VFL 2022 VFL R1 v Box Hill (Sun 27-Mar 12.10pm @ Vic Park) [Channel 7]

Remove this Banner Ad

I just finished watching the replay and here are some thoughts:

Wilson - I thought this was the best game I've seen him play. We don't win without him. The banana goal + the last two of the game to pinch the win. Stood up when it mattered. He was everwhere in the last. Big marks on the wing. Into the ruck winning hitouts. Kicking the winning goals. That composure was the difference between the two teams.

Reef - I really liked his game. Only 15 touches but it wasn't a high possession game for anyone bar Brown. He made an impact across 4 quarters. His two goals were class and kept us in touch. He won clearances. Competed strongly in the air, on the ground and tackled hard. One who I think did well enough to play seniors if called on as a mid/fwd rotation.

Johnson - Wow! Have we found one here? It felt like it. Gave Hartigan a shellacking and he's an AFL level key defender. So strong in the air. Quick across the ground. Has a bit of magic about his game. I was surprised how well he did following up on-ball winning clearances. Looked puffed at the end but pushed through.

C. Brown - I thought he was excellent. Lovely lateral sidestep buys him time. I'd happily have him in the AFL as a rotation midfielder if our depth gets tested. Better than Tyler has been.

Harrison - He has a little something about his game! I think his combination of putting his head over it and pace to find space is exciting to see. I'd like to see him win it at centre clearances more. In open play and other clearances he'sva weapon.

Macrae - I think he was just okay. I'm not too worried about a low disposal count (true of almost the whole team) but I didn't think he did much with the footy he had. I have a better understanding why he isn't playing seniors. Happy to watch him develop and gain confidence in the VFL.

Poulter - Everywhere in the first half, nowhere in the second half. I reckon he can fill in on a wing at AFL level no worries but he won't dislodge anyone until he's consistent across 4 quarters.

Begg - I thought he competed well in the ruck and provided a good 'up- the-line' marking target. After reading the match day comments I was expecting more. He was just okay against an assortment of key forwards. That said its still a good first game.

Ruscoe - I have big hopes for Ruscoe after last year. I thought he was just okay. Did some soft things at times, then put in at others. Needs to build his form in the twos.

VFL boys - Jetta is a gun, wish he was in our AFL side. Wouldn't have won without his work on the last line, clear head and neat kicking skills. The Egg was solid. Tardrew was huge, a real captains effort. Fowler (aka Borthwick the 2nd) was awesome buzzing around. True pace and great finisher.

Last edited:
Hopefully we have a clean bill of health and it isn't an issue. It could end up being the opposite issue at some stage, with Cox, Cameron and Begg all in the same team.
That would be interesting. Gotta take Kreuger into account too. I think we'll come a time when Begg overtakes Cox/cameron as that ruck/forward role. At least that's the potential hope for his future.

It was a low possession game. There weren't strong disposal numbers for most of the team even those with big contributions. My concern with Macrae's game wasn't how many disposals he got but that he wasn't damaging with his play.
Correct me if I am wrong, and if you don't, someone will, but didn't he have a sort of breakout game last year in the AFL last year? If so, he's gone backwards. If not, then he has a lot of developing ahead of him.

Correct me if I am wrong, and if you don't, someone will, but didn't he have a sort of breakout game last year in the AFL last year? If so, he's gone backwards. If not, then he has a lot of developing ahead of him.

I don't remember a real break out game but Macrae made some good contributions. It's only one game so i'm not too worried. I'll be interested to see how he responds next week.

Won't be an issue when Cox and Cameron are both fit. I wouldn't mind seeing a VFL listed ruck though.

Yeah, that's fair probably, although I'm not sure either of them will main ruck if/when they are at this level. It's a big difference from having Lynch ultimately and I agree with your second point, I think we'd be smart to have a mature VFL ruck on the list.

Yeah, that's fair probably, although I'm not sure either of them will main ruck if/when they are at this level. It's a big difference from having Lynch ultimately and I agree with your second point, I think we'd be smart to have a mature VFL ruck on the list.
They will split their time 50/50. Because Cox/Cameron will be ahead of Begg for the first ruck position if Grundy goes down. So while they will want them going forward as that’s where they are more likely going to be playing at AFL level they will want both of them getting good ruck minutes

They will split their time 50/50. Because Cox/Cameron will be ahead of Begg for the first ruck position if Grundy goes down. So while they will want them going forward as that’s where they are more likely going to be playing at AFL level they will want both of them getting good ruck minutes
Yep whichever one doesn't play seniors is back up KPF and back up ruck. Later in the year I wouldn't be surprised if they're both VFL, with Kreuger and Johnson having gone past them.

That would be interesting. Gotta take Kreuger into account too. I think we'll come a time when Begg overtakes Cox/cameron as that ruck/forward role. At least that's the potential hope for his future.
I think it's going to take a while. Eg. On TV, I didn't notice him involved at all outside of stoppage. When the game was in flow, he didn't seem to get anywhere near the ball.

Wilson - I thought this was the best game I've seen him play. We don't win without him. The banana goal + the last two of the game to pinch the win. Stood up when it mattered. He was everwhere in the last. Big marks on the wing. Into the ruck winning hitouts. Kicking the winning goals. That composure was the difference between the two teams.

Reef - I really liked his game. Only 15 touches but it wasn't a high possession game for anyone bar Brown. He made an impact across 4 quarters. His two goals were class and kept us in touch. He won clearances. Competed strongly in the air, on the ground and tackled hard. One who I think did well enough to play seniors if called on as a mid/fwd rotation.

Johnson - Wow! Have we found one here? It felt like it. Gave Hartigan a shellacking and he's an AFL level key defender. So strong in the air. Quick across the ground. Has a bit of magic about his game. I was surprised how well he did following up on-ball winning clearances. Looked puffed at the end but pushed through.

C. Brown - I thought he was excellent. Lovely lateral sidestep buys him time. I'd happily have him in the AFL as a rotation midfielder if our depth gets tested. Better than Tyler has been.

Harrison - He has a little something about his game! I think his combination of putting his head over it and pace to find space is exciting to see. I'd like to see him win it at centre clearances more. In open play and other clearances he'sva weapon.

Macrae - I think he was just okay. I'm not too worried about a low disposal count (true of almost the whole team) but I didn't think he did much with the footy he had. I have a better understanding why he isn't playing seniors. Happy to watch him develop and gain confidence in the VFL.

Poulter - Everywhere in the first half, nowhere in the second half. I reckon he can fill in on a wing at AFL level no worries but he won't dislodge anyone until he's consistent across 4 quarters.

Begg - I thought he competed well in the ruck and provided a good 'up- the-line' marking target. After reading the match day comments I was expecting more. He was just okay against an assortment of key forwards. That said its still a good first game.

Ruscoe - I have big hopes for Ruscoe after last year. I thought he was just okay. Did some soft things at times, then put in at others. Needs to build his form in the twos.

VFL boys - Jetta is a gun, wish he was in our AFL side. Wouldn't have won without his work on the last line, clear head and neat kicking skills. The Egg was solid. Hustwaite was huge, a real captains effort. Fowler (aka Borthwick the 2nd) was awesome buzzing around. True pace and great finisher.
Very good analysis Quicky. One guy you missed is a guy who I think is worthy to be on a senior list , and that is Lachie Tardew , the guy is too good for VFL level , I know it’s a big step up to the senior ranks , but I believe this kid has what it takes to be a very solid contributor, he is a great young bloke , deserves the chance to have a crack at it , I see a few blokes on our senior list who have been given ample opportunity to show us there wares and have not measured up. this kid deserves a shot

Very good analysis Quicky. One guy you missed is a guy who I think is worthy to be on a senior list , and that is Lachie Tardew , the guy is too good for VFL level , I know it’s a big step up to the senior ranks , but I believe this kid has what it takes to be a very solid contributor, he is a great young bloke , deserves the chance to have a crack at it , I see a few blokes on our senior list who have been given ample opportunity to show us there wares and have not measured up. this kid deserves a shot

I wrote Hustwaite but meant Tardrew! He was amazing. A real captains effort and we wouldn't have won without him. His defensive efforts in the last were really impressive. Stood up for the team.

Yep whichever one doesn't play seniors is back up KPF and back up ruck. Later in the year I wouldn't be surprised if they're both VFL, with Kreuger and Johnson having gone past them.
Yeah I don’t disagree. But Grundy rucks about 85% of the game meaning (ToG round 1 85% and 2 80%) Cox/Cameron see about 15% of game time in the ruck in the AFL.

No way when one is back in the VFL that they will only ruck 15% of game time. Begg may still be the primary ruckman but who ever of those two chop him out will likely be doing 30-40% in the ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I don’t disagree. But Grundy rucks about 85% of the game meaning (ToG round 1 85% and 2 80%) Cox/Cameron see about 15% of game time in the ruck in the AFL.

No way when one is back in the VFL that they will only ruck 15% of game time. Begg may still be the primary ruckman but who ever of those two chop him out will likely be doing 30-40% in the ruck
I meant injury cover. The bloke not in the team is depth for both KPF/2nd ruck and 1st ruck.

I don't remember a real break out game but Macrae made some good contributions. It's only one game so i'm not too worried. I'll be interested to see how he responds next week.
Just needs to get stronger and do a heap of work with Taylor Adams. They're getting him to play inside and he just got done for front position over and over. I think he's going to take a while and 2022 won't be his year. He's still a good prospect though.

Just needs to get stronger and do a heap of work with Taylor Adams. They're getting him to play inside and he just got done for front position over and over. I think he's going to take a while and 2022 won't be his year. He's still a good prospect though.

A lot of the boys look bigger this year under Wade so hopefully that'll help Macrae physically hold his ground in a contest. The positional stuff is development and experience. I imagine the coaches are focussing on this.

He looks lightly built given how long he has been in the system. Realistically, where would he get a game in our AFL team?
He was better in the air than I had him pegged. Looked like he knew when to lead too. I'd say its the WHE role he'd be depth for at the moment. Presenting from forward pocket to back flank. A lot slower, but I think he might cover more territory than WHE.

Just needs to get stronger and do a heap of work with Taylor Adams. They're getting him to play inside and he just got . I think he's going to take a while and 2022 won't be his year. He's still a good prospect though.
If Macrae is not really suited to the inner mid position, and there is reason to believe he is not, why are we seeking to turn him into another Adams? I was under the impression that he excelled at accumulating rather than crashing and diving into packs to extract the ball.

Did we not do the same with the far more seasoned Treloar? Released of the responsibility of contesting first possession, he is again producing high possession games. If Macrae is getting 'done for front position over and over' in the VFL, how long will we have to wait before we see him playing seniors in this role?

Anyway, who am I, a humble supporter, to question the wisdom of our suite of highly qualified and widely travelled coaches.

If Macrae is not really suited to the inner mid position, and there is reason to believe he is not, why are we seeking to turn him into another Adams? I was under the impression that he excelled at accumulating rather than crashing and diving into packs to extract the ball.

Did we not do the same with the far more seasoned Treloar? Released of the responsibility of contesting first possession, he is again producing high possession games. If Macrae is getting 'done for front position over and over' in the VFL, how long will we have to wait before we see him playing seniors in this role?

Anyway, who am I, a humble supporter, to question the wisdom of our suite of highly qualified and widely travelled coaches.
A couple of factors, he might not be a good enough runner for an outside role. He'll develop into a really big man physically suited to the role.

Inside mids take time - it's a really tough gig. And it's only one game of being out positioned. Plus there's no rush as we have a heap of accumulators ahead of him in the team anyway. He's not going to overtake Sidey, Pendles, Daicos, Daicos, Crisp or Noble in a hurry. Due to role changes, we've added 2 Daicos, Sidey and Pendles as competition for his current most suitable afl roles - accumulating outside of stoppage. Either way he's developing in the ressies.

Last edited:
Won't be an issue when Cox and Cameron are both fit. I wouldn't mind seeing a VFL listed ruck though.
Totally agree. We should bring in another Ned Moyle. A big lumbering kid (210cm) who could be handy in 4 or 5 years time.

VFL boys - Jetta is a gun, wish he was in our AFL side. Wouldn't have won without his work on the last line, clear head and neat kicking skills. The Egg was solid. Hustwaite was huge, a real captains effort. Fowler (aka Borthwick the 2nd) was awesome buzzing around. True pace and great finisher.
Don't forget Tardrew. He was about everywhere. Mr fix it. Mid. grabbed a few goals. He's one thats improved year on year.

Fowler I knew he was an avid goal kicker, but geez, he was fantastic. Your bustly small forward.

I watched the replay on 7plus and had Wilson's interview where his change of position was mentioned. He said he was put down back so he would be able to adjust to the game from returning to footy, to get his hands on the ball. But now he feels more comfortable. and he went to fly and said if he can move forward as he believes he can impact the game that way.

Last edited:
Really positive signs across the board I think.

I thought Poulter was outstanding, went missing in the middle part of the game but hopped up again at the end with a couple of crucial possessions. Kids will float in and out of games what is most pleasing is he was there at the beginning when everybody is on, and then again at the end when we needed it most. Great game.

Brown was outstanding as usual in the VFL, question is can it translate at AFL level, almost certainly not a wing or as a forward. So either play him on ball or not at all. His disposal looked good, kicking within his ability which is all you want.

I thought Johnson was also great, competed all day forward and in the ruck. Would love to see him leaping at the ball sooner rather than later in the AFL.

Begg, wow! I get what everyone was on about now. Looks like perfect prototype ruck for todays game. Great leap and agility, and great follow up efforts. What a pick up, thanks Travis Cloke…or was it Fraser that gave us the tip?!

Reef was another that stood out. Played above his level of experience and will be a long term player for us. Can’t wait for him to get a game. Will bring much needed speed to the team.

The rest were on or about expectation I think. Exceptions being Macrae who I think underperformed based o. Where I had him last year…our best first year. Kelly largely ineffective also, hopefully just a confidence thing that he improves with time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back