Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruitment and retention are massive problems which are common problem across all codes. As you can see from the report umpire abuse isn’t a massive problem although personally I‘d question that. I’d like to see the AFL stump up some cash to improve match day payments and improve coaching pathways etc. If you pass the costs on to clubs more players drop off as the subs increase etc. Plenty of clubs struggling for numbers post covid as well from what I’ve been told.

Anyway wasn‘t it umpire appreciation round recently, I heard your new umpires boss on a podcast. He spoke well, seems like they have some new initiatives, also interesting background coming from FFV. I bet they have exactly the same problems as we do.
I missed that round. On a golf trip. No one appreciates me anyway and fair enough. Umpires should be nobodies in the game. I still think payments to kids is still bloody good compared to working at a place like McDonald’s.

I missed that round. On a golf trip. No one appreciates me anyway and fair enough. Umpires should be nobodies in the game. I still think payments to kids is still bloody good compared to working at a place like McDonald’s.

Kids should be paid for umpiring. They give up their time to do it. It has real value

“This 50-metre penalty thing is the straw that broke the camel’s back. There isn’t a shortage of umpires in junior and community footy because of excess abuse, it is because there hasn’t been footy in town for three years. People have moved onto other things.”

Only his opinion but it is worth considering.

My son was playing footy and then soccer. Got in to the good squads but he decided that he'd lost too much ground to ever get into the pro pathways and at 16 was running out of time. He quit all team sports and got a job instead and is enjoying having money and a social life without a full Sunday gone and two nights of training and preseason games etc.

Only a couple of the really top players have stuck to it hoping to go further. The best one who is a school legend because he kicks 15 goals in a game etc has decided to give up and go do his pilots licence instead of following the sports route.

His old footy side has had to merge with another club to field an under 17 side and was struggling to fill it with that. His soccer club is a merged A,B and C grade squad. Local sport is getting decimated post Covid, especially in that older group who already start to break up.

Footy crowds are probably down on the back of it too. I find it hard to fit in around footy now. I used to time my life to the footy. Now I have new routines it's harder. Especially with Kayo. You have to push yourself to head to the game.

They do get paid. I think the money is very good compared to other part time jobs. Unlike part time jobs based on age tge umpires get a set amount whatever their age. That’s why it’s good money.
I’d argue it’s not enough and requires quite a commitment compared to a part time job it’s not the easy many think it is.

How much do you think a kid should be paid to umpiring a junior game?

$40 ph. You'd get them lining up. McDonalds and supermarkets are less but you get more shifts.

I’d argue it’s not enough and requires quite a commitment compared to a part time job it’s not the easy many think it is.
Well the kids who play at that age require commitment as well and they don’t get a cent. I don’t think commitment is to much at all because they are so short of umpires. Some might do 2 or 3 games a weekend and you are 15 or 16 years of age $150 to $200 is a lot of money. The ones at are really committed to umpiring would do it anyway.

Jesus North Ducked

Their top 2 recruitment men have walked out

I scoreboarded for a hot dog, chips and large coke lunch in the early 90's, they slipped me a tenner to wear white, wave flags and walk a bit on top of that. Incremental increase due to physical movement, as you want something watched, it will be like a hawk, you want that watched and you need to stand all day and make movements that costs extra.

Depends on the league and how much of an arse the kid is. My scoreboard always balanced though, also best make out spot since could lock the door, proving males can multitask on important things fine, most things just aren't that important.

And generally a lot of time commitment for travel there and back, getting to the ground an hour beforehand, training a couple of times during the week.

I work with a VFL/AFLW umpire.
I don't work in footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

make that 3 of them walked out

And Zurhar and their number 1 pick Horny Francis not wanting to sign on.

I wouldn't mind either of them if they are available. Zurhar is hard campaigner.

No I’m using my experience in local and junior footy. You can use yours if you like. Do actually have an opinion on how to get more kids to umpire or is that beyond you. Strange that you know I umpire yet you would rather back the opinion of someone without junior experience for the last few years. It’s weird how people could get so upset that they would do that but not much surprises me on here

Well my EXPERIENCE as a junior coach for the last 3 years, says that abuse has not been an issue, neither from parents nor the players, maybe my league is incredibly lucky, maybe the issue has already been articulated enough that both parents and players are aware enough.
As for knowing you are an umpire, I didn't know that nor does it alter my opinion.

I'm not upset at all, you seem to think only your experience on the matter counts, and no matter what others' viewpoints are, their opinions are invalid. I told whoever I quoted to not bother because we've done this before and you acted in exactly the same belligerent manner.

And Zurhar and their number 1 pick Horny Francis not wanting to sign on.

I wouldn't mind either of them if they are available. Zurhar is hard campaigner.
There is a stink about them not far away from no return

“This 50-metre penalty thing is the straw that broke the camel’s back. There isn’t a shortage of umpires in junior and community footy because of excess abuse, it is because there hasn’t been footy in town for three years. People have moved onto other things.”

It's an opinion shared across codes,, Junior cricket was down 50% last summer, basketball, and baseball are down numbers. It is a huge concern as these sporting bodies are one of the last forms of community left. It's not that they have moved onto other things, its that they've realized they don't need to do 2-3-4 sports a week, they don't need to be time-poor.

There is a stink about them not far away from no return

Agree my North mates have been having issues getting even their membership sorted.

Something is definitely not right down at Arden St.

If JHF doesn’t sign because he’s unsure about the club it will cause real upheaval. I dare say people spend a great deal of time covering their asses there at the moment.

They do get paid. I think the money is very good compared to other part time jobs. Unlike part time jobs based on age tge umpires get a set amount whatever their age. That’s why it’s good money.
Its really not, maybe on a per-hour basis it might stack up, but there's a lot of downtime for that payment, travel, uniform costs, paperwork, before and after the game, training, if they do any.

A seniors game is 4 to 5 hours if you include travel

1649828569695.png

That’s what they get, obviously it’s not enough to attract and retain enough umpires to cover games. Money isn’t the only issue but retaining kids as they grow older is an issue. Would more money and better pathways help, Imo yes it would.

I reckon crowds have dropped for one reason and that’s covid. Some are still scared to go done hate how you book tickets some won’t get public transport. I could never imagine if I asked someone to go to the footy and they said no way because umpires and rules have stuffed up the game There was no problem before round one and look how disappointing the crowds were then.
It's not even the crowds that are the issue. It's the endless trackwork and disruption.
I've had this year alone.
Tresspasser suspending trains,
A V/Line train breaking down.
Trains not running on my line.
Trains terminating short at Caulfield due to work.
All of it adds time to an already hour long trip to the city.

I was having a talk about umpires the other day. He umpired junior footy back in the 70s for Noble Park.
None of the issues that are raised today are new. Abuse was happening back then. Shortages of umpires were happening back then.

He reckoned the biggest issue when he was umpiring was the league didn't back the umpires.
He told a story of a final. It was between Clayton and Jordanville. They all rocked up and saw police around the place. Not totally unusual but it was more than normal.
They didn't tell them what happened the day before until they got out there.

Turns out the day before something happened because the "wrong team won". The old man and the rest of the umps were told by who was dealing with the umps that once the final siren went for thier game there were leave.....quickly.

In the end he gave it up because it wasn't worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back