Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see Alistair Lord going much higher up.
He's the one I'd really like to see slide.

We need to find a 2nd round pick somewhere.

He was certain to go late until that last game vs WA where he was one of SA’s best. I think there is still hope he slips to the back end of the draft

Someone during trade week said he started as a HBF. Your post made me look at the draft and trading board to see how accurate that comment was. Found this from Weaver's review of 2007 talent in July 2007 after the national championships.

29. Patrick Dangerfield (BP, Centre)
Was on-fire early for Geelong in the backpocket where he beat all comers as a rampaging backpocket. Given the tough tagging tasks in the carnival so is perhaps under-exposed. Big-bodied centreman / onballers are rare and sought after and Dangerfield fits the profile. He is tough as teak and kicks the ball well. No Jordan Lewis (yet) but clubs after someone to fill that sort of ruck-rover role won't have too many options and Dangerfield will be close to the best of them.

Me: “wow, he really nailed it with Rance!”

Also me: “what in the dodgy silicon t¡ts is a ‘Steve Gaertner’?!”

The 4 picks I took in the BigFooty Phantom Draft:

Pick 14 - Josh Sinn (186cm Defender/Midfielder - Ranked #4)

Pick 56 - Sam Breuer (183cm Midfielder/Defender - Ranked #37)

Pick 66 - Harvey Harrison (181cm Midfielder - Ranked #38)

Pick 67 - Oscar Adams (198cm Key Defender/Ruck - Ranked #41)
For the picks you had this is a great return, good write ups as always too.

Sinn too good to pass and I love the Oscar Adams late pick in particular. Just what we need. If Burgoyne gets to pick 66 in the real thing then we’ll get him as a rookie which is another win.

My sneaky hope is for Hugh Jackson to makes it through to pick 56.

So we have delisted 9 and with Finlayson incoming that means we can draft 8 (including Mayes as a rookie)?

Would that be 5 on the main list and 3 as Cat A rookies including Mayes?

This could expand to 9 in total if we don't offer Motlop a contract!

Assuming no DFA's picked up, and no "spare" list spots ie. all spots filled, then we would probably need to do some pick swaps on Draft night "on the fly" to get a couple of second round picks in. I've also assumed we F/S nominate Burgoyne.

My ideal draft, with expectations of a couple of sliders/bolters occurring, would be:

Pick 12: Wanganeen-Milera (wing/hff elite kick)
Early 20s: Sonsie or Knevitt (inside mids with burst speed)
Early 30s: Lohmann (X factor small forward/midfielder)
F/S: Burgoyne match (hbf/wing)
Late: Adams (ruck/kpp)

Rookie: Breuer (hbf/inside mid)
Dudley (small forward with bag of tricks)
Mayes (utility/super sub).

If we delist Motlop, then we could look at a project late pick ruck.

So we have delisted 9 and with Finlayson incoming that means we can draft 8 (including Mayes as a rookie)?

Assuming no DFA's picked up, and no "spare" list spots ie. all spots filled, then we would probably need to do some pick swaps on Draft night "on the fly" to get a couple of second round picks in. I've also assumed we F/S nominate Burgoyne.

My ideal draft, with expectations of a couple of sliders/bolters occurring, would be:

haven’t we delisted/retired/traded out 8, with one back in via trade and one being rookied?

so six spots available?

I wouldn’t trade into this draft, I’d keep next years picks as there is a big group of SA talls we should be targeting. Plus I think we’re going to be going very hard at Lukousis this time next year, need to keep all next years picks if possible.

I wouldn’t trade into this draft, I’d keep next years picks as there is a big group of SA talls we should be targeting. Plus I think we’re going to be going very hard at Lukousis this time next year, need to keep all next years picks if possible.

Agreed, although the only caveat would be if Amish, Draper or Goater were there at 25 ish or Williams, Bazzo or JVR were there after 30.

I'd only get Amish if we needed to build a barn. But then again, everything I know about them I learned from Witness with Harrison Ford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way to get into round 2 this year is to trade away picks from next year's super draft. No way Jose.

haven’t we delisted/retired/traded out 8, with one back in via trade and one being rookied?

so six spots available?
So what I did was look at Friday's 'Tiser (yes I know, what was I thinking?) :rolleyes::embarrassedv1:

Outs are:
Burgoyne
Garner
Goldsach
Hartlett
Ladhams
Lienert
Mayes
Rockliff
Woodcock = 9.

Ins are:
Finlayson
Mayes (re-rookie) = 2.

Thus available spots = 9 - 2 = 7 (or 8 if you prefer to include Mayes, which I did, and duly noted same in my post).

And of course that increases by 1 if Motlop gets no contract offer from Port.

I see the rag only listed us as having 5 draft picks though - not sure why, but anyway I went with that, and said we could take 5 in the main draft plus 3 rookies incl Mayes.

So what I did was look at Friday's 'Tiser (yes I know, what was I thinking?) :rolleyes::embarrassedv1:

Outs are:
Burgoyne
Garner
Goldsach
Hartlett
Ladhams
Lienert
Mayes
Rockliff
Woodcock = 9.

Ins are:
Finlayson
Mayes (re-rookie) = 2.

Thus available spots = 9 - 2 = 7 (or 8 if you prefer to include Mayes, which I did, and duly noted same in my post).

I see the rag only listed us as having 5 draft picks though - not sure why, but anyway I went with that, and said we could take 5 in the main draft plus 3 rookies incl Mayes.

yup you’re spot on, sorry went off AFL.com that haven’t listed Goldsack as being delisted.

I would think, from all the talk, we won’t go in with a full list next year.

yup you’re spot on, sorry went off AFL.com that haven’t listed Goldsack as being delisted.

I would think, from all the talk, we won’t go in with a full list next year.

Yup and rightly so, I'd think we'd be going in with minimum players required so we have some cash to sign up 2018/19 draftees plus have a crack at Lukosius for 2023!

I wouldn't be picked NWM with our first pick. This is our premiership window and we have to go needs based and to me it's someone like Sonsie, Knevitt or Draper that we need. If we think one of those will be there around pick 18 and if we get a good deal to trade 12 for 18 and a second rounder (hypothetical) then we can do it. If not take one of those 3

Outs are:
Burgoyne
Garner
Goldsach
Hartlett
Ladhams
Lienert
Mayes
Rockliff
Woodcock = 9.

Ins are:
Finlayson
Mayes (re-rookie) = 2.

They said the other day Frederick was elevated to the main list, plus Pasini got a 2 year deal at the end of 2020, which means 2021 on the rookie list and 2022 is on the main list.

So that is 33 on the main list, so a max of 5 can be drafted/ or DFA added onto the main list of 38. Our rookie list is Schofield and McEntee and after we re rookie Mayes it will be 3 so if we go with 38 on the main list we can add 1 more rookie to have the max 38+4=42 list.

I am sceptical about Frederick being elevated, but they printed it last week, so I'm assuming for now, they have some inside info the club hasn't publicly released.

1635046509077.png

Last edited:
G'day guys, I'm not 100% across Port's draft ambitions in November, but curious to gauge where Power fans sit with regards to a potential live trade with Richmond?

If the Tigers were to fill our boots with picks #7, #15, #26 and #27, could Port be open to our #28 for a look at your 2022 picks? Just your 2022 second rounder probably wouldn't get it done, given I can't see you finishing outside the top 4 next year (hence 2nd rounder most likely won't be under #35).

Is there someone Port might have their eye on who you think could slide to #28 to get some trade action going? So what would you seriously be prepared to part with to make something happen that wouldn't just see the Tigers walk away from the table?

G'day guys, I'm not 100% across Port's draft ambitions in November, but curious to gauge where Power fans sit with regards to a potential live trade with Richmond?

If the Tigers were to fill our boots with picks #7, #15, #26 and #27, could Port be open to our #28 for a look at your 2022 picks? Just your 2022 second rounder probably wouldn't get it done, given I can't see you finishing outside the top 4 next year (hence 2nd rounder most likely won't be under #35).

Is there someone Port might have their eye on who you think could slide to #28 to get some trade action going? So what would you seriously be prepared to part with to make something happen that wouldn't just see the Tigers walk away from the table?
We would have zero idea what our club will want to do, but i personally wouldn’t trade out of the first 2 rounds of next years draft at all and I struggle to see why port would do it for anything other than a great deal.

I also don’t see why the tigers would trade pick 28 after all the trouble they went to get pick 27. Richmond are doing a quick mini rebuild to try to build on top of their current players, I can’t see them pushing picks into the future.

Also the idea that port would have to give up more than their future 2nd to get into an area of the draft that will be incredibly thin for players port would be interested in is a bit much.

They said the other day Frederick was elevated to the main list, plus Pasini got a 2 year deal at the end of 2020, which means 2021 on the rookie list and 2022 is on the main list.

So that is 33 on the main list, so a max of 5 can be drafted/ or DFA added onto the main list of 38. Our rookie list is Schofield and McEntee and after we re rookie Mayes it will be 3 so if we go with 38 on the main list we can add 1 more rookie to have the max 38+4=42 list.

I am sceptical about Frederick being elevated, but they printed it last week, so I'm assuming for now, they have some inside info the club hasn't publicly released.

View attachment 1266872
Aahh. I see.
Frederick threw me out by that one spot :think:

We would have zero idea what our club will want to do, but i personally wouldn’t trade out of the first 2 rounds of next years draft at all and I struggle to see why port would do it for anything other than a great deal.

I also don’t see why the tigers would trade pick 28 after all the trouble they went to get pick 27. Richmond are doing a quick mini rebuild to try to build on top of their current players, I can’t see them pushing picks into the future.

Also the idea that port would have to give up more than their future 2nd to get into an area of the draft that will be incredibly thin for players port would be interested in is a bit much.
Yeah fair enough, I was only putting it out there as I saw that you guys had a big gap between your first and second picks, with the intention of possibly instigating a mutually beneficial trade. Richmond have made it clear they’re keen to trade into 2022 draft with a number of key retirements imminent next year, and we’ve always seemed to have had a pretty good working relationship with Port insofar as trades go.

Port Adelaide has a strong first-round selection (Pick 12) then a big chasm to its next selections at Picks 63, 73 and 74. Those picks could be used to match a bid on father-son gun Jase Burgoyne, however where he attracts a bid remains unclear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back