2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the games, when they start, live up to our dreams and expectations!! :p

I have also always been strongly of the belief that our best kicking midfielders or player who can play midfield should be played in a position where they are kicking the ball into the forward 50. I know some people will say kicking out of defence is the more important kick but I disagree. We need to take full advantage of every forward 50 and in an ideal world one of Dawson, Campbell or Blakey will be kicking the ball into the forward 50 most of the time as they are very good at it.

It is pointless even having a forward 50 entry if the person kicking it forward is a kick and hope player.

I have also always been strongly of the belief that our best kicking midfielders or player who can play midfield should be played in a position where they are kicking the ball into the forward 50. I know some people will say kicking out of defence is the more important kick but I disagree. We need to take full advantage of every forward 50 and in an ideal world one of Dawson, Campbell or Blakey will be kicking the ball into the forward 50 most of the time as they are very good at it.

It is pointless even having a forward 50 entry if the person kicking it forward is a kick and hope player.
I agree with you and I see the logic. Hopefully this will be happening soon all over the park. It was good to see us move the ball quickly, especially through the corridor, in the second half of last year.

Gulden, Ronke, Wicks.
Wicks' pressure was really good last year.
Im not underestimating Ronke. I reckon if a couple of things go his way, he could turn into something special. - could just as easily go the other way too. But the Swans see something that most on here dont and gave him another contract ahead of Foote and others.
Gulden?? where and when he plays, Ive no idea?
The second small forward is a predominantly defensive/pressure role. I rate Wicks as the best bet AT THIS TIME.
Ronke's pressure dropped off quite a lot, which saw him out of the team. AT THIS TIME I think he's the guy with something to prove.
Gulden could make a mad dash in training and preseason but I get the feeling his future might be in the mids.
The fellow not mentioned here is Hayward. There was a lot of investment last season in increasing his pressure. He's not that small, but he's been played there a fair bit.
Also, does McDonald have a role to play as a third tall? If so, who gives way?
My preferred forward line is:
Heeney Franklin Hayward
Papley Reid Wicks
With mids e.g. Parker rotating through.
If McDonald is played I would drop Hayward but I suspect it would be Wicks.
If Buddy isn't fit I reckon:
Heeney Reid Hayward
Papley McDonald Wicks
Or McLean instead of McDonald.
Interesting!

The second small forward is a predominantly defensive/pressure role. I rate Wicks as the best bet AT THIS TIME.
Ronke's pressure dropped off quite a lot, which saw him out of the team. AT THIS TIME I think he's the guy with something to prove.
Gulden could make a mad dash in training and preseason but I get the feeling his future might be in the mids.
The fellow not mentioned here is Hayward. There was a lot of investment last season in increasing his pressure. He's not that small, but he's been played there a fair bit.
Also, does McDonald have a role to play as a third tall? If so, who gives way?
My preferred forward line is:
Heeney Franklin Hayward
Papley Reid Wicks
With mids e.g. Parker rotating through.
If McDonald is played I would drop Hayward but I suspect it would be Wicks.
If Buddy isn't fit I reckon:
Heeney Reid Hayward
Papley McDonald Wicks
Or McLean instead of McDonald.
Interesting!
My thoughts exactly!! I think with 2 talls, then Heeney would be a hard match up as a third tall. Could get off the leash if he predominately plays there. I suspect he will relieve through the mids as well. I hope he at least plays 75% forward. Too good a high contested mark. I remember his first season when that was his position and he looked a superstar.
Papley picks himself. I hope Wicks has a big preseason and holds his place. Applied lots of pressure forward and got on the scoreboard. It will sure show our depth in small forwards if so.
I agree re Ronke. Is not consistent. Not always in the game. Has his moments though. But that is not the role of a small forward.
I hope McLean comes on. Buddy and Reid have 2 more years. McDonald has one of those positions in the future you would think.
The third small(medium) forward on paper would be Hayward. But with Gulden, Ronke, Wicks, and maybe Campbell, Parker rotating through its interesting times.

Stephens is going to be a lot better as soon as he realises he can run.

Sounds dumb, but watching him last year was tough, you could see him being unsure when he got the ball. Not his fault, he's only 18-19, it'll come.

As soon as he starts running and realising how much space his speed gives him he'll look way better.

Stephens is going to be a lot better as soon as he realises he can run.

Sounds dumb, but watching him last year was tough, you could see him being unsure when he got the ball. Not his fault, he's only 18-19, it'll come.

As soon as he starts running and realising how much space his speed gives him he'll look way better.

Jetta had the same problem early on. He just wasn't brave enough to take the game on but when he became brave enough his output improved significantly.

Ronke stinks.
I don’t see hewett as best 22 either. He’s a battler.
There will be significant change to the side if we want to climb the ladder. We won’t be selecting the same teams the had us finished 3rd bottom.

Ronke stinks.
There will be significant change to the side if we want to climb the ladder. We won’t be selecting the same teams the had us finished 3rd bottom.

Then you are in for a rude shock. Because the two main reasons we finished 3rd bottom is because of the 'same old' names like Buddy, Heeney, Rampe, and yes, Hewett, missing portions of the season, and they will all be back.

And because most of those that were part of the team were young players lacking size, strength, fitness, experience and consistency. And most of them will be in the team again this year.

Ronke stinks.
Ronke is a fringe player, certainly best 28, which is hardly stinking.
Hewett finished 2nd in the Skilton 2019 behind Rampe and ahead of Parker. Clearly the coaches rate him.
As Caesar pointed out, there were a few missing from our team who would have been handy.

Then you are in for a rude shock. Because the two main reasons we finished 3rd bottom is because of the 'same old' names like Buddy, Heeney, Rampe, and yes, Hewett, missing portions of the season, and they will all be back.

And because most of those that were part of the team were young players lacking size, strength, fitness, experience and consistency. And most of them will be in the team again this year.
Don’t think I’m in for any shock tbh. You’ve taken my comment well out of context.

Ronke has certainly shown that he is capable of influencing games as t the highest level. His first season had a few great performances and his speed and goal sense were both really good. What happened in his second year!?
Ronke stinks.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Full Back
Fox​
Rampe​
Lloyd​
Half Back
Cunningham​
Melican​
Mills​
Midfield
Dawson​
Kennedy​
McInerney​
Half Forward
Heeney​
McCartin​
Hayward​
Full Forward
Papley​
Franklin​
McLean​
Followers
Hickey​
Parker​
Rowbottom​
Interchange
Sinclair​
Blakey​
Florent​
Stephens​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think I’m in for any shock tbh. You’ve taken my comment well out of context.

How so? You stated that we wouldn't be selecting the same team that led to us finishing bottom four, and that there would be "significant change". I replied that bringing in established players who missed last year (Buddy, Heeney, Hewett) and continuing to play the kids whose youth cost us at times last year (McCartin, Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Stephens) won't amount to the significant change that you referred to.

Unless I read it wrong?

How so? You stated that we wouldn't be selecting the same team that led to us finishing bottom four, and that there would be "significant change". I replied that bringing in established players who missed last year (Buddy, Heeney, Hewett) and continuing to play the kids whose youth cost us at times last year (McCartin, Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Stephens) won't amount to the significant change that you referred to.

Unless I read it wrong?
I said there will be significant changes, And mentioned 2 players I didn’t rate. I am right there will be changes. You’ve decided to interpret what those significant changes are. That’s how you’ve taken it out of context.

B: Dane Rampe, Lewis Melican, Callum Mills

HB: Jordan Dawson, Tom McCartin, Jake Lloyd

C: Nick Blakey, Luke Parker, Ollie Florent

HF: Isaac Heeney, Lance Franklin, Will Hayward

F: Tom Papley, Callum Sinclair, Logan McDonald

FOLL: Tom Hickey, Josh Kennedy, James Rowbottom

I/C: Dylan Stephens, Harry Cunningham, Justin McInerney, George Hewett

That's my stab at it. I think Braeden Campbell won't take long to see senior footy but I don't know if I'd throw him in first round. Logan McDonald has at least played seniors in the WAFL and held his own so I think he'd be a more realistic chance of a Round 1 debut.

Cal Sinclair is an interesting one. Hickey will obviously play first ruck but I think Cal would be useful playing deep forward and maybe clunking a few and relieving in the ruck.

F: Tom Papley, Callum Sinclair, Logan McDonald

That's my stab at it. I think Braeden Campbell won't take long to see senior footy but I don't know if I'd throw him in first round. Logan McDonald has at least played seniors in the WAFL and held his own so I think he'd be a more realistic chance of a Round 1 debut.

Cal Sinclair is an interesting one. Hickey will obviously play first ruck but I think Cal would be useful playing deep forward and maybe clunking a few and relieving in the ruck.
Not disagreeing totally with the last para but at the moment I think the club has 2 roads to choose from:
1) One ruck (Hickey OR Sinclair) plus a cut out (Reid OR McLean).
2) Two rucks (from Hickey, Sinclair, Amartey, possibly McLean).
Of course Sinkers can act as a cut out, as you suggest.
Last season we had no choice - one ruck or none.
At this stage I would bet on Hickey plus Reid if Buddy is fit. If he isn't I reckon we bring in Sinkers or McLean to play FF and Reid plays CHF all game.
McDonald is too slight to cut out in the ruck. If he plays, it will be separate to this question.
Can't wait for the preseason games to see which way we go.

Can’t play Sinclair in the forward line IMO , he is finished as a forward backup tuck
Needs to ruck all game

can’t play both him and hicky
Reid needs to 2nd Ruck

mcdonald will play straight up
I've always defended Sam Reid but have lost some faith in him, probably unfairly. The general consensus is that he's never realised his full potential but he's been a pretty reliable utility player for us and plugged a lot of holes when asked. On reflection, based on his versatility, I'd agree playing him ahead of Sinclair if (the biggest if in the squad) Buddy is fit to play.

Sinkers is depth then.

F: Tom Papley, Sam Reid, Logan McDonald

I really want McCartin and Melican to form a quality KPD combo so that Rampe can play loose like he did in his AA year. He's been playing on too many oversized opponents for too long and he's best when he can be creative and rebound. McCartin is an interesting proposition. Looked pretty bloody good as a CHB so I'm on the bandwagon for continuing to develop him there.

B: Rampe - Melican - Lloyd
HB: Mills - McCartin - Dawson (Fox)
C: Stephens - L.Parker - B.Campbell* (Cunningham)
HF: Florent - Buddy - Hayward
F: Papley - L.Mcdonald - Sinclair (Blakey)
R: Hickey - JPK - Heeney (Rowbottom)

Gould and Ronke Unlucky next in line for any fwds/defs missing

I think Heeney might play a Petracca/Dusty role next year. Start CBAs and run around a bit inside before moving forward where Florent comes up as the onballer

* Not sure how many games B.Campbell played in 2020 but ive been saying it with all non playing kids that have just been drafted no matter how high. Theyve not played a game in 15-18 months and then do 3 months of AFL training and play round 1 i think most will be very cautious with this and give the kids that didnt play another month of training and some 2s games before debuting in rounds 4-6

Along time out of the playong arena to then step up to AFL after very limited training times with the delays.

Unsure if he played a few games? If he did then i can see him a chance for round 1

heard logan mcdonalds brother could be an even better than forward than he is. hope we look at recruiting him.

logan at full forward and ronald at centre half forward is a dream combination

Not sure to be honest. I have seen photos of Ronald and while he is tall he doesn't seem to have the frame that would suggest he is going to put on a lot of muscle. I strongly suspect at an AFL level he will be found out as he will get pushed off the ball too easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back