Half-forwards:Tom De KoningHarry McKaySam Docherty
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellGeorge Hewett
Jack Martin
Emergencies:David CuninghamBrodie KempMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies

Last edited:
The ideal match up was if Young decided he can play football.

But alas.
More of a want than a can.

You can lead a horse to water...

The ideal match up was if Young decided he can play football.

But alas.

We search again for a 200cm defender with skills and footy IQ. Unless we can work Sam Durdin into the mix next year somehow.

Boyd doesn't come in for Owies, he comes in for Kemp. It isn't just about pace, but being switched on, which Kemp unfortunately lacked last week against Smith. I feel better about Boyd having to defend small, than I would Kemp, Marchbank or McGovern. Marchbank I guess at least got to the right spots, even if he dropped more marks than you'd like, which you'd assume he wouldn't do two weeks in a row.

Owies is the surprise omission to me. Despite some putrid disposal and inability to affect contests, he kicked a crucial goal in the 4th and would have been in line to have his 50th in a prelim. Hollands isn't a straight swap for him, but allows Cottrell and the other wingers to spend more time forward.

More run from our defence and wingers, with multiple genuine marking targets up forward. On paper, it gives us more avenues forward through run and spread, and when we do resort to bombing to packs, it won't just be DeKoning and Curnow going up for them.

I'm surprised at how many changes the committee were willing to make. They're certainly not gonna die wondering what could've been if they were more bold in their selections.

Very rare I would have thought to have 4 unforced changes heading into a prelim final!

Like it though, it's bold and I think the right calls.

I feel sorry for Kemp, and hope that he will be the Sub - as he gives us flexibility

Apart from that, I’m really happy with the changes.

Lower performed players out and in cone all the strengths that we need - what more can we ask from our selection committee this week?

We are fielding a damn strong side and have our best chance to win this week

I’m excited - Let’s go Baggers!!!

Like the changes. In the past, Lions have been fragile when pressure applied but I reckon they’ve toughened up a bit this year. Will be a cracker of a game. It won't just be about who matches up with who, but how well our players play as a team. With the pressure they'll apply, I reckon we've got this.

Boyd doesn't come in for Owies, he comes in for Kemp. It isn't just about pace, but being switched on, which Kemp unfortunately lacked last week against Smith. I feel better about Boyd having to defend small, than I would Kemp, Marchbank or McGovern. Marchbank I guess at least got to the right spots, even if he dropped more marks than you'd like, which you'd assume he wouldn't do two weeks in a row.

Owies is the surprise omission to me. Despite some putrid disposal and inability to affect contests, he kicked a crucial goal in the 4th and would have been in line to have his 50th in a prelim. Hollands isn't a straight swap for him, but allows Cottrell and the other wingers to spend more time forward.

More run from our defence and wingers, with multiple genuine marking targets up forward. On paper, it gives us more avenues forward through run and spread, and when we do resort to bombing to packs, it won't just be DeKoning and Curnow going up for them.

I'm surprised at how many changes the committee were willing to make. They're certainly not gonna die wondering what could've been if they were more bold in their selections.
My concern with Marchbank is just his slow response to the situation when in possession. I love Marchy but I think Kemp has gone past him. Or will go past him. Kemp has maybe just shown he's a bit green in finals. Geez it's tough to make these calls but Owies is a firestarter. He only needs to get on the end of one and he will ignite side and silence a crowd. Also takes his opportunities and is incredibly accurate. Hard to make a small forward sub if you are in front or behind. It'd be Cunners or Kennedy for mine. Someone who can go through the Midfield if someone goes down (and we are bruised in there) or forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern with Marchbank is just his slow response to the situation when in possession. I love Marchy but I think Kemp has gone past him. Or will go past him. Kemp has maybe just shown he's a bit green in finals. Geez it's tough to make these calls but Owies is a firestarter. He only needs to get on the end of one and he will ignite side and silence a crowd. Also takes his opportunities and is incredibly accurate. Hard to make a small forward sub if you are in front or behind. It'd be Cunners or Kennedy for mine. Someone who can go through the Midfield if someone goes down (and we are bruised in there) or forward.

Kemp may well go past Marchbank in the future, he’s an enormous talent. But right now as a pure defender and ability to lock down, I’d be taking Marchbank over Kemp. Weiters and Marchy take Daniher and Hipwood and Gov gets to play third tall and be creative. It’s a better balanced lineup to handle Brisbane.

For me, Owies is the really unlucky omission this week. Out of all our small forwards he has the best leading patterns and is involved in the most scoring chains. He naturally comes up at the ball carrier and gives us an option. Fog is a pressure small (not a big scorer) and Mots gets most of his goals from reading the play off packs better than others. They all have different strengths. So it’s simply a matchup thing and/or to accommodate Martin who had to come back in.

Kemp may well go past Marchbank in the future, he’s an enormous talent. But right now as a pure defender and ability to lock down, I’d be taking Marchbank over Kemp. Weiters and Marchy take Daniher and Hipwood and Gov gets to play third tall and be creative. It’s a better balanced lineup to handle Brisbane.

For me, Owies is the really unlucky omission this week. Out of all our small forwards he has the best leading patterns and is involved in the most scoring chains. He naturally comes up at the ball carrier and gives us an option. Fog is a pressure small (not a big scorer) and Mots gets most of his goals from reading the play off packs better than others. They all have different strengths. So it’s simply a matchup thing and/or to accommodate Martin who had to come back in.
Very good but difficult position to be in with depth in positions on every line. Everyone is saying it's Kemp for Boyd when I think its actually Owies for Boyd in that we are choosing defense over attack.

We won both weeks because 9.14 and 9.17 is horrendous kicking. We could have easily lost by 3-5 goals. The part of the game where we won was because the opposition made mistakes.

We did some really good things. We also got outplayed a fair bit and we got lucky. Opportunities like this don't always fall your way and you do need an element of luck.

But reviewing the performance where something like this happens. You do have to view it similar to a loss.

19 scoring shots to 26 and 18 scoring shots to 26. You would expect them to be losses. Luck dictated that they weren't
I don’t , I reckon we should have pumped Sydney , mckay kicks those 2 goals we win easily and we are home easily .. the melb one I give you

Very good but difficult position to be in with depth in positions on every line. Everyone is saying it's Kemp for Boyd when I think its actually Owies for Boyd in that we are choosing defense over attack.
It docherty for cunners Holland to a wing Kennedy for Martin owies for H boyd for kemp

Cunners for Hollands
Kennedy for McKay
Owies for Martin
Kemp for Boyd

How else would you have for the replacements above?

Last edited:
Cunners for Hollands (Doch for Hollands/Cunners for Doch)
Kennedy for McKay
Owies for Martin
Kemp for Boyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An alternative way of looking at it is:

Martin comes in for Cuningham as the half forward

Hollands comes in for Owies as they intend to play Cottrell mostly as a pressure forward instead of Owies and have Hollands play the wing including falling back to help defend

The roles of Fogarty, Cottrell, Martin and Motlop are key - lock in the ball in our forward half and cut down the number of Lions inside 50s - apply pressure rating above 200+ and force the Lions into mistakes

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kind of rate these moves to be honest.

Bold inclusions required to win a game up there. Love that we have depth now. If you don’t deliver in your role, then someone else comes straight in.

Good luck Boyd!

Feels like we might have learned a bit of a lesson from last week where we might have struggled with a few smaller matchups in our back line.

Lions would be quaking in their boots looking at our 22.

Some bloody hard match ups for them.

Maybe there are a couple of guys who could be considered unlucky but Owies, Kemp and Cuners were all under or non performers last weekend.

Love that young Hollands is in for a full game - he's just hungry and driven.

Boyd is as tough as they come, quick and skilful - reckon he and Zorko might clash!

One of Harry and Charlie will get off the leash on Saturday.

Nothing is surer.

Go Blues.

I don't know if they'd be quaking in their boots but they'll certainly be very worried about Paine missing in particular. Even if Gardiner is a decent backup.

Charlie or Harry have to put them to the sword this week.

Funny how in our biggest game in 10 years we have arguably our least injury impacted playing list.

All of a sudden there are 5-10 blokes desperately unlucky to miss out.

Boyd is an obviously in for Cameron which is the crucial match up. He was suspended not injured and has played VFL and scratch match absolutely no reason not to pick him. I love Kemp but unfortunately once the coach is forced to move Weitering onto your opponent within a half you are always at risk to get dropped.

Boyd deserves his spot he was fantastic before the suspension. So excited that Dutch has forced his way into the 22. I just love the way he plays.

I love the ruthlessness of the changes as Vossy is showing them this is not a popularity contest this about getting to a grand final!! Let’s go!!

How motivated is Boyd going to be???

Knowing a good performance keeps him in the team - but even a slightly rusty showing and he's out next week.

Charlie Cameron might be in for an interesting night.

They have a plan. I like plans.

Changes some of the roles and therefore some of the players to play them. Still build from the contest but a bit more run to pressure Lions and make our own attacks.

Looking forward to another 4 quarters from this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back