did in Adelaide's final years ago.

B: Ah Chee - Andrews - Gardiner
HB: Rich - Payne - Starcevich
C: Cameron - Lyons - McCluggage
HF: McCarthy - Hipwood - Rayner
F: McStay - Daniher - K Coleman

FOLL: McInerney - Neale - Zorko

I/C: J Berry - Bailey - M Robinson - Cockatoo

Unlucky and could easily get named Lester, Birchall, Answerth, CEY
Once he gets his fitness levels up, Cockatoo could be our long term replacement for Robbo on the wing.
He is aggressive in defence, has speed and skills and instinctive.
I doubt that Fages will leave Birchall out of the round 1 team, I am hoping he gets pushed out as the year progresses but I do think that if he is fit he will be named for round 1.
At training on Friday he was looking 1000% in comparison to where he was this time last year.

Once he gets his fitness levels up, Cockatoo could be our long term replacement for Robbo on the wing.
I doubt that Fages will leave Birchall out of the round 1 team, I am hoping he gets pushed out as the year progresses but I do think that if he is fit he will be named for round 1.
At training on Friday he was looking 1000% in comparison to where he was this time last year.
This time last year, Birchall looked like he had retired 3 years beforehand.

I am a Birchall fan and can see him being named.
But i see only one of Payne, Birchall & Lester being named even though they are slightly different types pf players.
Our team was just a little slow in defense in the 2020 prelim.
Cockatoo adds a bit of X factor to the team. From what you and others have mentioned fitness wise i see him as an impact player if he makes round 1 team.
Be interesting to know which group he is training with. Thought he may slot in like an Ah Chee type playing either forward or defense.

But i see only one of Payne, Birchall & Lester being named even though they are slightly different types pf players.
Cockatoo adds a bit of X factor to the team. From what you and others have mentioned fitness wise i see him as an impact player if he makes round 1 team.
Be interesting to know which group he is training with. Thought he may slot in like an Ah Chee type playing either forward or defense.
Very hard to tell at the moment because they are splitting the groups up and mixing them due to the current 10 per group rule.
I definitely think that if Cockatoo starts round 1 it will not be on a wing due to his current fitness levels so it’s hard to see him starting anywhere other than as a burst/impact player forward of the ball. As the year progresses he may move further up the field.

Very hard to tell at the moment because they are splitting the groups up and mixing them due to the current 10 per group rule.
I definitely think that if Cockatoo starts round 1 it will not be on a wing due to his current fitness levels so it’s hard to see him starting anywhere other than as a burst/impact player forward of the ball. As the year progresses he may move further up the field.
Just posted on another thread normal training for AFL & AFLW starts today.
Except for Brisbane but maybe Lions can start from Tuesday

It seemed to me that Birchall spent more time on the bench then many of the other backs in 2020. I don't have any stats, just my casual observation so I could be wrong. Has been a good player, but IMO we are past the stage of needing Birchall, because we have an inexperienced backline. Rich, Andrews, Gardiner and Lester have plenty of experience. We are slow with Birchall, Lester and Rich in the backline. Certainly Birchall has too much pride to finish his career in reserve grade. I think 'Dlions' has mentioned previously that Birchall will be in the side at the beginning of the year but believes he is overtaken during the year. I believe whenever there is a 'flip of the coin' on a selection, there should be some weighting towards not just the immediate game but 2022 and beyond. I expect there will be a few more inclusions throughout the year, so, not the same 22-24 each round. Don't think Answerth has done too much wrong so will be pushing hard for inclusion in best 22. Payne has to be backed in on Prelim game. I agree with 'Section 5' inclusion of Coleman in best 22 for the beginning of 2021, lets back him in, I like what he offers. I suspect Fullarton will at some point get an an opportunity, but McStay will have first crack at that roving/linking forward role, now that we have Daniher, but McStay will need to be more consistent.
Tough decisions for weekly selections, and whilst it is a good position for the club to have around 26-27 AFL standard players, can see a few of the young guys looking for opportunities elsewhere, which is not uncommon, think Richmond lost two or three AFL standard young players at the end of 2020.

It seemed to me that Birchall spent more time on the bench then many of the other backs in 2020. I don't have any stats, just my casual observation so I could be wrong. Has been a good player, but IMO we are past the stage of needing Birchall, because we have an inexperienced backline. Rich, Andrews, Gardiner and Lester have plenty of experience. We are slow with Birchall, Lester and Rich in the backline. Certainly Birchall has too much pride to finish his career in reserve grade. I think 'Dlions' has mentioned previously that Birchall will be in the side at the beginning of the year but believes he is overtaken during the year. I believe whenever there is a 'flip of the coin' on a selection, there should be some weighting towards not just the immediate game but 2022 and beyond. I expect there will be a few more inclusions throughout the year, so, not the same 22-24 each round. Don't think Answerth has done too much wrong so will be pushing hard for inclusion in best 22. Payne has to be backed in on Prelim game. I agree with 'Section 5' inclusion of Coleman in best 22 for the beginning of 2021, lets back him in, I like what he offers. I suspect Fullarton will at some point get an an opportunity, but McStay will have first crack at that roving/linking forward role, now that we have Daniher, but McStay will need to be more consistent.
Tough decisions for weekly selections, and whilst it is a good position for the club to have around 26-27 AFL standard players, can see a few of the young guys looking for opportunities elsewhere, which is not uncommon, think Richmond lost two or three AFL standard young players at the end of 2020.
You are correct in that Birchall spent the least TOG of all Lions players that played 10+ games being on the ground for 72.38%.
Surprising to me is that number 2 from bottom is J Berry at 77.47% although 6 players sit in the range 77 - 80%
Other defenders being Andrews (tops the Lions list) at 95.38%, Gardiner 95.06%, Lester 88.12%, Rich 81.8%, Ah Chee (F/D) 81.72% Starcevich 78.17%

With Starc to move up the ground?
sorry just to say that this is what I was told by someone who would know before he got officially recruited. Plan was to ease him into the speed of the game by playing behind the ball. Adds grunt, speed and X factor which we lack down there. However, going by training reports, the club see's him as a potential key piece of the team already. Has surprised a few with his skill set and athletic ability. If he trains hard, loses a few kg's, there may be a possibly he could start further up the ground? would be interesting to see his development. I have some vested interest in Cockatoo, and would love to see him succeed. A very loveable bloke who deserves some good luck for once!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a lot of people write off Birchall he is only 32. He missed a few years of footy another preseason he might be close to his best.
His best was in a team that won 4 premierships.
I know look to the future although you need someone with a cool head in big games.
Zorko is 31 and Rich 30.. Everyone looking at them as clock is ticking.. Could be good for another 2-3 years as well.

Problem we have is we have a lot of kids that need to play soon. Guys who got a taste like Payne, Kiddy, Dev and T Berry.
if you look at PF loss..We only had really Archie and Matho who played 10+ games available and not picked now Witho gone.
Gardiner, Answerth and Adams where injured. So 5 players outside of our main 22 if I looked correctly.
Gardiner comes in for Payne or Lester, Daniher in for Martin.. Cockatoo in for ??? CEY and shuffle around.

Not sure how we get kids rotated if no injuries

Thanks too everyone who contributes to this thread. I like to check in every couple of days too see everyone's comments. Haven't got anything to add at this stage but love too see all the different perspectives - keeps me engaged with the team's progression. Cheers

Providing Tom is match fit & show's promise in the pre-season games, I predict he will start Round 1.

I think a lot of people write off Birchall he is only 32. He missed a few years of footy another preseason he might be close to his best.
His best was in a team that won 4 premierships.
I know look to the future although you need someone with a cool head in big games.
Zorko is 31 and Rich 30.. Everyone looking at them as clock is ticking.. Could be good for another 2-3 years as well.

Problem we have is we have a lot of kids that need to play soon. Guys who got a taste like Payne, Kiddy, Dev and T Berry.
if you look at PF loss..We only had really Archie and Matho who played 10+ games available and not picked now Witho gone.
Gardiner, Answerth and Adams where injured. So 5 players outside of our main 22 if I looked correctly.
Gardiner comes in for Payne or Lester, Daniher in for Martin.. Cockatoo in for ??? CEY and shuffle around.

Not sure how we get kids rotated if no injuries
I think being a top 2 side the last few years is the main reason we have not played many from the twos.
A low injury list is always welcome and contributes to less spots available.
It's a fine line for coaches as you need to win enough games to make finals and you also should be looking forward to the future

Regarding games played at the lower end of the scale the Lions are in a similar position as the other 3 top 4 sides.
Below 2021 playing list of inexperienced to experienced game played for the top 4 sides. Figures from footywire
I am sure we will see more games from the likes of K Coleman, Payne, D Robertson, Fullarton and every year some make their debut
Over the last 6-7 years when teams like Geelong, Hawthorn & Richmond had a player debut and played very well i used to think where the hell do they get these guys. Of course they have just been biding their time in a stronger two's competition than the NEAFL.
Time also gets their body in better condition to play at AFL level
The Lions are in a good place but need to improve to win a Prelim. From that point anything can happen

Games Played
Lions
Tigers
Cats
Port
0​
11​
9​
11​
10​
1-10​
6​
4​
4​
4​
11-30​
3​
6​
4​
3​
31-100​
12​
9​
8​
12​
101+​
12​
13​
17​
13​
Totals​
44​
41​
44​
42​

thanks Section 5
roughly the same between all sides. Apart from the cats with an older list more 100+ players.
Yes the Cats have a very experienced team especially on game day during 2020
In our Prelim loss, the Cats had 162 games average experience to Lions 114. And 114 is not to bad an average.
Going into 2021 the Cats are 1st for average games at 88 to Lions 12th at 63.5
The Cats did lose 829 games experience in Ablett, Jack Steven & Taylor but gained 618 games in Jeremy Cameron, Shaun Higgins & Isaac Smith.

Yes the Cats have a very experienced team especially on game day during 2020
In our Prelim loss, the Cats had 162 games average experience to Lions 114. And 114 is not to bad an average.
Going into 2021 the Cats are 1st for average games at 88 to Lions 12th at 63.5
The Cats did lose 829 games experience in Ablett, Jack Steven & Taylor but gained 618 games in Jeremy Cameron, Shaun Higgins & Isaac Smith.
114 is great in comparison to what we were averaging in Leppa’s last year in 2016 which was probably in the high 60’s or low 70’s from memory.

Pretty sure Higgins and Smith 32, as I said a lot here want Birchall gone and Mitch
Yes I love the kids to come on and start overtaking guys although need some experience.
Over 30 now Stef and Bundy gone.. We have 4? Rich, Zorko, Robbo and Birchall?
next around 27-28 CEY, McCarthy, Neale, Lyons and Adams.
Then be Dizzy, McStay, Oscar, Archie and Joe next group

rest 24 and under group around 70-100 games like Andrews, Hippy, Clugga and Berry

If we stay fit and strong there be pressure on spots.
I hope Fagan actually does drop a player here and there. Not just keep them playing when lack of form

Pretty sure Higgins and Smith 32, as I said a lot here want Birchall gone and Mitch
Yes I love the kids to come on and start overtaking guys although need some experience.
Over 30 now Stef and Bundy gone.. We have 4? Rich, Zorko, Robbo and Birchall?
next around 27-28 CEY, McCarthy, Neale, Lyons and Adams.
Then be Dizzy, McStay, Oscar, Archie and Joe next group

rest 24 and under group around 70-100 games like Andrews, Hippy, Clugga and Berry

If we stay fit and strong there be pressure on spots.
I hope Fagan actually does drop a player here and there. Not just keep them playing when lack of form
Yes I think Fagan has more confidence in some of the young guys, so some of the 'established best 22' might not receive as much latitude when form is average over a period of a few weeks. I think we will get an indication of selection policy in the pre season games, but really hope Birchall, Adams, Lester, Robinson, even possibly Zorks don't get selected for the pre season games over Coleman, Dev, Payne, Prior, Answerth, possibly B.Smith etc

As usual in the pre season i am bullish about our prospects for the upcoming year
Fagan has said many times players just need to keep improving on the previous year and Team success will follow.
I can see solid to big improvement in these players for 2021 (age order old-young):
CEY, McInerney, McStay, Hipwood, Ah Chee, J Berry, Starcevich, Answerth, Bailey, Payne, Rayner & K Coleman (yep Rayner is only 5 months older than Kiddy)

Like to see more consistency in two good players
McCarthy & Cameron

Form watch on our 3 oldest players
Birchall, Zorko & M Robinson

All other best 22 to hold their 2020 form
The traded in Daniher & Cockatoo hope they are a success at our club. Form unknown at this stage but very hopeful on both especially Daniher.
Marcus Adams just hope he can put a full season together but not hopeful. Some players are just injury prone.
Treading water: A Smith & Mathieson but their is always hope
Have not seen enough of the rest to form an opinion
If we get this improvement no reason why we won't finish top 4 again this year. Well that's what i am hoping anyhow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back