List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Smith maybe.. but we need to move away from these sorts IMO
Interestingly on the couch Lyon said Yze told him smith Jordan weidamen Tomlinson were the guys who were going to drive this club to another flag ..
Amazing the amount of players in there side with 3 and less pre season and they all played a role .

Very sad, would have been one of the first I de-listed personally. Maybe Voss can mould him into a gun defensive wing but at current I can't see it.

This is very harsh IMO.

At 29 what you see is what you get with Jack. He's no star and that won't change next year but he's a better footballer than a lot of our supporters give him credit for.

Ticks a lot of boxes for what we need - experience, running ability, work ethic, disposal. We're not exactly bursting when it comes to options to play on a wing, and frankly right now he's better than pretty much every option we do have.

He's not someone you want in your best handful of players but he isn't that at Carlton. He's a veteran who has shown he can play and compete at the level, on a 1 year deal on modest money.

It's a pretty sound list management decision to keep him around for another year. Sure, there may not be upside there, but there's very little downside.

LOB, SPS, Kennedy, Parks, Ramsay, Honey, Boyd, McDonald, Gibbons, Owies, Cottrell
I can get some reasons why some are still unsigned, but the one I'd like to know why possibly still unsigned is Honey... The little I saw of him says he could be one of those 'powerful players' we may want... Is there still a lot of work to be done, and there could be better options available either by draft or trade?

I can get some reasons why some are still unsigned, but the one I'd like to know why possibly still unsigned is Honey... The little I saw of him says he could be one of those 'powerful players' we may want... Is there still a lot of work to be done, and there could be better options available either by draft or trade?

It's an interesting one. Hopefully it's as simple as we're waiting to see how many move around through the trade period, and therefore whether he's got a spot on the senior list or is kept on the rookie list for another season.

He's a rookie so might have to just hold and see whether we keep him on the rookie list or promote him. I'm sure he'll stay. Kennedy is the interesting one, I think he's a delisted free agent? Wouldn't put it past Adelaide or someone lacking midfield depth to make him a better offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Gov would be really effective in this role.

With Voss on board all roles will be reassessed including the “untouchables” , Plow amongst them. At Port he would have noticed Gray getting hold of him a bit too often. Can easily see Willo and Plow being in competition for the 7th defender on the bench. Kemp could also be in this battle, but hoping he’ll be battling for a winger/mid spot not the 3rd tall back role.
No doubt he has the traits, great burst/closing speed, but my main issue with him is he is lazy as shizer. The few games he played, he barely came up the ground until the game was all but over and we were in Damage control. Harry will come up the ground if he's not getting a touch and work his way back into the game but not Gov.
I doubt he'd work hard enough to be a good defender.

LOB, SPS, Kennedy, Parks, Ramsay, Honey, Boyd, McDonald, Gibbons, Owies, Cottrell

IMO, keep Kennedy, Honey, Owies.

Cut Parks, Gibbons, Cottrell, SPS.

Unsure on the others.

Gibbons and SPS are midfielders who want space and turnover cheap kicks. Neither of these fit the mould of Viney, Petracca, Oliver, Harmes, Brayshaw. They are both a long way off the doggies midfielders. Both SPS and Gibbons are Murphy clones. Just don’t want the softness, the lack of tackling, the lack of physicality, lack of defensive running. Not to mention, lack of speed and luck of winning 1 on 1 contests.

Plus we have another cat b spot free (if we want to pick up Akuei for example)

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app
There is absolutely no reason for Owies to be delisted as he can be retained as a Cat B rookie. He has shown that he can play a role at AFL level at a minimum.

Similarly, there is no reason to pass on Akuei as a Cat B prospect. Akuei is far and away the best eligible academy prospect.

Only way we pass on him is if there was someone better that can be added to a Cat B spot. This would have to be via the 3 year unregistered rule or picking an international athlete that would seemingly be a more raw prospect than Akuei.

From this position, we must go into next season with two Cat B players. We would simply lose these two list spots if we don't have these two on the list and run with 42 instead of 44. These are bonus spots on the list.

Depends what we want as a final list setup. Get the the feeling we may shift some players to the rookie list, which I believe reduces the number of Cat players you can have on the list
I thought the CatB rookies were completely independent of ‘normal’ rookies and the senior list… you can have up to 2 and it has no impact on the total number of players on the main (senior and rookie, but not catb) list.

I thought the CatB rookies were completely independent of ‘normal’ rookies and the senior list… you can have up to 2 and it has no impact on the total number of players on the main (senior and rookie, but not catb) list.

I believe it is dependent on overall list numbers, predominantly rookie list numbers

I may be wrong though

How do our players compare to the top end at Melbourne.

Jones - May ❌
Weitering - Lever ?
Saad - Salem ?
Stocker - Bowey ✔✔
Docherty - Hibberd ✔
Plowman - Petty ❌

our backline compares really well

TDK - Gawn ❌❌❌
Cripps - Viney ❌
Walsh - Oliver ?
Kennedy - Petracca ❌❌
Curnow - Brayshaw ?
O’Brien/Newnes - Langdon ❌

a lot of losses here. But TDK is getting better. Cripps had a poor year while Walsh will go past Oliver eventually. Add Cerra instead of Curnow and we will start to get closer to breaking even.

McKay - Brown ✔✔
Curnow - McDonald ❌
Honey - Pickett ❌❌
Owies - Fritsch ❌❌
Mcgovern - Harmes ?
Fisher - Neal-Bullen ❌

another loss overall but Curnow, honey and McGovern should improve next season. Fishers eat is better than Neal-Bullen but will we see it.

Melbourne’s bench consists of fit two way running role players and a second ruck. Players like Dow, Fogarty, Williams, Silvagni, Williamson and Gibbons are our equivalent which are better than Melbourne’s hands down. Silvagni probably harshly done by not starting over mcgovern/Newnes or Fisher.

our list management has a few holes for 2022. It can be fixed pretty easily in my opinion.

Number 1 - keeping our players on the field with full uninterrupted preseasons
Number 2 - adding Cerra, hewett and a second ruck
Number 3 - a proper game plan that stops exposing our strong backline.

The last one should have huge upsides in all three lines and make us a 5-6 goal better team.
Viney over Cripps? No thank you...

Curnow worse than McDonald, get ****ed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back