List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubai Quacker 28 Nov 2021
I’m going to declare my (stupidly early) WA draft crush for 2022.

Jackson Broadbent, a 202cm ruckman who debuted in the WAFL SENIORS (!) this year at age 16.

Mind-boggling that a 16 year old ruckman can play WAFL seniors.

See you in 2022 draft thread!
Geez, DQ. Do you start looking forward to your birthday on Boxing Day?

Dubai Quacker 28 Nov 2021
I’m going to declare my (stupidly early) WA draft crush for 2022.

Jackson Broadbent, a 202cm ruckman who debuted in the WAFL SENIORS (!) this year at age 16.

Mind-boggling that a 16 year old ruckman can play WAFL seniors.

See you in 2022 draft thread!
Don't we have a ruckman in the academy for the next draft?

From the Academy thread

From AFL DC

SYDNEY SWANS

Tye Gander

An athletic medium forward option, Gander is electric around the contest and even more exciting when leading up at the footy, getting on an opponents’ shoulders without putting a hand on them and sticking high marks or selling candy to open up more space, Gander is capable of it all. His leap is such a strength it is not uncommon to see him rotate through the ruck and win some contests, then follow up his own tap at ground level.

Billy King

A physically imposing but also athletic ruck and forward option, King wins most ruck contests he attends; able to out-body opponents well, but just as capable of leaping over them even when giving up a little bit of height. What makes King so dangerous is his strong marking when resting forward and good leading patterns, making him a danger when he gets on the move inside 50.

Joshua Nicholls

With a nice bit of speed to help him, Nicholls can fill in role up either end, on a wing or even through the midfield, applying the same level of intent to win the ball and use it. A jack of all trades type, Nicholls is good across the board with his skills and footy IQ, making him particularly dangerous when given the freedom to roam around the ground and impact where he sees fit.

Others:

William Sabolch
is a solid defender that can run through the midfield, with his ball use particularly impressive out of the back half and resulting in a lot of attacking plays. Bililign Robertson plays mostly on a wing but is more than comfortable in congestion where he can find a backwards handball option, whilst Christian Webster is a taller option that can play up either end with a good mark. Indhi Kirk, the oldest child of Brett, is also in the academy and possesses some impressive tricks as a small forward, whilst fellow club legend Michael O’Loughlin has had his nephew TJ Speedy Coe recently switch across from rugby, bringing a lot of speed and excitement to the forwardline.

A draft watcher, PMBangers, said that Billy King is his favourite from the academy and ranks Tye Gander in the top 5 in NSW. Has also said that Billy King could be a highish pick.

1 Darcy Moore please

We have two firsts to use if we chase a big fish, just gotta hope Melbourne fall off. I don't think it's in our style to do so anymore but if we go even better this year then Horse & Kinnear might decide that it's a good time to go all in on the premiership tilt. KPD is obvious but we can survive 1 more year without just Rampe and McCartin if our injury luck works out. Getting Blakey to play 3rd man up or interceptor might be a good long term solution to the problem too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have two firsts to use if we chase a big fish, just gotta hope Melbourne fall off. I don't think it's in our style to do so anymore but if we go even better this year then Horse & Kinnear might decide that it's a good time to go all in on the premiership tilt. KPD is obvious but we can survive 1 more year without just Rampe and McCartin if our injury luck works out. Getting Blakey to play 3rd man up or interceptor might be a good long term solution to the problem too
I reckon the possible inclusion of McCartin MK2 is a bet to cover short term means.
I think we will draft a KPD next year. McCartin is 23. Melican 26. the draft is supposed to be KP friendly.

Kennedy will retire so we draft another mid.

Naismith with retire ans well as Sinkers. We will draft or rookie another ruck.

One more draft pick left.

I hope a KPF. We have Macca(hopefully). Reid may have retired. Buddy is looking at sunsets. Our other KPFs are Amarty and McLean both 23. We need another developing KPF who needs years to develop.

We may delist more and rookie and draft more.

There's a little trap here.
With Tom and Rampe we have a pretty mobile and agile back 7 of good kickers. Bringing in a big KPD will probably sacrifice a little of that mobility and agility (I believe Paddy is a very good field kick). Changes our shape a little. I'm sure the coaches will have thought of that but if Paddy does come in it will be very interesting indeed to see who goes out and how roles change.

I reckon the possible inclusion of McCartin MK2 is a bet to cover short term means.
I think we will draft a KPD next year. McCartin is 23. Melican 26. the draft is supposed to be KP friendly.

I hope a KPF. We have Macca(hopefully). Reid may have retired. Buddy is looking at sunsets. Our other KPFs are Amarty and McLean both 23. We need another developing KPF who needs years to develop.

Interesting thought. Might be something in it.

There is sense to what you have written, however we still have McDonald and also Ladhams believes himself to be a ruck/forward as well. We are not a hundred miles away from having a bunch of KPFs coming through.

There is sense to what you have written, however we still have McDonald and also Ladhams believes himself to be a ruck/forward as well. We are not a hundred miles away from having a bunch of KPFs coming through.
When I said Macca I meant McDonald for clarification. I am not sure we have two long term KPFs in Amartey and McLean. With both Reid and Buddy retiring and McLean and Amartey both 23 it might be worth investing in the future with another KPF as they take so long to develop. I think that is what I meant.

When I said Macca I meant McDonald for clarification. I am not sure we have two long term KPFs in Amartey and McLean. With both Reid and Buddy retiring and McLean and Amartey both 23 it might be worth investing in the future with another KPF as they take so long to develop. I think that is what I meant.
Yeah I'm not convinced by Amartey or McLean yet. For sure they had a few games each where they showed they were at the level, but others they weren't. Even Jesse White had good games. Still, they've got more time. All for drafting 3 talls next year, 1 KPD, 1 Ruck (King), 1 tall-ish forward (don't think they need to be a monster) in that order.

I'm also not convinced we won't play Paddy up front. I'm probably more confident he'd make it as a KPF. In which case we might need 2 KPDs.

I agree. At the beginning of 2023 we will most likely have 3 KPFs: McLean (24) Amartey (24) and McDonald (21).
Ladhams may still be playing Forward/Ruck and Buddy might still be playing too. If so, add one year.
Definitely a good idea to draft a young KPF (18) into the pipeline.
Also, even if McCartinP is going great guns he will be 27 so drafting a KPD is a must.
A third tall would not be silly if it is that good a draft for talls, though King (Academy Ruck) may fill that spot.

All in.... bit hard when those picks will only be 17 and 18!? That's not as much currency as you think

I agree. At the beginning of 2023 we will most likely have 3 KPFs: McLean (24) Amartey (24) and McDonald (21).
Ladhams may still be playing Forward/Ruck and Buddy might still be playing too. If so, add one year.
Definitely a good idea to draft a young KPF (18) into the pipeline.
Also, even if McCartinP is going great guns he will be 27 so drafting a KPD is a must.
A third tall would not be silly if it is that good a draft for talls, though King (Academy Ruck) may fill that spot.

If King is main draft worthy he covers a lot of bases. KPD much more important, I would say mature age player and a draft age one, unless O'Connor really comes along... I'm a bit ambivalent on Gould's chances but he's got a year to change some minds

lots of chatter about needing KPPs.

Over the next two years, we will lose our..
Tall forward - Buddy
2nd tall forward / 2nd ruck - Reid
Ruck - Hickey
back up ruck - Sinkers
All round defender - Rampe

but over the last few years we have drafted / recruited..
Tall forward - Buddy McDonald, with back up from McLean
2nd tall forward / 2nd ruck - Reid Amartey
Ruck - Hickey Ladhams
back up ruck - Sinkers McAndrew
All round defender - Rampe Blakey, Gould, T McCartin, OConnor, and Melican is only 25
plus its likely we will pick P McCartin who can play KP at both ends.

It was interesting hearing Kinnear saying there will be no 'quality' KPPs come our picks in this years draft. That suggested to me that we're not interested in average KPPs, only quality ones. Some might put, McLean, Amartey, Melican, Gould, Oconnor, McAndrew in the 'average' bucket, meaning we have enough cover there. Its quality that I think we are after.
I think Amartey could be a better player than Reid; all of Melican, Gould, OConnor could hold down a b22 spot, McAndrew could become a good ruck... and, McCartin x 2, Blakey, McDonald, Ladhams could all be a-graders.

I dont reckon our tall/KPP stocks are as bad as people think. In saying that, I wouldn't be surprised to draft/recuit 2 more at the next trade/draft period (When melb miss the 8 we'll have a top 10 pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back