List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small forward ready to play would be great also, but you can always sniff around and find those at the right price

We'll likely add Horne and pick 20 and it's worth remembering we're playing without our best physical midfielder in Anderson and we've also often got kids in there. That's a problem from here that will be fixed with development and time and pre-seasons, not more drafting post-2021.

So then future 1st is spent on Harry and we're back in the middle of the ladder. Are you sure we have enough talent to win flags with just McKay and Horne (if we even finish last)? The spine would be in fairly good shape, but ruck, small forward/s and defenders? Not to mention it could be pick 1 or 2 given up, so a potential Thilthorpe or JUH type who to me are significantly more talented.

While i think it was somewhat of an oversight, media heads ( cant remember who) discussed the best young key forwards in the comp. McKay was not even mentioned. Seems odd he isnt even at the forefront of these guys minds yet many on here are prepared to totally risk our rebuild AND future salary cap for McKay.

Small forward ready to play would be great also, but you can always sniff around and find those at the right price
Yep. Watching Pickett on the weekend, I thought, damn, what would I give to get us one of those. Not only because we need one to be a better football team but they also add some of that intangible energy and excitement among the supporters and media and teammates and so on.

Yep. Watching Pickett on the weekend, I thought, damn, what would I give to get us one of those. Not only because we need one to be a better football team but they also add some of that intangible energy and excitement among the supporters and media and teammates and so on.
One of those rare trades were both clubs came out winners. Kozzy would be great for us but Powell looks an out and out star.

So then future 1st is spent on Harry and we're back in the middle of the ladder. Are you sure we have enough talent to win flags with just McKay and Horne (if we even finish last)? The spine would be in fairly good shape, but ruck, small forward/s and defenders? Not to mention it could be pick 1 or 2 given up, so a potential Thilthorpe or JUH type who to me are significantly more talented.

While i think it was somewhat of an oversight, media heads ( cant remember who) discussed the best young key forwards in the comp. McKay was not even mentioned. Seems odd he isnt even at the forefront of these guys minds yet many on here are prepared to totally risk our rebuild AND future salary cap for McKay.
Not every single problem can be solved through the draft, mate. It takes way too long. Also, I love our u23 group, thinking of Simpkin and B. McKay at the top end of that, and I want to capitalise on their ability. If you continually defer to the draft then your age demographic gets far too spread out and you don't have enough players all reaching their peak at the same time. Over the next two years, but particularly this year imo, we should be looking to add as many good players as possible aged between 18-23, even if it costs future assets.

Out of the usual suspects the only one Id throw pick 1 at is Darcy Moore or Oscar Allen....and I doubt their clubs would let them go....same with Harry. Keep it for the best in the draft.

Not every single problem can be solved through the draft, mate. It takes way too long. Also, I love our u23 group, thinking of Simpkin and B. McKay at the top end of that, and I want to capitalise on their ability. If you continually defer to the draft then your age demographic gets far too spread out and you don't have enough players all reaching their peak at the same time. Over the next two years, but particularly this year imo, we should be looking to add as many good players as possible aged between 18-23, even if it costs future assets.
Stepho, Bonar, Atu, Young with Corr just north of that bracket. Stepho Bonar and Corr genuine best 22 with Young and Atu could really come on as well. Smart recruiting

Stepho, Bonar, Atu, Young with Corr just north of that bracket. Stepho Bonar and Corr genuine best 22 with Young and Atu could really come on as well. Smart recruiting
Age 1st Jan 2022:

18: Horne*, 2021 picks
19: Phillips, Lazzaro, Powell, Spicer, Ford,
20: Mahony, Perez, Comben,
21: Bosenavulagi, Scott, Taylor, Thomas
22: LDU, Hayden, Young, Xerri, Bonar, Stephenson,
23: Larkey, Zurhaar, Simpkin,
24: McKay

That's the core. Get as many players as possible this year in that age range. Waiting until kids develop who are taken in 2022/23, at least in my opinion, means we're not capitalising on the collective prime of the players in the latter end of that.

Also interesting is that Menadue is the only player in the 2 years after McKay until you get to Turner/Dumont/McDonald/Corr. If we nail it, we should be well placed to capitalise on the latter prime years of that group of players too, which would be massive, as well as a handful of experienced guys that might still be around in their early to mid-30s, like Anderson, Polec, Cunnington.

You dodged the question, would they be capable of flags? Of course the draft isnt the only means, but its one of the best ones. If making us better is the only measure we shouldnt have delisted the players we did. Im far from convinced we'd have enough talent on our list to win flags to be spending potential pick 1 or 2 on McKay. The last thing we should do is rush this rebuild and risk middle of the road for another decade- that would be a complete disaster.

Once we're really ready key forwards may well come to us as free agents, as JC did to Geelong.

Age 1st Jan 2022:

18: Horne*, 2021 picks
19: Phillips, Lazzaro, Powell, Spicer, Ford,
20: Mahony, Perez, Comben,
21: Bosenavulagi, Scott, Taylor, Thomas
22: LDU, Hayden, Young, Xerri, Bonar, Stephenson,
23: Larkey, Zurhaar, Simpkin,
24: McKay

That's the core. Get as many players as possible this year in that age range. Waiting until kids develop who are taken in 2022/23, at least in my opinion, means we're not capitalising on the collective prime of the players in the latter end of that.

Also interesting is that Menadue is the only player in the 2 years after McKay until you get to Turner/Dumont/McDonald/Corr. If we nail it, we should be well placed to capitalise on the latter prime years of that group of players too, which would be massive, as well as a handful of experienced guys that might still be around in their early to mid-30s, like Anderson, Polec, Cunnington.

If we take 6 or 7 across the mid-season, national, and pre-season drafts, that is 28 to 30 in that group. We would have to assume that a couple on the list won't make it and will be delisted this year or next.

I assume you don't think that P.Walker, W.Walker, or McGuinness will make it as they are all in that bracket as well?

You dodged the question, would they be capable of flags? Of course the draft isnt the only means, but its one of the best ones. If making us better is the only measure we shouldnt have delisted the players we did. Im far from convinced we'd have enough talent on our list to win flags to be spending potential pick 1 or 2 on McKay. The last thing we should do is rush this rebuild and risk middle of the road for another decade- that would be a complete disaster.

Once we're really ready key forwards may well come to us as free agents, as JC did to Geelong.

Richmond traded 6, 24 and 46 for Prestia Caddy and Nankervis. They were bold and targetted players that they needed. So yes the draft is great but trading for established senior players that fill a hole on our list works too. Evidently, they arent mutually exclusive either.

My personal opinion is that a 23 year old KPF is far more important for our rebuild and future prospects than another 18 year old who won't play until 2023, even if he is pick 1. And the age is really important. If McKay was even 18 months to 2 years older, I wouldn't be advocating trading for him.

Now do we have the cattle to win the flag with this current group, plus pick 1 this year, and McKay if he was here? Honestly, mate, who knows, so much comes down to development and a bit of luck. But I think getting the players in the age range that I've already mentioned gives us a far better chance than continually going to the draft post-2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we take 6 or 7 across the mid-season, national, and pre-season drafts, that is 28 to 30 in that group. We would have to assume that a couple on the list won't make it and will be delisted this year or next.

I assume you don't think that P.Walker, W.Walker, or McGuinness will make it as they are all in that bracket as well?
Yep, it's a given that not all those guys will make it.

They're rookies, so I didn't include them (although I noticed I did include Hayden, who I guess I just think of as a senior player).

To be honest i think we have zero chance of getting harry out of Carlton. But if Harry as a raw untried 18 year old is worth pick 10, what is his worth now he is a hulking 23 year old contested marking machine that sits 2nd in the coleman. Certainly higher than 10 in my eyes. And i would pay it.

Trade pick #1?

Anyone suggesting that needs to go and get something to eat. Your blood sugar is clearly ****ed up.

It has merit, but for only the very top shelf stuff.

Of course, PSD 1 puts the holder in a strong position for alternative measures.

I'd be more pissed at missing out on this than trading pick 1 for the right player.

My personal opinion is that a 23 year old KPF is far more important for our rebuild and future prospects than another 18 year old who won't play until 2023, even if he is pick 1. And the age is really important. If McKay was even 18 months to 2 years older, I wouldn't be advocating trading for him.

Now do we have the cattle to win the flag with this current group, plus pick 1 this year, and McKay if he was here? Honestly, mate, who knows, so much comes down to development and a bit of luck. But I think getting the players in the age range that I've already mentioned gives us a far better chance than continually going to the draft post-2021.

It all comes down to what Comben can deliver & I haven't seen enough to make any call on that.

If the footy dept are seriously bullish about him, then a H-McKay trade becomes a debatable matter.

It all comes down to what Comben can deliver & I haven't seen enough to make any call on that.

If the footy dept are seriously bullish about him, then a H-McKay trade becomes a debatable matter.
Seems idiotic not to take/trade for a tall forward on the possibility that comben becomes a good player. Most teams have 3-5 tall forwards on their books and North barely has 1 at AFL standard atm. Hoping that comben comes good has led us into the mess that we're dealing with this year and its just not worth it. We need tall defenders so even if we take talls this year we can surely move them around (KPF/KPD/Swingman).

Richmond traded 6, 24 and 46 for Prestia Caddy and Nankervis. They were bold and targetted players that they needed. So yes the draft is great but trading for established senior players that fill a hole on our list works too. Evidently, they arent mutually exclusive either.
indeed, and it should be noted they kept trading picks for what they needed even when the first effort was a bust - ie pick 28 for Shaun Hampson. When that didn't work, they rolled the dice against on Nankervis (and picked up a bargain)

Seems idiotic not to take/trade for a tall forward on the possibility that comben becomes a good player.

Noble hasn't struck me as a bloke who sees 2 x KPF's as a pressing issue.

He was happy to go with Larkey one out for 3 rounds until he worked out that wasn't such a good idea.

Also drafted graham and bolton that off season at 50 and 20 odd

A lot of talk on Oscar Allen and Harry being the big fish forward that we should target.

For mine, Jarrod Brander has the most upside and is also a more realistic target. Walk him to the PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back