2021 Non-Crows AFL Talk 2: are the VFL corrupt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the mistake of going to a power home Showdown once, and I never will again. It was straight up abuse the whole game, dropping C bombs, threatened to be stabbed if cheered too loud it was an awful experience. There were spot fire fights all over the place completely different vibe to our home games
Depends what generation of fan you get.

Just last week, i had 2 vastly different experiences.

The elder fans were quite respectful and you could have an intelligent conversation with them.
I even went and spoke with some friends in the cheersquad at 3/4 time and didn't feel unsafe even walking down there without a crow fan in sight. And some randoms I didnt know even joined in on the talk.

However, pre-game Im just walking from my seat to my friends' 5 bays over before doing the roof climb. And some of their youth get in your face (without masks now that I think about it) and start yelling trash at you.

And I've had bad experiences with Port fans prior too.

2017 - Me and my friends got there late. They went via the toilet and the bar. I went via the food stalls. I get there. And get in a huge ******* argument during play because some Port fans thought they'd try and steal some seats because they were vacant. The 3 who took our seats wouldnt be seen again, however, the 2-3 who had legitimate tickets were rude for the whole ******* game and antagonising the whole time. Here's an idea. Go where your ticket says. Not try and steal others.

That same incident happened on the weekend with my friends. They sat in their seats pre-game while the covid-nazis forced people to be in their seat to eat and drink just before the game we started our roofclimb, at 3/4 time the roof climb is done and they go back to their seats to see them occupied. So they had an arguement there. ANd the port fans occupying their seats made comments like "If they're yours, why havn't you been here until now"

In the 2nd showdown in 2008 - Upon leaving, I had Port fans leaning over the tunnel and spitting in our direction.

But in every incident I've been in or heard about. They'd all be from the era of the Power.

I have never seen anyone old enough to remember the Magpies to ever cause an issue. Infact, this subset of fans are probably some of the best I've ever come across. Problem is. These fans are becoming fewer and fewer every passing week.

But todays breed of Port fans (Those born in the 90s-present) are the worst fans I've ever come across. They have the arrogance of Hawthorn fans combined with the stupidity of Norwood fans. Worst possible combination I've come across.

Because when the moron who’s clearly acting like a moron gets hit there’s evidence of him acting like a moron. That said, the bloke should’ve just kept walking, who knows what was said.
I also hate when people just film it for their social media profile.

BE THE CHANGE

Depends what generation of fan you get.

Just last week, i had 2 vastly different experiences.

The elder fans were quite respectful and you could have an intelligent conversation with them.
I even went and spoke with some friends in the cheersquad at 3/4 time and didn't feel unsafe even walking down there without a crow fan in sight. And some randoms I didnt know even joined in on the talk.

However, pre-game Im just walking from my seat to my friends' 5 bays over before doing the roof climb. And some of their youth get in your face (without masks now that I think about it) and start yelling trash at you.

And I've had bad experiences with Port fans prior too.

2017 - Me and my friends got there late. They went via the toilet and the bar. I went via the food stalls. I get there. And get in a huge ******* argument during play because some Port fans thought they'd try and steal some seats because they were vacant. The 3 who took our seats wouldnt be seen again, however, the 2-3 who had legitimate tickets were rude for the whole ******* game and antagonising the whole time. Here's an idea. Go where your ticket says. Not try and steal others.

That same incident happened on the weekend with my friends. They sat in their seats pre-game while the covid-nazis forced people to be in their seat to eat and drink just before the game we started our roofclimb, at 3/4 time the roof climb is done and they go back to their seats to see them occupied. So they had an arguement there. ANd the port fans occupying their seats made comments like "If they're yours, why havn't you been here until now"

In the 2nd showdown in 2008 - Upon leaving, I had Port fans leaning over the tunnel and spitting in our direction.

But in every incident I've been in or heard about. They'd all be from the era of the Power.

I have never seen anyone old enough to remember the Magpies to ever cause an issue. Infact, this subset of fans are probably some of the best I've ever come across. Problem is. These fans are becoming fewer and fewer every passing week.

But todays breed of Port fans (Those born in the 90s-present) are the worst fans I've ever come across. They have the arrogance of Hawthorn fans combined with the stupidity of Norwood fans. Worst possible combination I've come across.
I’ve been to 2 port home showdowns in recent years
- Motlop one , copped abuse in my face just walking up the steps ... laughed at them and kept walking ! Funnily enough I’m there hand in hand walking up the steps with my wife who’s in her port guernsey 🙄

- Last week was 95% good people who now sit behind the tickets my wife has are quite nice good banter , even pulled a dickhead in like a few rows back who shouted “rip his eye out!!”As Sloane was tackled
I turn around to give him a mouthful, 2 port guys beat me to it “Oi, cut that no need for that s**t” 👏 👏
They were quite good asking about who some of our youngsters were eg. Thilthorpe and Sholl
Even shook my hand as I stood up to leave

The way it should be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wear it over a shirt. Im hoping my Mackay jumper will still be relevant when I’m 70
but honestly I think my footy shorts will be the issue at 70.
He'll still keep being selected ... after a breakout season, no less

mackay-2050-crows-b-jpg.643102

Drunk Port fan, mouthing off and antagonising someone else.
With someone not involved with any of them trying to tell him to pull his head in.
Literally asks to be hit.

Then gets hit.

I mean. I'm not one for violence. But there's obviously alot more to it than what's seen. Heck, why would someone have their phone out and focused on them before the incident?
He not only threw the first punch, he threw multiple punches. He was in no physical danger.

He will go to prison for this.

Im glad.

I made the mistake of going to a power home Showdown once, and I never will again. It was straight up abuse the whole game, dropping C bombs, threatened to be stabbed if cheered too loud it was an awful experience. There were spot fire fights all over the place completely different vibe to our home games

I went to a Port home showdown a few years ago and on the way to the Oval I had a glass bottle thrown at me by a group of Port Supporters hanging around the Torrens. They missed, pathetic.

I went to a Port home showdown a few years ago and on the way to the Oval I had a glass bottle thrown at me by a group of Port Supporters hanging around the Torrens. They missed, pathetic.

Bad eggs in all supporter groups. My uncle got a black eye from an Essendon fan had a game in Adelaide.

Personally I have never felt threatened or intimidated at Port games. Can think of other occasions SANFL, AFL and ALeague where I have.

I was pretty confused when we hosted Good Friday footy this year. I just found out Sir Doug Nicholls round is over 2 weeks this year.

Makes more sense now. Port Power have been big on hosting ANZAC round for years now and we always pushed for Doug Nicholls.

We get Good Friday and Doug Nicholls, they get ANZAC and Doug Nicholls.

I can't get my head around grown men wearing a footy jumper to a game as a spectator.

There is so much nice apparel these days in your club colours, not like the old days where you wore your duffel coat.

It makes me think of the bike riders who look like tryhard w***ers with their "sponsored" lycra outfits riding to the cafe on the weekend.
A sleeveless footy jumper I'll agree with you. Put the guns away please

Long sleeves or over another shirt is ok imho

I was pretty confused when we hosted Good Friday footy this year. I just found out Sir Doug Nicholls round is over 2 weeks this year.

Makes more sense now. Port Power have been big on hosting ANZAC round for years now and we always pushed for Doug Nicholls.

We get Good Friday and Doug Nicholls, they get ANZAC and Doug Nicholls.
To honest they should not get every ANZAC day match, it should be one for one.

I don't drink tea or use a thermos so this doesn't apply

I am 34 I drink tea sometimes in a thermos (think this weekend walking around St Kilda) and I wear my old footy guernsey when I go to games (with a long sleeve top underneath). I am not male and don’t quite have a beer belly ... yet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back