NFL 2021 NFL - Week 6

Remove this Banner Ad

NFLPA plans to petition NFL to release the rest of the WFT emails

Posted by Mike Florio on October 12, 2021, 2:53 PM EDT

In July, the NFL managed to conclude the Washington Football Team investigation and to conceal the specific results of it. Now, many have begun pushing for transparency in the WFT situation.

The events surrounding the resignation of Raiders coach Jon Gruden, sparked by the selective leaking of emails he sent to former Washington president Bruce Allen, have sparked a growing outcry for more (any) transparency on the question of the WFT investigation. The NFL Players Association has joined in that chorus.

“We have had communications with the league, and the NFLPA plans to request that the NFL release the rest of the emails,” NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith told Mike Jones of USA Today.

An NFL spokesperson told Jones that the league has “no current plans” to release the emails because “confidentiality was an element of the investigation into the Washington Football Team and workplace review.”

That’s fine. But why did the Gruden emails get out? The confidentiality already has failed, via the leaks to both the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. It’s a little too late to cite confidentiality, after the NFL already deliberately waived it when handing specific emails to two major media outlets.

#EmailGate ....

Plenty of people are nervous about the Bruce Allen emails

Posted by Mike Florio on October 12, 2021, 1:54 PM EDT

Many have said in the aftermath of Jon Gruden’s resignation that folks around the NFL are scrubbing their emails today. For some around the league, no amount of scrubbing will make a difference.

For those people, the damage is already done. For those people, the emails they sent to or received from former Washington executive Bruce Allen have become part of the 650,000 trove of documents that have been, but for a handful of Gruden emails, buried under a hundred yards of reinforced concrete.

The people who know Bruce Allen and who communicated with him during his time in Washington are nervous about what’s in there. About who else sent or received emails with racist, homophobic, transphobic, and/or misogynistic content. About whether they will be exposed, the same way Gruden was.

The right and fair outcome continues to be simple — release all of the Allen emails. Hell, release all 650,000 emails for full scrutiny. Selectively leaking (and the NFL definitely leaked selectively) the Gruden emails and then treating the rest of the emails like radioactive waste isn’t nearly good enough. Especially since, without current transparency, the NFL can simply dip into the cache of documents whenever it may choose in order to take action against someone who, for whatever reason, has landed on the NFL’s list of enemies or targets.

Look at what they did to Gruden. Leak one document, send “other materials” to the Raiders, and wait. Knowing what else was out there, Gruden foolishly (or stubbornly) didn’t quit. Knowing what else was out there, owner Mark Davis foolishly (or stubbornly) didn’t fire Gruden. So then the league leaked other documents, with the clear impression being that, if Gruden isn’t gone, still others will be leaked.

Others can find themselves in a similar predicament. Others may be approached about emails that haven’t yet been leaked, but with a request/suggestion that they quietly resign or retire or whatever now, or the emails will surface.

These emails become a powerful weapon, made even more powerful if they land in the wrong hands. The selective leaking of the emails proves that they’re already in the wrong hands. The only right thing to do, then, is to shine the light now. That brings out the truth, and it prevents the league from using the threat of disclosing the truth to manipulate others into doing whatever the league may want.

I know that’s a strong allegation. But, based on Gruden’s resignation and the circumstances surrounding it, it’s fair to conclude that the league already has done it once. If the emails aren’t released, nothing stops the league from doing it again.

Protecting the owners. Good point at the end, Jones would have skeletons in emails with Snyder, when Jones was angry with Goodell in 2017, led a push to have him removed.

Jerry Jones declines to comment on whether Jon Gruden should have lost his job

Posted by Mike Florio on October 12, 2021, 11:05 AM EDT

Every Tuesday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones talks about the happenings with his team and the league during a segment on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. This Tuesday, Jones was asked about the events leading to the resignation of Raiders coach Jon Gruden.

Jones, who usually has something to say about anything and everything, had not a whole lot to say about Gruden.

I know these people,” Jones said, via Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News. “I know everybody that you’ve been reading about. They’re outstanding proponents of our game. They have represented this game in many cases beautifully. And certainly, we will continue to recognize what a spotlight you’re in and the way that we should express ourselves. All of that comes to my mind.”
Jones also was asked whether Gruden deserved to lose his job.

“I don’t have anything I want to express there, one way or the other,” Jones said. “From the standpoint of contribution, I know that we are all accountable to even a, if you will, a fleeting or minor part of our actions. We are all accountable to those. But that’s about all I want to comment on it. We are talking about people here and even the ones that some of the comments were directed about. Those have been outstanding people in the NFL.”

It’s surprising that Jones didn’t have more to say. Given the strong condemnation that the NFL issued on Friday regarding Gruden’s email regarding NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith, it would be perfectly acceptable for Jones to make similar remarks.
But Jones possibly is protecting the broader Football Industrial Complex, where an attack on one is an attack on all.

And let’s be fully candid about it. Jones at some level has to be concerned about his 32 years in the NFL. The things he may have said. The things he may have done. The things that could come back to haunt him, especially if the NFL does the right thing and releases the full body of evidence developed during the Washington Football Team investigation.

Until we see all of the evidence, we don’t know and won’t know whether, for example, Jones and former Washington executive Bruce Allen exchanged emails. Or, for that matter, Jones and Snyder.

Indeed, when Jones was on a crusade to take down Commissioner Roger Goodell in 2017, Snyder was the only other owner who actively supported him. If it’s fair game to reveal things Gruden said to Allen about Goodell and others, it’s unfair and hypocritical to hide things that others in positions of power and influence said and did, to Allen or to anyone else with the Washington Football Team.

Got a long day tomorrow so won't be able to post.
Early Power Rankings before Week 6.
Bigger movements in the middle and lower ranks due to major personnel changes - Wilson, Gruden, Barkley.

Have at it.

Bucs defense is s**t right now. Youre just being silly now Samuel. Bills clear #1 Cards clear #2

With Wilson out for 6-8 weeks the Jamal Adams trade is looking even more of a disaster than it previously did, Jets could have two picks inside the top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m so excited to watch Geno Smith. He looked excellent under centre last Friday

He did look good, but the Rams played him incredibly soft with a lead. Could be a bit misleading.

Bucs defense is sh*t right now. Youre just being silly now Samuel. Bills clear #1 Cards clear #2

Doesn't matter if their offense is great. I agree they aren't far ahead of Buffalo or Arizona but it remains tight.

Just skimming the top 10 of samFFC's rankings - I still don't understand why the Bucs are top or why the 9ers are 10th

Re: TB
SB champs, gone 4-1 to start the year including beating the #6 Cowboys, two thumping wins, and only loss being against #4 Rams away from home.
Why wouldn't they be #1 or #2?

Re: SF
Technically 11th and that seems reasonable. I feel Lance has shown he is an upgrade and should be better week on week. Their D is legit.
Three close losses against strong teams. Should be 4-3 heading into home return leg against Arizona.

Brett Favre still hasn’t fully repaid Mississippi for his no-show gig

Posted by Mike Florio on October 13, 2021, 10:44 AM EDT

In May 2020, word surfaced that Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre had received a $1.1 million no-show gig from the state of Mississippi, with the funding coming from welfare programs. Favre quickly said he’d pay back the money, while also claiming that he never received money for work he didn’t perform.

Seventeen months later, Favre still hasn’t paid back all of the money.
Via Deadspin.com, Favre still hasn’t returned $828,000, a number that includes interest.

In May, Mississippi confirmed that Favre had not yet paid the money. It’s unclear where it goes from here. Could Mississippi take legal action against Favre? Or is Mississippi content to wait until the finally writes the check?

Regardless, it’s a bad look for Favre, an ironman during his playing career who has earned for himself another label. Deadbeat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back