Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackenzie looms as one to look at with our second pick. I would say us picking him up would depend on whether we take a mid with our first pick. He's been tremendous for Sandringham playing as a tallish mid.
Also, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of taking Mattaes Phillipou. He was B.O.G for SA today against the Allies in the U18 Championships. He's a goal-kicking mid who averages 28 disposals while having 78% disposal efficiency. His goal-kicking and ball-winning talents were on display again today, as highlighted by the fact he kicked two and had 25+ disposals. I'm not saying we should take him, but we need a goal-kicking midfielder who can get the ball, and he can do that. If he keeps this up, it might be too hard to pass up on him.

Also, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of taking Mattaes Phillipou. He was B.O.G for SA today against the Allies in the U18 Championships. He's a goal-kicking mid who averages 28 disposals while having 78% disposal efficiency. His goal-kicking and ball-winning talents were on display again today, as highlighted by the fact he kicked two and had 25+ disposals. I'm not saying we should take him, but we need a goal-kicking midfielder who can get the ball, and he can do that. If he keeps this up, it might be too hard to pass up on him.
I'm not rating any player until they play Vic Country and Metro, skill level was woeful in today's game.

I'm not rating any player until they play Vic Country and Metro, skill level was woeful in today's game.

Fair call. I think VM is going to be tough to beat, and be the real test.

Phillipou was excellent around the ball. He did a superb pirouette in a tight pack (right in front of where I was sitting), found the right option, and nailed a hand pass to a runner on the outside who was moving at speed.

I find with Phillipou is that his hands are great, excellent overhead, field kicking excellent. So many classy aspects…what I’d like to see more of his bursting from packs and using his kick out of the middle. I don’t see enough of that explosion out of the pack, nor is he normally at the bottom of the pack.

But again, let’s see how he goes against Wardlaw, Clarke, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Simples.
Our pick is before theirs.
Maybe not given our run of 4+ winnable games.

The tall vs small decision will be interesting. If someone like keeler keeps performing may have an interesting decision. A mid is generally the safer pick and can play early, but an elite tall would arguably have a far bigger impact.

Don't think we'd have access to Ascroft (Bris), Wardlaw, Shezel, Tsatas, Buslinger and probably end up with one of Hewitt, Clark or Phillipou ...But the tall fwds might make a leap if they perform at the champs.
Interested to get Davo's opinion on the 2nd tier mids and who would best suit our needs (class and X factor) ?

Davo-27 watched Ollie Hollands play APS on the weekend. Hard to not be super impressed. Most phantoms have him 2nd half of round 1. Would love him at the Hawks.

he has been injured for the first part of the season, he is obviously talented like his brother is, he was one of Vic Countries best in the u17 champs last year, he was good against Coll VFL team for the AFL Academy and i cant wait to see him under the pressure of the Champs, last year i had him just outside the top 5, but he has slid a little to late 1st round, atm i think that might be his range (6-20), the champs will clear it up, most of the top 20 look good at lower levels, but its champs and finals where you separate the great from the good and the good from the rest.

he has been injured for the first part of the season, he is obviously talented like his brother is, he was one of Vic Countries best in the u17 champs last year, he was good against Coll VFL team for the AFL Academy and i cant wait to see him under the pressure of the Champs, last year i had him just outside the top 5, but he has slid a little to late 1st round, atm i think that might be his range (6-20), the champs will clear it up, most of the top 20 look good at lower levels, but its champs and finals where you separate the great from the good and the good from the rest.
Thanks mate. Yes I sensed that if he has a good champs he is top 10. Such a smooth mover and excellent two way runner as well as prolific ball winner. Good size too. Could see him and Ward as an excellent partnership.

Davo-27 watched Ollie Hollands play APS on the weekend. Hard to not be super impressed. Most phantoms have him 2nd half of round 1. Would love him at the Hawks.

No doubt we will take him. It's the same reason we took Jai Serong last year.

No coincidence their respective brothers are guns drafted to interstate clubs.

🤔😄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good lawd I want us to draft him.

Where do the resident draft watchers/followers on here Davo-27, theiaofseed see him going at this stage? Will he last to pick 5/6 or beyond? Is he showing that he's got the ability to play fulltime midfield in the big leagues?
out of all the forwards in the u18's he is the most likely to be able to play midfield too, he will go top 10, maybe top 5, i know knightmare has him very high, most people have him around the pick 5-10 mark, the championships which i believe he plays in today? will be the real test, these u18's comps can be misguiding as some opponents are just weak and a good player can pad their stats ect, but champs trials and champs really show the real standard of a player.

Really need this kid. He is class. Have to finish bottom 4, which on last night is on the cards. Don’t need pointless wins to finish the season and cost us a gun.
Factor in norf getting a priority pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back