Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Who do you want for our first pick at the AFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say Watson could be a better winger than Sanders.
Really, I've only heard Watson plays Small fwd and can push thorough the midfield.
How's his tank and kicking into the fwd line from the wing?
It could be a challenge defensively if Watson is on the same wing as Caleb is CHB.

Last edited:

So we’re basically getting either Watson or Sanders.

If anyone listens to Gettable, I can’t see Curtain getting past the hawks. And if he does, we still won’t pick him.
I think we can safely assume this. For me, then it gets down to which of the two is the greatest need. Watson potentially is a match winner who could provide a point of real difference to the tall towers in our forward line. Sanders is a great accumulator and distributor who could be relied on for significant time in our midfield. I find it very hard to split them but what I do know is that our current midfield has had numerous misfires in the past few seasons particularly in crucial matches. They have particularly been burned by fast opponents who have the pace to spread from stoppages and flow quickly through the centre corridor. Does Sanders help to solve that issue? On balance, it's probably Sanders by a nose for me but we are winners whoever we choose.

Sounds like a can’t lose situation. Probably leaning towards Sanders slightly but got Watson would be exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had eight selections before we chose Chris Grant 😂😂
It was a very inexact science for a long time. Even Chris assumed the Bulldogs wanted his brother Jamie (the town star) when we first called.

Sounds like a can’t lose situation. Probably leaning towards Sanders slightly but got Watson would be exciting.
In simple terms it does sound like a win/win until one of them fails to make the step up then it can easily become a selection embarrasment. Granted I don't think that will happen with either of them.

I'd prefer Sanders too. Need some hardness in the team and done consistency.
As brilliant as Watson can be he can also go missing which is something the whole team is pretty good at at the moment.
Sanders consistency would be nice.

I also think we already have enough talent in our forward line. There is a limit to how many forward 50 entries can be converted into goals and adding more goal kickers might help get efficiency a bit higher but there are only so many goals to be shared around.

A player who focused on defensive pressure and doing team things like blocking and creating space is probably more useful than a pure goal kicker who might get in the way of other forwards.

With our list moving forward I think we're better off trying to improve the quality of our forward entries and stopping opposition run ons which I think Sanders will help with.

Yep... I'd like to see Croft Snr give a jumper to Croft Jnr
Nah, that'd detract from what is so special about the presentation of their first match day jumper.

As is their way, the AFL cannot help but **** with a simple but winning formula.

Players should be welcomed into the club by the guy who is going to shape his career and by extension their life.

The coach.

Last edited:
So we’re basically getting either Watson or Sanders.

If anyone listens to Gettable, I can’t see Curtain getting past the hawks. And if he does, we still won’t pick him.
Really, I think there must be intel which says he is gone by our pick.

Why wouldn't we pick Curtin if available. Gee this draft will be great to look back in a few years. I honestly think Curtin will be close to the best of the lot, apart from Reid and maybe
I think we can safely assume this. For me, then it gets down to which of the two is the greatest need. Watson potentially is a match winner who could provide a point of real difference to the tall towers in our forward line. Sanders is a great accumulator and distributor who could be relied on for significant time in our midfield. I find it very hard to split them but what I do know is that our current midfield has had numerous misfires in the past few seasons particularly in crucial matches. They have particularly been burned by fast opponents who have the pace to spread from stoppages and flow quickly through the centre corridor. Does Sanders help to solve that issue? On balance, it's probably Sanders by a nose for me but we are winners whoever we choose.
Interesting, I think Curtin will be gone. I think the club already know this, they all talk to each other. Gee it would be hard to pass on Curtin. I think out of the three he has the biggest upside and star potential. All three would impact next year. I would chose Curtin, then Sanders then Watson. Really wont know for about 5 years who comes out ahead.

Anyone here that wouldn't take McKercher if he slides?

I'd take him, but after that I'm split.

Would love Watson. Could make our forward line unbelievable. Marra, Naughts and Darcy is a ridiculously good KPF list for a long time, adding a ridiculously good small forward would be insane.

Would also love Sanders. A ready made Libba replacement and we suck without Libba.

Really, I think there must be intel which says he is gone by our pick.

Why wouldn't we pick Curtin if available. Gee this draft will be great to look back in a few years. I honestly think Curtin will be close to the best of the lot, apart from Reid and maybe

Interesting, I think Curtin will be gone. I think the club already know this, they all talk to each other. Gee it would be hard to pass on Curtin. I think out of the three he has the biggest upside and star potential. All three would impact next year. I would chose Curtin, then Sanders then Watson. Really wont know for about 5 years who comes out ahead.

If Curtain is going to be THAT good, then you pick him, otherwise you go for needs (Sanders).

It was a very inexact science for a long time. Even Chris assumed the Bulldogs wanted his brother Jamie (the town star) when we first called.
Yeah I remember, I just had never realised we had so many picks before Granty.

Back