Discussion 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like Richmond has the best system subbing players in and out, but while their system keeps them competitive every week regardless of personal, it’s still the stars that get them over the line against the better sides.

I watch a bit of Richmond and I'd still say that their system is the best in footy. The players know what to do and a guy on the fringes knows it too. He can walk in and fill a hole that is so well drilled and obvious that he can play good enough to hold a spot. Richmond players stars don't shine as bright as they would at other clubs because they are so systems based. Riewoldt is nowhere near as exciting since they became a pro unit but they are a much better side. Same with Cotchin etc. Dusty can get off the chain because others can allow him the freedom to get off the chain without making a hole in the grid. It's team over individuals personified but allows some to be free to do the kill shot because of it's unity.

I dont think we had any other choice after the disastrous drafting until 2017. I just don't understand how it can be so wrong so consistently
Agree we had to do something - but that was on the back of a previous disastrous few years. In reality and retrospect is great, but we needed to come clean to members and rebuild. Trying to attract elite FA to bottom teams only results in overpaying shockingly for one or two players to bandaid a club for a couple of years.

Kangas have done the right thing. The coach is given 3-5yrs without pressure. They can hit the draft. This is why I don’t think they’ll chase Kelly or other big names just yet. They’ll need some experience when Cunners and Goldy go, but that’s just a couple of senior players traded in for nothing. Stabilises them for another year or two while building the kids.

I’m sorry, I look at Josh Bruce but see Basil Fawlty.

Me too

00Exgiu.jpg

25 years ago if you had told me we'd be the same level as Carlton in 2021and both teams would be trying to outdo each other each week, I'd have gleefully taken that as I never would have guessed what you'd meant.
It would probably mean we are both run by gangsters and paying our players in brown paper bags.

Reckon old mate Joel has copped one too many hits to the nogg… has absoluelty lost the plot.

THIS is the sh*t they need to be completely ruling out of the game, just like that pissweak stuff from Tom Lynch and Cotchin against us last year.

But in summary Selwood will get the official "he's a great warrior and ball player, insufficient force, no case to answer."

There is absolutely no reason to have your fingers in someones eyes off the play like that, should be an automatic 6 week suspension… what a filthy kent.

Nearly. Just 2 fines.

Live scenes from the Hawks Bombers game, two players contesting the ball and an essendon player gets a free kick.

"You have to be careful above the neck."

"No malice in it, but you do have to be careful. This is the expectation, the duty of care of players. You have to let him win that and become the tackler."

"The natural reaction is to go for the ball, but we know the situation, you have to look after your opponent's welfare, particularly the neck and head."

Had to laugh

Live scenes from the Hawks Bombers game, two players contesting the ball and an essendon player gets a free kick.

"You have to be careful above the neck."

"No malice in it, but you do have to be careful. This is the expectation, the duty of care of players. You have to let him win that and become the tackler."

"The natural reaction is to go for the ball, but we know the situation, you have to look after your opponent's welfare, particularly the neck and head."

Had to laugh
Yep, clearly you don’t need to be careful at all... just smash in like a kamakazie wrecking ball provided there is a ball in the vicinity... all G 👍

I watch a bit of Richmond and I'd still say that their system is the best in footy. The players know what to do and a guy on the fringes knows it too. He can walk in and fill a hole that is so well drilled and obvious that he can play good enough to hold a spot. Richmond players stars don't shine as bright as they would at other clubs because they are so systems based. Riewoldt is nowhere near as exciting since they became a pro unit but they are a much better side. Same with Cotchin etc. Dusty can get off the chain because others can allow him the freedom to get off the chain without making a hole in the grid. It's team over individuals personified but allows some to be free to do the kill shot because of it's unity.
What I like about Richmond players is that nearly all of them have speed on tap. When they have to get to a contest they do so. They have good hand and foot skills as well.

Just an anecdote. My daughter is just about to have her first child. I asked her her position on their child playing football.

A direct NO. She said that after the Clark decision she thinks it is clear the AFL is not serious in protecting the head.

Wonder how many other mothers will go down that path?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Hind just kicked a beautiful goal. Totally wrecked my mood :p (joking, joking)
It was a great goal

Think the commentary team have said 5 times he is recruit of the year

Just an anecdote. My daughter is just about to have her first child. I asked her her position on their child playing football.

A direct NO. She said that after the Clark decision she thinks it is clear the AFL is not serious in protecting the head.

I was thinking about that today. It's a really valid point that only a fool would dismiss.

Sorry; long time reader, first time poster.

Has anyone mentioned anything about Hind and how we gave him up for nothing and now we’re crap and have no good speed off the backline or any good players.
Oh Boy :huh:

First kids are always treated with cotton gloves. It's easy to want to say they won't be doing anything that might hurt them, but inevitably things change when they start to grow up and people realise their kids aren't made of glass.

Pretty much every mother I know treated their 2nd child completely different to their first, because they know they aren't fragile.

Last edited:
First kids are always treated with cotton gloves. It's easy to want to say they won't be doing anything that might hurt them, but inevitably things change when they start to grow up and people realise their kids aren't made of glass.

Pretty much every single mother I know treated their 2nd child completely different to their first, because they know they aren't fragile.

The fact is more is now known about the long term damage of head knocks.

If you think that that information isn't going to enter the thinking of parents when it comes to which sports their kids are encouraged to play, you're mistaken.

Our game will change. It's not if, but when.

Pretty much every single mother I know treated their 2nd child completely different to their first, because they know they aren't fragile.
How do single mums differ in this convo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back