Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have some interested onlookers in the thread sometimes who choose to remain anonymous. However they wanted to pass on the below.

“I recently caught up with someone heavily involved at the Chargers. I asked about Jerome Lawrence, his answer, ‘GUN’. Lawrence has not been involved in any football pathways until last year and his progression has been rapid.
He was asked by several clubs to apply for an exemption and nominate for the mid season draft. He wisely declined. Tall, Quick, skilled and on a rapid improvement. A ripping young man as well. He's a certainty to be drafted.”

For the record, 7 clubs asked him to he put up for the Colgate Young Guns squad to take a closer look at him.

I think for the best interest of everyone involved it’s time Jerome gave up on football for 2022 and concentrated on his studies instead 😏

We have some interested onlookers in the thread sometimes who choose to remain anonymous. However they wanted to pass on the below.

“I recently caught up with someone heavily involved at the Chargers. I asked about Jerome Lawrence, his answer, ‘GUN’. Lawrence has not been involved in any football pathways until last year and his progression has been rapid.
He was asked by several clubs to apply for an exemption and nominate for the mid season draft. He wisely declined. Tall, Quick, skilled and on a rapid improvement. A ripping young man as well. He's a certainty to be drafted.”

For the record, 7 clubs asked him to he put up for the Colgate Young Guns squad to take a closer look at him.
That sounds quite exciting.

Finally a good FS prospect

If Lawrence is a gun and potentially drafted in first 2 rounds that’s really going to shape our draft strategy.

Can he play back or just a forward at present?

If Lawrence is a gun and potentially drafted in first 2 rounds that’s really going to shape our draft strategy.

Can he play back or just a forward at present?
He’s a forward.

If we can get a gun mid with our first and then first crack at a mobile 196cm tall forward in Lawrence happy days. Lewis/Lawrence combo with Reeves/Ramsden floating through the forward line could look exciting, on top of the youth we have already ………. the list is developing nicely. We just have to be a bit patient 😩

Annoying we could've got him as a rookie selection however

Picks 23 and 51 is enough to match anything 12+ so it's still a steal.
we still might get him 40+ in the draft?, it all depends on if he gets picked for vic metro and how he performs there if he does.

NAB League clubs love promoting their players, so the fact an Oakleigh Chargers guy talked him up is no surprise, its good to hear he has developed a lot in the last 2 years, but is still raw

this draft is deep and his level of play is good, but not outstanding that he would go too high imo, unless he starts clunking contested marks or shows more pace than he has or leads all day showing good work rate and endurance i still think he will go mid draft to late

the MSD interest was there for many who didnt get drafted and ultimately its a glorified rookie draft in the end, not saying great talent doesnt come from rookie drafts, but the MSD is a glorified rookie draft, it is what it is. (the rookie and MSD are drafts where most of the top end talent from that year has been picked and this is where you give missed and interesting youngsters a go or talented early 20's State Players a go at AFL careers)

Last edited:
we still might get him 40+ in the draft?, it all depends on if he gets picked for vic metro and how he performs there if he does.

NAB League clubs love promoting their players, so the fact an Oakleigh Chargers guy talked him up is no surprise, its good to hear he has developed a lot in the last 2 years, but is still raw

this draft is deep and his level of play is good, but not outstanding that he would go too high imo, unless he starts clunking contested marks or shows more pace than he has or leads all day showing good work rate and endurance i still think he will go mid draft to late

the MSD interest was there for many who didnt get drafted and ultimately its a glorified rookie draft in the end, not saying great talent doesnt come from rookie drafts, but the MSD is a glorified rookie draft, it is what it is. (the rookie and MSD are drafts where most of the top end talent from that year has been picked and this is where you give missed and interesting youngsters a go or talented early 20's State Players a go at AFL careers)
you say this year s draft is deep

can you ellaborate further ? is it 30 deep or 40 deep where u can throw a blanket from 15 to 40 deep ?? etc

you say this year s draft is deep

can you ellaborate further ? is it 30 deep or 40 deep where u can throw a blanket from 15 to 40 deep ?? etc
the championships is the great acid test, so we will know more after that, but i think its closer to 40 than 30 deep, its not a weak draft, but its not a super draft either, i think its like most years quality, i liked the u17 championships they held last year, i thought it was of high quality, so im hoping the u18 champs is also of high quality.

Can we assume he would be happy to join the hawks via father-son if given the opportunity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any chance we could land 4 picks in the top 30ish?

Our first will be top 6
Our second will be 24ish
A 3rd as a points match to draft Lawrence as a F/S
Plus perhaps one more if Worps or similar wanted out.

Realistic or not?

Is there any chance we could land 4 picks in the top 30ish?

Our first will be top 6
Our second will be 24ish
A 3rd as a points match to draft Lawrence as a F/S
Plus perhaps one more if Worps or similar wanted out.

Realistic or not?
It’s not crazy or anything. A bit dependent on Lawrence been rated after our second but before pick 30. That is a small window 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back