Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

i'd like to share your confidence, but after reading the boys club... literally anything can be swept.

i'd say all will be business as usual by round 1.

which is a disgusting thought.

Yeah just have a quick investigation: "conflicting stories", "no clear evidence", "misinterpretation", "cultural differences", "best intentions"... Then back to work boys.

Is abortion illegal in Australia?

If you use intimidation and withhold, which is part of what has been stated, if say Ian or Amy had of levelled a 12 gauge and pulled the trigger, I'd have applauded them and covered the bodies.

Utterly reprehensible.

No sympathy for North? Why do they deserve this? That's like saying you don't have sympathy for St Kilda for trading in Andrew Lovett.
AFLPA the biggest elephant to ever exist just quietly wiping brows about how spectacularly they've failed all these players with services and support. Both them and the Commission also failed every single victim of Lovett by them just turning blind eyes and sticking thumb up arses.

All of this happens under their purview and they hop in in the aftermath to be all "don't worry people, we're here to assist the clean up". All of these crises and reviews showing just how little people gave a s**t about, is indicative at just how piss weak the governance has been in these instances.

That being said...

Clarko I can see getting nailed to a post.
Burt I can see getting nailed to a post.
Fagan is a lil murky as he's just there, existing, there's nothing where he's say sticking a boot in directly to get nailed to that post as he's generally just ignoring things or in a chair. It's more, he's the driver of the car and the other two robbed that bank feel to it.

All 3 should get nailed, but there is a world where one of them just gets a slap instead.

Hawks supporters really struggling that this has happened at their club. FWIW I offered my support as I realise that this could happen to any club and it would not reflect the supporter base.

No winners in this absolute travesty.

There are plenty who are looking back on the 'dynasty' and are questioning it all.
Can't say I blame them.

“The shocking report, commissioned by the Hawks, was given to the AFL integrity department two weeks ago, the league has confirmed.”

So why didn’t the AFL act on this straight away, because of Clarkson, Fagan, Finals??

Yeahhhh this part is wild. I can only think the AFL have taken their time to contact and check some of the issues in the report, and being satisfied there's enough evidence to go public with it have now done so.

The thing that gets me is Reeves in his conference this afternoon says that he only read the news report today like everyone else.

Um what? Surely the review that your own club did unearthed this issues?

An ABC report released this morning claims that the club-commissioned review included interviews with current and former players and staff members and found alleged incidents took place between 2013 and 2015.

Yeahhhh this part is wild. I can only think the AFL have taken their time to contact and check some of the issues in the report, and being satisfied there's enough evidence to go public with it have now done so.
Trouble is, they didn’t, unless they leaked it to the ABC

I mean that's always the challenge, right? I know a few guys who went to school with Andrew Lovett, they say he's a good guy who was hung out to dry by the Saints/AFL. So what makes him inherently less reliable than whichever unnamed person is in this story?

Criminal charges.

I just looked at the AFL website, but it's vague about the allegations. I'd appreciate a brief summary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“The shocking report, commissioned by the Hawks, was given to the AFL integrity department two weeks ago, the league has confirmed.”

So why didn’t the AFL act on this straight away, because of Clarkson, Fagan, Finals??
Why on earth did the AFL integrity dept not let North Melbourne know something big was about to go down with Clarkson and to find another coach?

Staggering they'd just let this happen.

An ABC report released this morning claims that the club-commissioned review included interviews with current and former players and staff members and found alleged incidents took place between 2013 and 2015.

Would that mean that Rath, Ratts, Bevo would be needing to be interviewed? They were part of the coaching group/football department at that time.

Many thanks. I only gave it a cursory reading there and will study it closer tonight. It's extraordinary and begs the question why they did it. Why would they be keen to break up relationships of indigenous players and prevent their having children? I can't imagine the rationale.

Many thanks. I only gave it a cursory reading there and will study it closer tonight. It's extraordinary and begs the question why they did it. Why would they be keen to break up relationships of indigenous players and prevent their having children? I can't imagine the rationale.
Do we know if they only did this to indigenous players or were there other players who were given simmilar advice

Maybe it was a seriously toxic relationship and the player was clearly struggling with it.

I've seen no proof so far that it was racially motivated. It came out because indigenous players were interviewed, but that on its own doesn't mean it was racially motivated. We only know one side of the story. Was this player in a desperate place looking for help? Perhaps they were simply given advice on how to escape a terrible situation. We don't know.

The abortion issue is probably a lot bigger than Clarkson and a lot wider than the Australian indigenous community.

One can only imagine how many sportspeople were pressured by their coaches, board, sponsors, etc to ensure their partners had abortions. I shudder to think how many female sportspeople were coerced in this way.

And that's just sport. Think of other entertainment contexts. What a can of worms. Could be another #metoo tsunami.

Getting back to this issue, it's worth remembering that this was not "In the old days". We're talking 5-6 years ago.

Do we know if they only did this to indigenous players or were there other players who were given simmilar advice

Maybe it was a seriously toxic relationship and the player was clearly struggling with it.

I've seen no proof so far that it was racially motivated. It came out because indigenous players were interviewed, but that on its own doesn't mean it was racially motivated. We only know one side of the story. Was this player in a desperate place looking for help? Perhaps they were simply given advice on how to escape a terrible situation. We don't know.
Yes, fair questions. It's horrific, if the allegations are true, and it will need to be established if the behaviour was targeted only at indigenous players. Whether it was racially motivated or not, it would be outrageous behaviour from a professional sports club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back