List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Well that's just not entirely true ...

Collingwood think Darcy Cameron is better and Melbourne think Gawn is better.

Grundy is good at VFL level cos he's big fit and strong....

Different story when the game speeds up at AFL level and he can't play his "follower" game style
That's your opinion, of which you have stated regularly.
There are many here who totally disagree with you.

Last edited:
Heppell signed on today. Long career, 5 finals 0 wins

Why don't teams chase Dons few bits of talent,
Answered your own question. Because none of them have won a final.
Even if they're godd players, they're a fair chance of being habitually lazy due to standards not being upheld over years.

Not an improvement on Wicks in form. Clarke a separate question. Stirring the water for no real benefit. Konstanty and Magor look to be coming along.
I'd keep Clarke on for sure. Even if he plays VFL all year, he gets the ball. Our young players can't develop unless someone can get them the ball.
And if he's in form and we need a lockdown role in the seniors he's there to be selected.
And he's also a run all day fitness monster so good role model for the youngsters.

Well who do you drop for McKay? Fox? Rampe? I forgot all about Florrent and he is undropable imo
Has to be someone. At the GF it was Cunningham but he has come back strongly and is our only lockdown on smalls. Florent is very good on exit but not as good a defender as Fox. Drop Rampe or Lloyd or Blakey? Nope.
This is what happens when you strengthen the team.

Grundy , parish and McKay fir a 2nd rounder wouldn’t be bad

McKay isn’t worth big dollars that’s for sure
I for one would vote for a Big Mac spine that consisted of McKay, McCartin, mcAndrew, McLean and McDonald. Further Mount McKay is the tallest peak at Falls Creek, pairing beautifully with Buller. Let’s hope they are not all downhill skiers. Now it seems certain that we could get Grundy and Smith and all we would then need is a Richards (Xavier) for a premiership backline. And there you have the last 20 pages of this thread summarised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, a Grundy, Parish, McKay off season would be fantastic. Add in O'Sullivan and Clearly and I'd be stoked
Grundy and McKay in Trade, O'Sullivan, Reid and Cleary in ND, Cabor and May as Rookies.
Parish not that much of an improvement, if at all.
Huge winning season.

Agree, it’s a rort. There shouldn’t be any compensation for a free agent. That’s the whole idea of it being “free” there shouldn’t be a cost to the competition.
So if we were to lose Errol to another club in 5 years time due to FA when another club is happy to pay him 1.6M per year, you'd be quite content that we got absolutely nothing in return? I don't think so.
The idea of if being free is that the club who recruits him gets him for free which makes the move so much easier.

So if we were to lose Errol to another club in 5 years time due to FA when another club is happy to pay him 1.6M per year, you'd be quite content that we got absolutely nothing in return? I don't think so.
The idea of if being free is that the club who recruits him gets him for free which makes the move so much easier.

Sacrilege never speak of such words again.

my current take:
1- sign a 1 or 2 year max year RFA deal at $725k to trigger 25 year old band 1 compo for McKay. Get north what they want whilst limiting our spend.
2- trade top 3 picks for Gold Coast. Pick up O’Sullivan.
3- trade back into 3rd round for points for Caden Cleary
4- pick up crouch for midfield help
5- try to sign Grundy, if that fails get GWS Flynn….
6- Lose Stephens for literally nothing from north.

If (1) fails we get Howard from saints.

Delist a fair few of the reserves to make way for above.

Let us suppose North get the ultimate rort in pick 2 for McKay.

Would I be correct in assuming that Gold Coast’s first (say Pick 5) drops to Pick 6 - thereby costing them a bunch of precious points needed for academy kids?

And the double whammy of having to match North’s inevitable bid for Walter at pick 2 makes it feel as the Gold Coast REALLY get screwed by the AFL’s desperate (and unfair) attempts to help a Victorian basket case.
What you say is correct but you are forgetting the extremely generous concessions that were given to GC a few years ago.
  • The Suns will be provided with priority picks in the AFL draft for next three years
  • The Suns will also receive expanded academy player access for three years, including the provision of the Darwin region as an academy zone
  • Gold Coast finished rock bottom of the AFL ladder in 2019, following second-last finishes in the two seasons prior

What you say is correct but you are forgetting the extremely generous concessions that were given to GC a few years ago.
  • The Suns will be provided with priority picks in the AFL draft for next three years
  • The Suns will also receive expanded academy player access for three years, including the provision of the Darwin region as an academy zone
  • Gold Coast finished rock bottom of the AFL ladder in 2019, following second-last finishes in the two seasons prior
Part of this was tacit understanding that the AFL had completely ****ed up the set up at the gold coast. Players using demountables as gym etc. I'm far happier with support going to the gold coast who are actually building the game and the talent pool etc rather than giving North a bunch of help because the club itself is badly run.

I think the rule is that the number of selections a club holds going into the national draft must match the number of vacant spots on their primary list.
I'm not sure that's correct. As in the case of the Gold Coast. They will need at least 10 draft picks to be able to match the early calls that will be made for the three academy players. They are not going to delist players just for the sake of it knowing that the other seven spots would be taken up by players in the 60+ draft range.

As much as I’d like Grundy, I’m more eager to see McLean and any of our other youngsters sign on before I want Grundy.

McKay I am not sold on at all. Definitely not for 800K. If we’re offering more than 650 then we’re mad and we’ll suffer by yet again losing young talent that we could have kept.

Prioritize extending McDonald, re-signing McLean and any other contracts that are ending this year or next. That needs to be our focus before we throw big money at a decent defender. That’s all he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back