Discussion 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast are a totally different team at home to the one that plays away, we're the opposite, we play better away from home than at Marvel.

Just texted that exact thing to my son’s in laws who are big WCE supporters. ( Although we could have beaten them there). They’ve stopped watching.

Remember that run of about 29 Friday night wins in a row we had at Etihad….that was nice!

Eagles really honoring Shannon Hurn

Looks like we're the frontrunners to get Clarko now, surely Collingwood can't sack Harvey after this performance, likewise Teague after last night.

Well played Saints.
They don't need to sack him as his is only a caretaker appointment.
Very long odds to get this or any other senior job.

Eagles trying to poach clarko from us

Seriously….here’s the plan -
Clarko going to get paid $900k not to coach next season anyway and re-energise, and then…

….take over when Ratts’ contract comes to an end.

Last edited:
Seriously….here’s the plan -
Clarko going to get paid $900k not to coach next season anyway and re-energise, and then…

….take over when Ratts’ contract comes to an end.

While Clarkson said he was contractually free to coach elsewhere next year, he denied he was heading to another AFL club at the end of the season.

"I'm just going to take a breather. Right at the present time, my commitment is to have a spell and see where 2023 will take me."

He's taking 2022 off. Think you might be right

I would love Banger in charge at our club. Wouldn't cop the crap effort we've seen this year.
I did initially too but I think he's a pretty reserved fella and I think we need a more in your face type as our next in charge. Clarkson is absolutely that so if not as head coach I would like him at the club in some capacity next year if we can. I also am starting to go against bringing in former players or people wedded to the Saints, I don't think they would adopt the more brutal mentality of what I think is required for this playing group - feel our list is largely mentally inept as it pertains to what is needed to perform professionally and consistently. There's no ruthless edge to our list. Only one I've seen come in to our club with St.Kilda ties and still be able to coach a ruthlessness into the group was Grant Thomas.

I'm actually glad the coaching group we have is largely outsiders. Hamill the only exception but he will probably go at the end of the year. There's a culture at St.Kilda that has to change, I just struggle to see how that can be changed by somebody who has been part of it before.

There's a culture at St.Kilda that has to change, I just struggle to see how that can be changed by somebody who has been part of it before.

Scott Watters tried.

He gave it to the group honestly; Runner Up is not good enough.

Then they turned on him...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott Watters tried.

He gave it to the group honestly; Runner Up is not good enough.

Then they turned on him...
See the difference between Thomas & Watters is that Thomas actually respected the leaders of the football club. What a mistake it was bringing that clown in.

Mind my innocence on this one. But what was the deal with the Watters and players thing?
One of the first things he did at the club is demand all memorabilia from around the club to be removed because as he told the playing group, they shouldn't be accepting mediocrity or being runners up.

See there's a way of going about things with respect, a true leader doesn't act the way that Watters did. For many of our senior players at the time, there had been an extreme amount of work done for us to get to that point - especially considering the facilities the players were working out of and the obvious pressures that come with delivering St.Kilda a premiership. He disregarded all of the hard work they had put in to get as far as they did, and he did it just over 12 months after it had happened.

Many players would have been emotionally wrecked after the two years that preceded Watters - who, being new to the club, had absolutely no idea of what had been involved or required to get to that point.

It was basically just a real kick in the guts to a bunch of people who were already hurting. He could have galvanised the group by bringing them together and he could've done a better job on getting them to move on from their disappointments but the way he went about it just showed an obvious lack of empathy and social awareness really. He was a complete disgrace.

And I can't see how people can possibly think those players were soft for reacting negatively to what he did, as they'd just spent 7 of the past 8 years in or around the top four. That takes mental resilience in itself, not to mention the way Ross demanded excellence. That group was already mentally tough, we saw it for near on a decade before the angry little midget got there.

I guess he was on a power trip or something, clearly didn't have the skills to coach at the top level.

One of the first things he did at the club is demand all memorabilia from around the club to be removed because as he told the playing group, they shouldn't be accepting mediocrity or being runners up.

See there's a way of going about things with respect, a true leader doesn't act the way that Watters did. For many of our senior players at the time, there had been an extreme amount of work done for us to get to that point - especially considering the facilities the players were working out of and the obvious pressures that come with delivering St.Kilda a premiership. He disregarded all of the hard work they had put in to get as far as they did, and he did it just over 12 months after it had happened.

Many players would have been emotionally wrecked after the two years that preceded Watters - who, being new to the club, had absolutely no idea of what had been involved or required to get to that point.

It was basically just a real kick in the guts to a bunch of people who were already hurting. He could have galvanised the group by bringing them together and he could've done a better job on getting them to move on from their disappointments but the way he went about it just showed an obvious lack of empathy and social awareness really. He was a complete disgrace.

And I can't see how people can possibly think those players were soft for reacting negatively to what he did, as they'd just spent 7 of the past 8 years in or around the top four. That takes mental resilience in itself, not to mention the way Ross demanded excellence. That group was already mentally tough, we saw it for near on a decade before the angry little midget got there.

I guess he was on a power trip or something, clearly didn't have the skills to coach at the top level.

Exclusive footage of his first day as St Kilda coach:

Dvi0O5M.gif

While Clarkson said he was contractually free to coach elsewhere next year, he denied he was heading to another AFL club at the end of the season.

"I'm just going to take a breather. Right at the present time, my commitment is to have a spell and see where 2023 will take me."

He's taking 2022 off. Think you might be right
Clarkson is a bit smarter than the average bear and gives nothing away that he doesnt want too. Will have a gig lined up.

Clarkson is a bit smarter than the average bear and gives nothing away that he doesnt want too. Will have a gig lined up.
Totally agree with you Bill.
It is foolish to take media reports on face value but it would appear Clarkson has got himself a $900k clear payout (without having to worry about any offsets against any other income he might earn next year).
If so, I’m inclined to believe that he will take full advantage of that and have a sabbatical next year. Fits in with his personal life balance well given his youngest is completing VCE next year.
Then I can see him taking care of the AFL’s problem child on the Gold Coast with a $600k salary to fit into their cap, but also a $1mill marketing allowance that will be excluded.
The AFL will be able to sell that to any restless GC players quite easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back