News 2021 Trade/Free Agent News and reported targets Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is not to discuss current Hawthorn players and whether they’re tradeable, who they're linked to or what you think they’re worth.

This thread is about our Trade targets at other clubs that are linked to us via media(not facebook pages).

Reminder, we are also not thinking up trade hypotheticals of how you would get it done in here, or asking what these players we are linked to are worth.

I think we have our own, with Sam, he expects Newcombe to really become as good as him, hopefully surpass him.
That’s not necessarily immediate though, plus we need more mids.

That’s not necessarily immediate though, plus we need more mids.

specifically we need more outside mids/linking mids

are there any FA/on the market we could grab in the vein of Crouch/Dunstan etc. (cheap?)

obviously there's Cerra but he wont be 'more' mids as it seems likely we'll need to trade out a mid (be it pick 5 or titch) to get our hands on him

Would like to trade in at least one mid reinforcement, whether that be a genuine gun or just a player looking for more opportunity.

Then select at least 2-3 mids with our selections inside the top 25.

That's if Titch goes. Acquiring a mid from an opposition side doesn't feel as urgent with Mitchell still there.

If Tom leaves I don't see why we need to replace him with a mature pickup, part of the issue with our midfield has been it's too similar and Worpel has been stuck behind Mitchell and O'Meara playing a periphery role. He won a B&F at 20, without Mitchell in the team.

Between Wingard, Worpel, O'Meara, Newcombe, Nash, Shiels (even as depth) I think we are OK. Three young developing mids, with Wingard and O'Meara.

I also think we will see Bramble spend time in the middle, as he did under Sam at Box Hill.... Moore seems capable of spending some time here too, like a Lambert.

It's likely our first pick in the draft will be a mid with upside, that we might look to get games into early next year. Finn is also in the wings, if he can put it together.

I just don't see any benefit, if Tom leaves, to bringing in a Crouch, Dunstan or similar type. We have some young mids we need to get games into, we will draft some promising mids, and we have Shiels and at this stage Howe capable of providing depth here.

Different story if we would be replacing Tom with a young talented mid like Cerra or a 25 year old A grader.

No stop gaps.

Last edited:
If Tom leaves I don't see why we need to replace him with a mature pickup, part of the issue with our midfield has been it's too similar and Worpel has been stuck behind Mitchell and O'Meara playing a periphery role. He won a B&F at 20, without Mitchell in the team.

Between Wingard, Worpel, O'Meara, Newcombe, Nash, Shiels (even as depth) I think we are OK. Three young developing mids, with Wingard and O'Meara.

I also think we will see Bramble spend time in the middle, as he did under Sam at Box Hill.... Moore seems capable of spending some time here too, like a Lambert.

It's likely our first pick in the draft will be a mid with upside, that we might look to get games into early next year. Finn is also in the wings, if he can put it together.

I just don't see any benefit, if Tom leaves, to bringing in a Crouch, Dunstan or similar type. We have some young mids we need to get games into, we will draft some promising mids, and we have Shiels and at this stage Howe capable of providing depth here.

Different story if we would be replacing Tom with a young talented mid like Cerra or a 25 year old A grader.

No stop gaps.

Howe is the one I keep forgetting about. If he stays with us I guess there is no reason why he couldn't go inside and take over from Titch if Titch was to leave. In career best form and that doesn't look like slowing down now he has the confidence and is hitting the age most players peak at in their careers.

No stop gaps.

Totally agree. Worpel takes Mitchell’s role and we bring in more kids with pace that can spread and can kick.
We have enough contested ball winners with Worps, Jaeger, Nash, Newk, Sheils, Howe etc. need more Wingards and Brambles running through there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Mitchell was a genius with ball in hand. I don't think that's overstating it.

There haven't been many players in the history of the game with Sam's combination of vision, poise and hand and footskills

If Duke can be something even approximating that, I'll be delighted. To expect him to be as good or even better???...I'm not sure how anyone could reliably predict this.

Sam Mitchell was a genius with ball in hand. I don't think that's overstating it.

There haven't been many players in the history of the game with Sam's combination of vision, poise and hand and footskills

If Duke can be something even approximating that, I'll be delighted. To expect him to be as good or even better???...I'm not sure how anyone could reliably predict this.
Pointless comparing players but one thing the duke has is vision, seriously elite for a first year player.

I'm 35 years of age and Sam is the best footballer I've seen in Brown & Gold outside of Buddy... who is arguably the best player of the 2000s.

They are not numbers from Cerra that demand 750k per season. If a club chooses to pay that good luck to them. I'll keep saying it you can always find mids. Talls and match winners are the ones to pay the big bucks. Cerra ain't a match winner.

They are not numbers from Cerra that demand 750k per season. If a club chooses to pay that good luck to them. I'll keep saying it you can always find mids. Talls and match winners are the ones to pay the big bucks. Cerra ain't a match winner.

Completely agree, I think he'll flitter between B+/A but never be someone that you would build your midfield rotations around.

Of the dynasty teams we've seen over the last 20 years, he'd be the equivelant of a 3rd or 4th best midfielder - think James Kelly, Dal Santo, Jordan Lewis.
All very good players, but more than a run below Selwood, Lenny Hayes or Sam Mitchell.

Surely 750 is designed to ether get him to stay when he doesnt want to or to get maximum trade for him when he does

Surely 750 is designed to ether get him to stay when he doesnt want to or to get maximum trade for him when he does
Good point.
If he's 100% going then you can set the context for negotiations with another club by anchoring 'reality' in your favour

Is $750k what he’s asking or what dockers have offered?

If he’s desperate to come home I’m sure he’d cop $650k to play in Melbourne rather than $750k to stay in Perth.
Apparently it's what purples offered, that he refused

Gee, cerra this cerra that, spoken about more in the off season than during and he's almost as good as Luke Hodge by to he end of it!!
We have ONE top 10 Draft hand, so let's go drafting a young gun and not worry about overpaying a player who doesn't see us as his preferred choice.

Gee, cerra this cerra that, spoken about more in the off season than during and he's almost as good as Luke Hodge by to he end of it!!
We have ONE top 10 Draft hand, so let's go drafting a young gun and not worry about overpaying a player who doesn't see us as his preferred choice.
He hasn't nominated a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back