Training 2022 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I think his short kicking is actually quite good. He tries to roost the cover off it and sprays it all over the place. His kicking range looks to be around 40mt so he should try and keep it to that and below and his team mates should understand and not call for it 60 meters away

That's where we need to have our good users and get the ball to them. Hill should be in the right place to receive an uncontested ball when Gresham wins it out.

That's where we need to have our good users and get the ball to them. Hill should be in the right place to receive an uncontested ball when Gresham wins it out.

Hill seems to have taken on our skill set since he got to us. He has had a habit of turn overs at critical times lately.

I agree to a point but there can be a temptation for clubs to justify their investment by getting something out of a player like Hanners even when long term it's not going to get you anywhere. Hanners playing 60% game time and being managed or Bytel playing 60% game time and being managed look the same on the surface but in three years we all know which the better move will be. Swap Bytel with Clark, Owens. Byrnes or any number of kids and you get the same result, we pissed Dunny off to give opportunity, I hope we don't get tempted to move sideways to save face.

If we move forward to a point that we are a serious premiership threat it's going to be on the back of the players like Clark stepping up a level, not patching up an old warhorse for one last charge.
Our investment in Hannerbery is down the tubes however if he can get on the park and play to a good standard it will improve the team but then again lets see if he can actually get on the park.

I think his short kicking is actually quite good. He tries to roost the cover off it and sprays it all over the place. His kicking range looks to be around 40mt so he should try and keep it to that and below and his team mates should understand and not call for it 60 meters away
His kicking is fine when he wants to kick a drop punt.

It's his decision making that kills him.

Even when he's not under the pump he often kicks as though he is. Not sure if it's perceived pressure or what but it's very frustrating.

So often he should be able to lift his head, find a target and kick a drop punt but chooses not to look and throw it onto his boot as though he's trying to pick a mongrel punt.

Going by the magnet board in the rooms, looks like Gresh will be forward next season. I like it. I'm not sure his injury supports a full time mid role next year. But he can take all the clearances up forward and kick a few bags. 40+ goals from him coming up.
Gresh may spend a little bit of time in the middle and forward of middle, but as a small forward, who does he keep out..Butler, Higgins? I think those two as permanent forwards would be more likely to kick 40+ in a good year than Gresh.

Gresh may spend a little bit of time in the middle and forward of middle, but as a small forward, who does he keep out..Butler, Higgins? I think those two as permanent forwards would be more likely to kick 40+ in a good year than Gresh.
Gresham kicked 30 goals in his 2nd year and 35 in his 3rd before moving up the ground.

Neither of those two have kicked 30 goals in a season yet (although Butler kick 28 in a shortened year)

Gresham was tracking to be a 40-50 goals a season small forward.

This is the area he needs to improve , for all his talent he just seems not to have the depth in his kicking - hope I 'm wrong but as you say he has shown a lot of times his range is around that 40m mark.
Strange really because he has been good around goals around the 40m mark , is it timing when rushed playing in the middle - I don't know. Anyhow I hope he comes back strong through injury because he has hardly played in 2 years.

I was no fan of Dunstan for most of his career, he just came good eventually and I didn't see the point of culling one of your better mids when you have a pretty bare cupboard. It's like having a sh*t business and closing the doors just as it finally starts to make some money.

We didn't cull him, he culled us.

It was like we had a sh#t business, and it finally started to make some money....after the liquidators were called in.

Dunstan played most games in his first season, he had more than 20 disposals on seven occasions, he kicked 9 goals . He really never improved much and it was other issues in his game that left us unhappy.

Right now Bytel is like Robert Eddy 2008. He needs to improve, personally i think he can and will.

Not sure I ever saw Eddy do this

Not sure I ever saw Eddy do this

i don't know, the Robert Eddy highlights package seems to have fallen off the internet. I can also say i was totally unfair and Eddy was nearly 2 years older than Jack when he first played for the Saints.

Look if you go back through my posts ( but don't waste your time ), you'd see i've been Bullish about Jack for a long time.
And yes that was a good bit of play during one of his 2 outstanding games for the year. If he can start doing it each week i'm happy as a pig in the proverbial.

I didn't say he was never going to be better than Eddy , or that he played like Eddy.
I was comparing his impact 2021 with Eddy's impact 2008.
We think he can be great , he needs to head towards it.

Gresham kicked 30 goals in his 2nd year and 35 in his 3rd before moving up the ground.

Neither of those two have kicked 30 goals in a season yet (although Butler kick 28 in a shortened year)

Gresham was tracking to be a 40-50 goals a season small forward.

And so many seemed to be at big moments when the game needed someone to take control. That game that he won down in Geelong is etched in my memory still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our investment in Hannerbery is down the tubes however if he can get on the park and play to a good standard it will improve the team but then again lets see if he can actually get on the park.

Hanners to be our Tom Boyd. Just needs to get us the flag and the other wasted years are forgiven.

Hanners to be our Tom Boyd. Just needs to get us the flag and the other wasted years are forgiven.
Could well be but guys like Bytel , Byrnes and Connelly have a few years under there belt and may well over take him. However I hope he has a good crack this year because the pain he would have to put up with going through rehab would be draining and I'm sure he would rather be playing.

We didn't cull him, he culled us.

It was like we had a sh#t business, and it finally started to make some money....after the liquidators were called in.
Time to move on - Dunstan is in the past - look forward to the future and it's bright.
We just brought in 3 players who are faster and and kick as well as having Gresham , Clark , Bytel , Byrne so why are we still even talking about the guy when Ross and Hannerbery will be fighting for a spot in the 22.

Maximum froffage, been itching for more of this from Gresh

Man I miss Stuv now. He was always buzzing around at clutch moments too. Paddy McCartin at the end of the second video had all the grace of a drunk trying to tie his shoes laces while holding a kebab. He looked out on his feet.

I'm very generous that way. Win us a premiership and he'll be forgiven for taking a premier league wage per game.

Some how we've o get the 5th hardest draw in the comp.

Harder than 3 of the top 4 sides
6th hardest. And it's not harder than three of the top four. Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Brisbane all have harder draws than us as well as the Dogs who finished 5th but made the GF. Geelong is the only top four side we have a harder draw than.

1st - Western Bulldogs
2nd - Melbourne
2nd - Port Adelaide
4th - Brisbane
4th - GWS
6th - St.Kilda

Nothing wrong with it, we finished in that 7th-12th bracket and got the 2nd hardest fixture of that group (GWS with the hardest - finished 7th last year).

6th hardest. And it's not harder than three of the top four. Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Brisbane all have harder draws than us as well as the Dogs who finished 5th but made the GF. Geelong is the only top four side we have a harder draw than.

1st - Western Bulldogs
2nd - Melbourne
2nd - Port Adelaide
4th - Brisbane
4th - GWS
6th - St.Kilda

Nothing wrong with it, we finished in that 7th-12th bracket and got the 2nd hardest fixture of that group (GWS with the hardest - finished 7th last year).
Ok, well I guess it depend on who is doing the analysis. This from Fox Footy clearly shows we are 5th with a harder draw than Port and Brisbane.

FB_IMG_1639076163402.jpg

I'm really not too fussed, was just passing comment.

A bit of luck would have been nice after last year though.

Ok, well I guess it depend on who is doing the analysis. This from Fox Footy clearly shows we are 5th with a harder draw than Port and Brisbane.

View attachment 1294977

I'm really not too fussed, was just passing comment.

A bit of luck would have been nice after last year though.
I know you were just passing comment...

I was looking at AFL.com.au who ranked them based on 2021 ladder position I believe.

We actually can't have anything harder than the 6th hardest fixture because of where we placed on the ladder. Same as Essendon who are 2nd in that list.

Paddy McCartin at the end of the second video had all the grace of a drunk trying to tie his shoes laces while holding a kebab. He looked out on his feet.
LOL GOLD
Its not an easy thing to do at 3am

I know you were just passing comment...

I was looking at AFL.com.au who ranked them based on 2021 ladder position I believe.

We actually can't have anything harder than the 6th hardest fixture because of where we placed on the ladder. Same as Essendon who are 2nd in that list.
Well i think its definutely possible depending on how you anylise it.

Clearly Fox Footy have anylised it differently but as they say in their article they don't just look at where the sides you double up on finish on the ladder.

They take into account percentage, road trips, length of breaks etc.

And they have us with the 5th hardest draw in the comp.

Well i think its definutely possible depending on how you anylise it.

Clearly Fox Footy have anylised it differently but as they say in their article they don't just look at where the sides you double up on finish on the ladder.

They take into account percentage, road trips, length of breaks etc.

And they have us with the 5th hardest draw in the comp.
Ok lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back