Half-forwards:Tom De KoningHarry McKaySam Docherty
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellGeorge Hewett
Jack Martin
Emergencies:David CuninghamBrodie KempMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies

Last edited:
Kemp and marchy both dropped marks last week and looked vulnerable. Neither really screamed keep me in. Dropping one sounds right. Kemp the unlucky one.
Just think with Marchy, he is very highly respected within the group. Has had a terrible run and now finally he is having a good run of games. Eight day break will help him and Voss and MC are showing faith in him to do a job on big Hipwood.
He will wear Hipwood like a glove and give him nightmares for months.

For all the talk of us being banged up, I reckon there's a fair bit of freshness about the team.

• Boyd hasn't played for a number of weeks
  • Cerra missed several weeks, came back vs GWS
  • Cripps didn't play vs GWS
  • Doc didn't play vs GWS
  • Fogarty didn't play vs Gold Coast
  • Hollands was sub last week, didn't play the week before
  • Marchbank was sub vs GWS
  • Martin didn't play last week
  • McGovern missed several weeks, came back vs GWS
  • McKay didn't play last week
  • Motlop didn't play vs GWS, was sub vs Swans
  • Pitto didn't play vs GWS
  • Walsh missed several weeks, came back vs GWS

That's more than half the side who have had rests of one kind or another in recent times.

Compare that to our (known) list of banged up players:

• Acres
  • Cripps
  • Doc

Cripps seems to be improving each week and would be close coming off that list. Acres and Doc really the only two to worry about.
8 day turnaround is also a big bonus. Team is hardened & will run out the game

I don't see how the side works without a late change. We are a forward short. We have an extra defender if Docherty plays there. We have too many defenders. Does Docherty really play forward? Maybe. He has to play a bit of mid this week IMO. Mids getting cooked with lack of rotations this finals series. Just seems a strange expirement to make in a preliminary final.

Then again we won a prelim experimenting and sending Glen Manton forward many years ago so maybe.

I do like how we have more run from behind the ball with Boyd in and we kep Hollands in which is good.

Could be a winner.

MC clearly want backline run/cover and have promoted Ollie as cover for the wings.

Essentially Doc is replacing cunners as a forward/ mid and Martin has replaced Owies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking at Brisbane's defence and see a potential to exploit and that will happen if we can get the ball in quickly. Boyd with Saad to rebound quickly with the aim to stretch out their defence, particularly if moving it in quick enough keeps Andrews with only the ability to get to one contest. Allowing the other tall and Martin to play the marking role.
Boyd & Saad both beautiful kicks , both strong defensively and can cover small fwds.

Like Boyd in.

Last edited:
McGovern to Charlie Cameron (or Raynor)
Newman on Raynor or McCarthy?
Saad free or does he take Charlie Cameron (think he has previously?)?
Z.Bailey the other concern = Boyd?
Prefer;
B: McGovern - Weitering - Newman
F: Cameron * Daniher * Raynor
HB: Boyd - Marchbank - Saad
HF: Bailey * Hipwood * Ah Chee/McCarthy
my nightmare is hipwood kicking 7 and then when they put weitering on him, Daniher kicking 5…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Charlie doesn't just wrestle with Gardner or Andrew's and work them over instead .. doc for a fwd and play Hollands wing works for me and bringing in boyd good- thought maybe would be kemp over cincotta but MC knows roles they want ( kemp failure to address when to punch and when not to leave his man has been costly last month) saying that marchbank dropping chest marks and missing several easy play has cost us goals also -- may be down to who weiters trusts more ..
Reckon we can win this if we defend our turn overs well to cause stoppage ..
McKay and Charlie work to chop each other out - so hard for Charles last week.

Martin and McKay back is hide for him. Clearer leading/marking lanes.

Ultimately trust the MC but I don’t like these changes.

I think we’re going in far too tall, which I think is a worry against a very quick Lions outfit.

We’ve got only two small forwards in the team - Fogarty (doesn’t kick goals) & Motlop. I worry our forward-half pressure (or lack thereof) will be an issue. Hopefully i’m wrong.

I think Jack Martin was by far our best and most consistent pressure forward when he was in. Definitely moreso than either Owies or Cunners. Don't underestimate what he will bring.

This is almost our best forward set up. Maybe if we had Jack as well who knows. But we have a very strong side out there. Just wish we weren't carrying those injuries to three of our best players.

Could be a late change (Cinc for Kemp) but I actually think we’ve gone with a smart backline. We’d have otherwise been too tall. They have Hipwood and Daniher and then a bunch of blokes 183cm or smaller (Rayner 186cm). This is where they got us last time, they had too much pace and got out the back far too easily. I really like that we’ve gone smaller.
Kemp is pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just think with Marchy, he is very highly respected within the group. Has had a terrible run and now finally he is having a good run of games. Eight day break will help him and Voss and MC are showing faith in him to do a job on big Hipwood.
He will wear Hipwood like a glove and give him nightmares for months.
7 games off and ACL and injured for a good portion of the season. Has worked really hard, no doubt… but Kemp v Marchbank on stats alone

Kemp marchy
Rebound 50 4 0
I50. 2. 0
Tackles. 2. 1
ToG. 94%. 82%
clangers. 4. 3
Marks. .3. 5
Disposals. 14. 12

Marchy has improved but there’s no way he’s doing better than Kemp atm imo.

Obviously MC is seeing something different at training.

7 games off and ACL and injured for a good portion of the season. Has worked really hard, no doubt… but Kemp v Marchbank on stats alone

Kemp marchy
Rebound 50 4 0
I50. 2. 0
Tackles. 2. 1
ToG. 94%. 82%
clangers. 4. 3
Marks. .3. 5
Disposals. 14. 12

Marchy has improved but there’s no way he’s doing better than Kemp atm imo.

Obviously MC is seeing something different at training.

Missing a crucial stat for a defender...goals conceded directly from their actions or inactions.

Don't think there is a proper recorded stat for that but the eye test shows Kemp cost us quite a few goals the last 2 weeks.

Twice the commentators last week pointed out Kemp left his man free out the back to kick a goal when he went to impact a contest...but didn't. Smith and Fritsch were the goal kickers if you want to go back and take a look.

Joel Smith was beating him badly enough that we moved Weitering to him pretty early.

Even against Sydney McDonald kicked a few pretty easy goals with Kemp giving him farr too much space.

Interesting to look back at our Consensus Best 23 Preseason now we've got our best team with the benefit of form and fitness bar Zac in a prelim (still can't believe it). As a 25, not too many changes aside from the Cinc surprise and Fish, Durds, Young and SOS dropping out.

23 Consensus 23

FB
: Docherty - Weitering - McGovern
HB
: Williams - Young - Saad
C
: Acres - Cripps - Walsh
HF
: Silvagni - Curnow - Fisher
FF
: Motlop - McKay - Durdin
R