Preview 2023 Rd 3 Carlton vs GWS Saturday April 1 4:35PM (ADST) @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gorgeous George is back :thumbsu:

IN: George Hewett

OUT: Matthew Kennedy (calf), Lochie O’Brien

Kennedy developed soreness in his calf during the week. He will not make the trip to Sydney and at this stage is a chance to return next week.

Backs:Mitch McGovernJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Sam DochertyLewis YoungAdam Saad
Centreline:Ed CurnowPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowZac Fisher
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Lachie CowanOllie HollandsJesse Motlop
Marc Pittonet
Emergencies:Paddy DowJosh HoneyLochie O'Brien
Lachie Plowman

GWS lead us 9-5 overall.

We have had some shameful performances against this mob.

TIME FOR SOME REVENGE! LET'S SMASH EM WHILE THEY'RE DOWN! WHO'S WITH ME?!?!?!
giphy.gif

This makes no sense to me.

LOB's biggest strength is his fitness and ability to run for 4 quarters.

If you're brining in a guy for a quarter each week, pick someone who is more of an impact player or lacks the fitness (Dow?).

And it's not like he's a utility that gives us cover across multiple positions either.

He's probably 'next best' after the 22. But still, seems like a poor pick.
It seems strange but Maybe Acres is the versatile player and LOB can take his place on the wing?

We are $1.52:favourites and them $2.50 .

I swear that some people on here are forever hoping (maybe secretly) that we lose so that they can come on here and tell us how much more they know about afl than everyone involved with the club.
There is a lot more “knowledge” in the chat after a loss!

Unfortunately mate, Dows days are numbered at Carlton and we all should be across this by now.
I am across this.

I meant more as an example. He was often good for a quarter and then disappeared.

Someone like Dow.

FFS what is with these dAnGeR gAmE posts

GWS just lost to WC and barely won against Adelaide. We just beat the reigning premiers and are sitting 7th on the ladder.

WE ARE A FAR SUPERIOR SIDE TO THEM! Have a bit of optimism in your life, in what world is this a danger game?
I'm more a measured guy than a lid off kinda guy. And I remember how we were definitely playing finals a few rounds in last year, too.
It's not that I don't hope they are as good as you say. Perhaps I'm hoping that the team is as cautious as I feel rather than just watching the other team's formline and thinking it's a formality.

Somewhat agree, but what happens if we need to activate the sub by the 1st qtr?

Personally, I would have LOB in the starting 22, with Jsos as the sub
I've been trying to understand possible variations on sub. One way I see it with 75 interchanges in game, maybe can have nearly 20 interchanges in each of first 3 quarters, then in final quarter bring on runner (like LOB) who doesn’t get interchanged but is told to run, and other players are interchanged. And a player like LOB or Cottrell could act as sub if there is an earlier injury of say a tall (let's say McGovern), and various others are moved (eg Doch goes back more to help with Weitering and Young), and sub acts as rotation to help on-ballers/Wings, etc...

So apparently this is rivalry round … well I must say our rivalry with the GWS has been epic …

Lots of history in this one...

The Kennedy Cup
The Plowman Plate
The Sumner Shield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good opportunity to be at least 5W 1D 1L by end of round 7.

Anything can happen but we are likely favourites in our next 5 games, I've just accounted for 1 slip up along the way.

GWS
North
Adelaide
Saints
West Coast

GWS, Adelaide and West Coast all away games...very strange for us to have 3 interstate games in 6 weeks so that and any injuries could take a toll.
Go * yourself with 1 slip up loss

Go * yourself with 1 slip up loss
We will be favourite in all. All of the oppo will be up and about and we will be the hunted. They will be after a scalp, will be a great test of where we are at. I want to see some subtle changes to the 22/23 to keep the blokes on edge and the motivation up.

On topic, GWS always make me nervous.

Really interested to see what kind of form we show tomorrow. I've said that if we can get/keep our dynamic players fit, we have a list that can threaten for the flag this year. From there, it's coaching, structure and attitude imo. Hopefully that's all in order. With Cunners returning and Walsh on the mend and possibly not too far away, that's another couple of dynamic, mature players to add to the 22, with only a couple more to go. Enhances the capabilities of the team so much.

Rd1 was disappointing (happy to have walked away with the 2 points), Rd2 was promising, but we were playing a fairly beaten up Cats outfit. Happy to bank the wins for now, but IF we can grow from the Cats game and win some of these coming "easier" games in a similar fashion - with authority, playing the angles, taking the game on and defending with a combative, high pressure style - we should start believing that 2023 could be our year and embrace the possibility and challenge.

Last edited:
If we win, we can be as high as 3rd on the ladder. If we lose, can be as low as 11th. I know it's only 1 game in a long season, but for me this is one of those 'must win games'. Prefer a 10 goal win, but 1 point W will do me...
It is important because last year those games we dropped to teams like Adelaid and Gold Coast that were both games that should have been wins come back to haunt us. We are not in the position to be dropping games like this. I think this game is more important than games like Geelong, because these are the games you should be banking your W's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back