2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The disrespect on JPK by some fans in unbelievable, if he did take a step back last season it was a bloody small step if any. I think some people see his age and automatically assume he's done...

At the club in 2020 he was:
3rd in ave. disposals (behind Lloyd and Parker)
2nd in ave. contested possessions (behind Parker)
2nd in ave. pressure acts (behind Parker)
2nd in ave. ground ball gets (behind Parker) (Hewett had 0.1 more than JPK, but only played 6 games)
4th in ave. score involvements (behind, Papley, Heeney and Parker)
2nd in ave. centre clearances (behind Parker)
1st in ave. stoppage clearances
1st in ave. tackles

Easily one of our top 3 best players

All true. But we have to improve our clearances and delivery into the forward 50 if we’re to become leaders in the competition again. Shouldn’t we be comparing our mids’ performances with our opponents rather than their teammates?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

All true. But we have to improve our clearances and delivery into the forward 50 if we’re to become leaders in the competition again. Shouldn’t we be comparing our mids’ performances with our opponents rather than their teammates?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
The point of me comparing amongst teammates is to show how important he is to this squad, some fans want him to retire and play in the reserves this season, it makes no sense. We do have to improve those aspect of our game but is JPK really the one letting us down in that department?

B: Ling Rampe Cunningham
HB: Dawson McCartin Lloyd
C: Rowbottom Florent Blakey
R: Hickey Mills Stephens
HF: Parker Reid Hayward
F: Papley Heeney Gulden

I/C: Hewett Campbell JPK Sinclair

Can’t see Logan McD starting out best 22 - but having said that, Reid & Sinclair as our key forwards ain’t inspiring, so maybe Horse does stick him in early (or parks Heeney at FF, as I suspect he might).

Those who think the Swans don’t rate Florent, Hayward or Hewett as best 22 are dreamin’.

If Hewett isn’t quite ready, Clarke gets a guernsey on the bench.

Melican is borderline. As is Brand. Suspect they’ll prefer Ling if Rampe and McC are both fit.

Wicks, McI and Warner likely to come in if we have a few injuries & need depth.

If Bell appears - we’re in real strife.

Last edited:

I'd like to see Kennedy as the fourth or fifth mid in the pecking order this year. I think it would be best for Kennedy's individual game, Kennedy's longevity, the individual games of the youngsters, and the team overall.

Ps. Fourth or fifth in the pecking order still absolutely means best 22 every day of the week.

I do remember your post where you said you thought he would be first to debut. I thought it strange at the time. I am not carried away by early season form, but his form has a history of exceeding continually despite his size. I am looking forward to seeing him play in 1sts and 2nds this year. An exciting player.
What has size, get to do with it? Caleb Daniel is the same size and the best back pocket on the game.

You are sizest

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Melican is a no-doubt starter for round 1 imo. The club clearly rate him highly and have been trying to pump games into him for a few years now. I think they see him and McCartin as the long-term defensive pillars with Rampe starting to transition into more of a third tall/interceptor role.

Plus he played a good game against GWS last weekend, so I think we can consider him a certain round 1 selection at FB. That means the starting back 6 as I see it is fairly locked in:

B: Cunningham - Melican - Rampe
HB: Dawson - McCartin - Lloyd

The 7th defender then comes down to Campbell, Ling and Fox imo. I imagine when push comes to shove, they'll pick Campbell over the other two. Fox played a great 2nd half of 2020 in particular but that was in Rampe's absence largely. With Rampe back, he's less essential (I don't relish saying that because I do really like Fox). I think ultimately they'll want to start Campbell ASAP to get his speed and left boot in the side to start his progression.

You're not including any of McDonald, Sinclair or McLean? I'm not convinced by a forward duo of Heeney & Reid. I feel they need another tall there.

I like the rest of your calls, though unsure Campbell gets a game with both Fox & Ling in the side as rebounding defenders/flankers.

Hewett not playing on the weekend may be precautionary and not indicative of any fitness concerns. Rampe said he had a slight niggle which kept him out of it but he was confident he'd be back in the team for next week. The same could be true of the other 'established' guys who didn't play, like Hewett, Cunningham and Stephens. None were mentioned in the most recent injury report, so fingers crossed!

I think ideally you would have another tall. McLean didn’t play in the main game on Saturday so not him. I don’t think we can go with Sinclair due to mobility etc. Leaves McDonald who may impress this week but that makes a very young side. Heeney and Hayward can both play tall up forward with more tricks. When Reid is relieving in the ruck Dawson or Fox can play forward (that’s why I like Fox’s versatility).

If McDonald is ready I guess you play him but I’m not convinced that he is. If he does play, it might be at the expense of Campbell.

I'd like to see Kennedy as the fourth or fifth mid in the pecking order this year. I think it would be best for Kennedy's individual game, Kennedy's longevity, the individual games of the youngsters, and the team overall.

Ps. Fourth or fifth in the pecking order still absolutely means best 22 every day of the week.
Hard disagree, he's still one of our best two mids, way too influential in games to lower in the pecking order. The kids around him need to step up and earn his spot, not be gifted it.

Hard disagree, he's still one of our best two mids, way too influential in games to lower in the pecking order. The kids around him need to step up and earn his spot, not be gifted it.

They'll never earn his spot if they are in roles peripheral to his though. It makes more sense to give them that opportunity while they still have JPK around to support them and pick up their slack. Hard reality is we're rebuilding, and if we want to regenerate our midfield, the transition from JPK to his heir will be a lot smoother if we do it while JPK is still around.

They'll never earn his spot if they are in roles peripheral to his though. It makes more sense to give them that opportunity while they still have JPK around to support them and pick up their slack. Hard reality is we're rebuilding, and if we want to regenerate our midfield, the transition from JPK to his heir will be a lot smoother if we do it while JPK is still around.
Fearless prediction: this will be a breakout year for Stephens & by mid-season he, Rowbottom, JPK & Florent will be our engine room, with Parker spending more time across half forward.

B: Ling Rampe Cunningham
HB: Dawson McCartin Lloyd
C: Rowbottom Florent Blakey
R: Hickey Mills Stephens
HF: Parker Reid Hayward
F: Papley Heeney Gulden

I/C: Hewett Campbell JPK Sinclair

Can’t see Logan McD starting out best 22 - but having said that, Reid & Sinclair as our key forwards ain’t inspiring, so maybe Horse does stick him in early (or parks Heeney at FF, as I suspect he might).

Those who think the Swans don’t rate Florent, Hayward or Hewett as best 22 are dreamin’.

If Hewett isn’t quite ready, Clarke gets a guernsey on the bench.

Melican is borderline. As is Brand. Suspect they’ll prefer Ling if Rampe and McC are both fit.

Wicks, McI and Warner likely to come in if we have a few injuries & need depth.

If Bell appears - we’re in real strife.
Especially against Brisbane we will need Melican's bigger body vs Daniher and Hipwood etc.
Gulden could start but I think Wicks has runs in the board and is the more likely call if McDonald is not chosen.
No way is Campbell hard enough yet to start. I hear Fox is injured so it would be between Gould and COR.

Fearless prediction: this will be a breakout year for Stephens & by mid-season he, Rowbottom, JPK & Florent will be our engine room, with Parker spending more time across half forward.

Fearless prediction or wish? ;)

I reckon Mills & Hewett would have something to say about it though!

I understand your point, but JPK is still one of the best in the comp and you don't limit your best players, if he was showing genuine signs of ageing (which he hasn't), then i'd agree with you, the kids' will get their opportunities

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand your point, but JPK is still one of the best in the comp and you don't limit your best players, if he was showing genuine signs of ageing (which he hasn't), then i'd agree with you, the kids' will get their opportunities

I think you do limit your best players if you're rebuilding. Otherwise you're not making any progress. Fremantle played Fyfe forward at times last year so that Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong could have more midfield opportunities. We have a handful of younger mids - Mills, Hewett, Florent, Rowbottom, Stephens - we should be giving substantial rotations to in order to develop our future midfield. At least a few of those guys will miss out on those opportunities if the midfield continues to revolve around JPK & Parker, both of whom are more unlikely than likely to feature in our next premiership's midfield.

Rowbottom, Stephens and maybe Florent I can understand the reluctance to give full responsibility to. They are kids who can't put in four quarter performances yet. I see no such problem with Mills & Hewett, who are 23 and 25, and will both tick over 100 games this year. They're at the perfect stage in their careers to assume leadership of the midfield and start trying to build chemistry that will hopefully last the better part of the next decade.

I think you do limit your best players if you're rebuilding. Otherwise you're not making any progress. Fremantle played Fyfe forward at times last year so that Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong could have more midfield opportunities. We have a handful of younger mids - Mills, Hewett, Florent, Rowbottom, Stephens - we should be giving substantial rotations to in order to develop our future midfield. At least a few of those guys will miss out on those opportunities if the midfield continues to revolve around JPK & Parker, both of whom are more unlikely than likely to feature in our next premiership's midfield.

Rowbottom, Stephens and maybe Florent I can understand the reluctance to give full responsibility to. They are kids who can't put in four quarter performances yet. I see no such problem with Mills & Hewett, who are 23 and 25, and will both tick over 100 games this year. They're at the perfect stage in their careers to assume leadership of the midfield and start trying to build chemistry that will hopefully last the better part of the next decade.

I like this post to an extent. I just wouldn't have Parker and Kennedy in there at the same time. Both have the ability to play as a forward as they have shown in the past. Have them as a Mid/Fwd swap. That gives one of them the Bull role in the middle, whilst allowing two spots each centre bounce at the very minimum. You find most midfield/fwds play about 80-85% of the game, there wouldn't be any harm in going 40%/40% those two in there. Heeney probably maybe plays the other 20% in there as a bigger body for that one slot.

You then have two centre slots to be rotated amongst the other mids.

What has size, get to do with it? Caleb Daniel is the same size and the best back pocket on the game.

You are sizest

I will reply to this in two ways
1. If you are joking then I will lol
2. If you are serious, then I will say he has been judged on his size by others, not me. I always judge players on performance.

Melican is a no-doubt starter for round 1 imo. The club clearly rate him highly and have been trying to pump games into him for a few years now. I think they see him and McCartin as the long-term defensive pillars with Rampe starting to transition into more of a third tall/interceptor role.

Plus he played a good game against GWS last weekend, so I think we can consider him a certain round 1 selection at FB. That means the starting back 6 as I see it is fairly locked in:

B: Cunningham - Melican - Rampe
HB: Dawson - McCartin - Lloyd

The 7th defender then comes down to Campbell, Ling and Fox imo. I imagine when push comes to shove, they'll pick Campbell over the other two. Fox played a great 2nd half of 2020 in particular but that was in Rampe's absence largely. With Rampe back, he's less essential (I don't relish saying that because I do really like Fox). I think ultimately they'll want to start Campbell ASAP to get his speed and left boot in the side to start his progression.
I think Melican works best as the second banana. If he has defined responsibilities he is fine, McCartin to me is the number one banana in the talls. He organises, runs of his man to assist or kill a ball.

I think we have different philosophies of player development tbh, also I'm fairly sure Fyfe was battling injuries for the majority if not all of the season, they'd also throw him forward when they we're struggling to score. Mills in the middle alone already relieves pressure off JPK (and Parker), I think both of them alongside Parker makes our midfield much better than last season already, it's important that we do try to win games as well, the kids need to experience winning mentality so that they understand what the required level is, otherwise you end up the way Carlton does, continuously blooding top pick after top pick and still losing year in year out. I do get what you're saying, and it is the right thing to do at a certain point, I just don't we are ready for that just yet, maybe next year or towards the end of the season if finals is out of the question.

I think we have different philosophies of player development tbh, also I'm fairly sure Fyfe was battling injuries for the majority if not all of the season, they'd also throw him forward when they we're struggling to score. Mills in the middle alone already relieves pressure off JPK (and Parker), I think both of them alongside Parker makes our midfield much better than last season already, it's important that we do try to win games as well, the kids need to experience winning mentality so that they understand what the required level is, otherwise you end up the way Carlton does, continuously blooding top pick after top pick and still losing year in year out. I do get what you're saying, and it is the right thing to do at a certain point, I just don't we are ready for that just yet, maybe next year or towards the end of the season if finals is out of the question.
Fair enough. To each their own!

You are sizest

Poor Gulden getting smashed all his life about being the shortie will be hurt by this!!

Gulden is edging 176cm (like 175.9 or something). Daniel is 168cm.

I will reply to this in two ways
1. If you are joking then I will lol
2. If you are serious, then I will say he has been judged on his size by others, not me. I always judge players on performance.

If you judge players on performance then why bother mentioning size. I don't because I think it irrelevant. If he can do the job, and he can, he should be judged on that alone.

I think Fox's injury will benefit Campbell the most. I have a feeling Ling would've been in the best 22 with or without Fox, as he's more of a small, lockdown defender, while Fox's absence leaves a spot open for a rebounder off half back. Campbell may only need to show just "signs" in this weekend's match to secure that spot, and we may end up seeing all three of last year's top draftees debuting round 1 after all!

I think Fox's injury will benefit Campbell the most. I have a feeling Ling would've been in the best 22 with or without Fox, as he's more of a small, lockdown defender, while Fox's absence leaves a spot open for a rebounder off half back. Campbell may only need to show just "signs" in this weekend's match to secure that spot, and we may end up seeing all three of last year's top draftees debuting round 1 after all!

So are you suggesting Campbell Tonya Harding'ed Fox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back