Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the declining quality of the game pushing people to switch off?

Nah must be the time slot.

the simpsons adult GIF

Its not necessarily declining, most Grand Finals aren't clangers like this one was, but they will get one occasionally.
Sydney probably not a real ratings booster of a team either.
Would be interesting to compare the GF ratings per state this year and last year.

Its not necessarily declining, most Grand Finals aren't clangers like this one was, but they will get one occasionally.
Sydney probably not a real ratings booster of a team either.
Would be interesting to compare the GF ratings per state this year and last year.
Last 4 Grandies have been decided by an average of 64 points I think.
Even worse when it the same few teams there every year too.

Last 4 Grandies have been decided by an average of 64 points I think.
Even worse when it the same few teams there every year too.

There was that really good run around our GFs after the Lions dynasty where there were heaps of close ones, but since 2013 it's an average 51 point margin.

2022: 81 points
2021: 74 points
2020: 31 points
2019: 89 points
2018: 5 points (WC over Pies)
2017: 48 points
2016: 22 points (Dogs over Swannies)
2015: 46 points
2014: 63 points
2013: 15 points (Hawks over Freo)
2012: 10 points (Swans over Hawks)
2011: 38 points
2010: 0 points (Pies and Saints)
2009: 12 points (Cats over Saints)
2008: 26 points (Hawks over Cats)
2007: 119 points
2006: 1 point (Eagles over Swans)
2005: 4 points (Swans over Eagles)
2004: 40 points
2003: 50 points
2002: 9 points (Lions over Pies)
2001: 26 points

Not sure how they have a clue how many are watching.
Anyone got a ratings box?

I could be wrong but its based on statistics. So if you are part of the ratings system, it assumes the average number of people that are normally watching are watching. So it might be 2.5 or 3.

You have your Grand Final BBQ , and 15 people are watching. Ratings system assumes 3.
You go to your mates Grand Final BBQ. Ratings system assumes 0.
You go to the pub , its crowded as hell. Ratings system assumes ?
You go and watch it on the screen outside the G, Ratings system assumes ?.
You go and watch the game live because its not in W.A. this year . Ratings system assumes 0.

No wonder the ratings were boosted during Covid years.

You can see where the Sydney people switched to the Rugby before the presentations.

Anyone got a ratings box?
I was contacted a few years ago by the company that does this, they wanted to install a unit in my house. When I told them I didn't have a TV aerial they said it was no problem - when a light on the box lights up, press the button and note what you are watching (whether it be a show on Netflix or what have you). I think that was the process.

I turned them down, it seemed like a lot of effort. They said that each month I would have gone into a draw to win some stuff but still didn't seem worth it. It would have been fun to skew the "fat white idiot" demographic with excessive Downton Abbey viewing.

I was contacted a few years ago by the company that does this, they wanted to install a unit in my house. When I told them I didn't have a TV aerial they said it was no problem - when a light on the box lights up, press the button and note what you are watching (whether it be a show on Netflix or what have you). I think that was the process.

I turned them down, it seemed like a lot of effort. They said that each month I would have gone into a draw to win some stuff but still didn't seem worth it. It would have been fun to skew the "fat white idiot" demographic with excessive Downton Abbey viewing.
I did one with my family about 30 years ago I reckon. Had to fill in in pencil little boxes representing time depending on which channel you watched!

I've seen you say this many times, but I don't really get it. Does the second half of a season always show how you'll go the next season, and the first half doesn't?
No it doesn't, but lets take a wider look at it and look at the last 2 years
2021 our 1st half of the year was putrid and 2nd half was ok
2022 our 1st half of the year was bloody good our 2nd half was putrid

Ratts record for the last 2 years
2022​
21​
10​
11​
0​
47.6%​
10​
2021​
22​
10​
12​
0​
45.5%​
10​

I not blaming him solely but that is just not good enough and is exactly the mediocrity that Basset is talking about.
our win /loss % for the last 2 years is a very good indication of where we are as a club. I don't believe we have the cattle or expertise in the coaches box for a big jump next year

Also dont think its fair we pin our hopes on 3 young boys who haven't played 20games each for a big jump in improvement, its not fair on them

Personally love the day game, would like them to not mess with it BUT...

its definitely not accurate to say no one wants a night grand final, theres a pretty dedicated group the push the spectacle and TV broadcast angle. They have a point too.

My personal love of a midday barby and day drinking for the granny will never change but i can see why they want the night.
day or night whatever. What will make me happy is if they mandate that the grand final is an entertaining contest between two evenly matched sides who play with skill and aggression with the game in the balance until the final siren.

Viewership is entirely dependant on how good the game is. Just like the "crowd" debates about St Kilda. There are no crowds cause we play s**t football and lose. I'll rock up to a frozen hell hole with non stop ads and music blaring through my ears to watch us play entertaining footy and win.

Same thing for the grand final. I'll put up with ads and stupid entertainment and segments if the match itself is good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

day or night whatever. What will make me happy is if they mandate that the grand final is an entertaining contest between two evenly matched sides who play with skill and aggression with the game in the balance until the final siren.

Viewership is entirely dependant on how good the game is. Just like the "crowd" debates about St Kilda. There are no crowds cause we play s**t football and lose. I'll rock up to a frozen hell hole with non stop ads and music blaring through my ears to watch us play entertaining footy and win.

Same thing for the grand final. I'll put up with ads and stupid entertainment and segments if the match itself is good.

I don't care either. I'd be happy with a night GF if we were playing in it. Twilight is probably the foot in each that they'll go with so no-one is happy though.

No it doesn't, but lets take a wider look at it and look at the last 2 years
2021 our 1st half of the year was putrid and 2nd half was ok
2022 our 1st half of the year was bloody good our 2nd half was putrid

Ratts record for the last 2 years
2022​
21​
10​
11​
0​
47.6%​
10​
2021​
22​
10​
12​
0​
45.5%​
10​

I not blaming him solely but that is just not good enough and is exactly the mediocrity that Basset is talking about.
our win /loss % for the last 2 years is a very good indication of where we are as a club. I don't believe we have the cattle or expertise in the coaches box for a big jump next year

Also dont think its fair we pin our hopes on 3 young boys who haven't played 20games each for a big jump in improvement, its not fair on them
I don't want to pin hopes on the young boys either. No idea what happens next year but I don't think the performance in one half of the season is necessarily the indicator for next year.

We need change though I agree. Looks like a few big footy dept changes are coming and hopefully some improvement on field.

I don't want to pin hopes on the young boys either. No idea what happens next year but I don't think the performance in one half of the season is necessarily the indicator for next year.

We need change though I agree. Looks like a few big footy dept changes are coming and hopefully some improvement on field.

I want to be head of the Big Footy department. Another s**t choice to overlook the best in the business. Typical Saints.

There was that really good run around our GFs after the Lions dynasty where there were heaps of close ones, but since 2013 it's an average 51 point margin.

2022: 81 points
2021: 74 points
2020: 31 points
2019: 89 points
2018: 5 points (WC over Pies)
2017: 48 points
2016: 22 points (Dogs over Swannies)
2015: 46 points
2014: 63 points
2013: 15 points (Hawks over Freo)
2012: 10 points (Swans over Hawks)
2011: 38 points
2010: 0 points (Pies and Saints)
2009: 12 points (Cats over Saints)
2008: 26 points (Hawks over Cats)
2007: 119 points
2006: 1 point (Eagles over Swans)
2005: 4 points (Swans over Eagles)
2004: 40 points
2003: 50 points
2002: 9 points (Lions over Pies)
2001: 26 points
08-12 was the golden era of Grand Finals.

2005 and 2006 are overrated as games imo.

The next Grand Final that we end up getting into with miraculously coincide with the first - and last - ever Grand Final played at 10pm in Auckland.

"It really seemed like a good idea at the time" said then-AFL boss Luke Ball. "We have to admit that we got that wrong and will be scrapping plans to do this in the future and we apologise to fans of the Gold Coast Suns for compromising their first AFL premiership, and of course the Saints fans also. We hope to welcome footy fans back to the MCG the Home Of Football on the last Saturday afternoon in September next year to watch two much worthier teams fight it out for the 2030 premiership!"

The next Grand Final that we end up getting into with miraculously coincide with the first - and last - ever Grand Final played at 10pm in Auckland.

"It really seemed like a good idea at the time" said then-AFL boss Luke Ball. "We have to admit that we got that wrong and will be scrapping plans to do this in the future and we apologise to fans of the Gold Coast Suns for compromising their first AFL premiership, and of course the Saints fans also. We hope to welcome footy fans back to the MCG the Home Of Football on the last Saturday afternoon in September next year to watch two much worthier teams fight it out for the 2030 premiership!"

And in breaking news the AFL have restructured the new Father/Grandson rules so that a draftee can nominate any club his Grandfather played 98 games for.
Amazingly ,co-incidently, Tony Lockett's grandson , who has been compared with his grandfather but faster and more accurate, has nominated Sydney.

He stated that it is all to do with grandpaternal pride and that its nothing to do with the new supercostoflivingAFLambasodorandwedeliverchickstoyourdoor allowance.

Luke Ball stated that with such a high profile recruit he is confident that someone in Sydney will watch AFL next year.

Always thought the 01-04 Lions side was the greatest I'd ever seen. I had a look at their 2002 GF side and surprised at how many went on to have successful coaching careers;

Chris Scott - 2x premiership coach
Justin Leppitsch - 3x premiership assistant coach
Nigel Lappin - 2x premiership assistant coach

Not to mention guys that landed head coaching gigs (Michael Voss, Brad Scott, Craig McRae) and assistant coaching roles (Chris Johnson, Luke Power, Marcus Ashcroft, Shaun Hart, Darryl White, Clark Keating, Beau McDonald, Simon Black)

14 of the 22 that took the field in the '02 GF. Crazy

Always thought the 01-04 Lions side was the greatest I'd ever seen. I had a look at their 2002 GF side and surprised at how many went on to have successful coaching careers;

Not to mention guys that landed head coaching gigs (Michael Voss, Brad Scott, Craig McRae) and assistant coaching roles (Chris Johnson, Luke Power, Marcus Ashcroft, Shaun Hart, Darryl White, Clark Keating, Beau McDonald, Simon Black)

Bit of time on your hands ol mate?

Bit of time on your hands ol mate?
Just sitting back on my lounge brain and pulled that one off the top of my head actually, champenis. It's easy to do when you have superior intellect.

69dd4f6bea4966df9c8d167c03c8c909b3-13-wojak-00.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Yep, the output of the AFL merging Fitzroy to Brisbane…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back